P1000 My Pioneer is turning on me!!!

I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
2 weekends ago I did my first service, 105 miles and about 19 hours. I changed all the fluids out with Klotz 10W/40 Synthetic oil meant for Intergrated Transmissions in UTVS.

Klo 16 oil atv utv syn 4st mot int tra 10w 40 32oz

The next day I took it out to Interlake ORV Park in Lynnville, IN. I could tell a world of difference in the engine and tranny running smoother and almost no shudder.

Went to go through a mud hole everyone was getting stuck in and there was no other way around it. I go by the "Pin it to Win it" method cause it usually never fails me. It failed me kinda. I made it through which I was the only vehicle to do it without winching. But. The front right tire blew right off the bead with that loud air whoosh sound. I stopped and checked it out. I was so concerned with front tire that I didn't notice both rear tires were sitting there flat also. We messed around and blew the front tire back on the bead. Then found out there was about a 1/4" slash in the side wall. Then the right rear had a 2" slash in the sidewall. Luckily the left rear took air, I don't know how it went flat and wash still on the bead.

So last week I got some 28" roctane's and STI HD6 rims.

Then this last weekend I went to Mudfest at Gregory Lake in Drakesboro, KY. The second day there I had 3 passengers and a cooler. About an hour into riding I noticed it acting funny going into third gear. I knew immediately what was happening.

I run this thing in low pretty much all the time unless I'm driving down the road. I never shift from 2x4 to 4x4 while moving. Im right about 130 miles. I'm gonna take it into the stealership tomorrow and see if they agree that its the same thing.

Here's the pictures of the oil and filters after my change. I really think the oil looked very good. The Transmission oil looked almost new.

I forgot to mention this all happened after someone stuck a Can-Am sticker on the right side. Which is the side that both tires blew on.
20160423 192916 20160423 192919 20160423 192923 20160424 144108 Edited 20160424 195537

Reactions: Tot
D

Dasmoeturhead

2 weekends ago I did my first service, 105 miles and about 19 hours. I changed all the fluids out with Klotz 10W/40 Synthetic oil meant for Intergrated Transmissions in UTVS.

View attachment 14527

The next day I took it out to Interlake ORV Park in Lynnville, IN. I could tell a world of difference in the engine and tranny running smoother and almost no shudder.
Bummer, but I'm confused. You think the oil change caused this? That oil looks pretty dirty for a bit over 100 miles.

Went to go through a mud hole everyone was getting stuck in and there was no other way around it. I go by the "Pin it to Win it" method cause it usually never fails me. It failed me kinda. I made it through which I was the only vehicle to do it without winching. But. The front right tire blew right off the bead with that loud air whoosh sound. I stopped and checked it out. I was so concerned with front tire that I didn't notice both rear tires were sitting there flat also. We messed around and blew the front tire back on the bead. Then found out there was about a 1/4" slash in the side wall. Then the right rear had a 2" slash in the sidewall. Luckily the left rear took air, I don't know how it went flat and wash still on the bead.

So last week I got some 28" roctane's and STI HD6 rims.

Then this last weekend I went to Mudfest at Gregory Lake in Drakesboro, KY. The second day there I had 3 passengers and a cooler. About an hour into riding I noticed it acting funny going into third gear. I knew immediately what was happening.

I run this thing in low pretty much all the time unless I'm driving down the road. I never shift from 2x4 to 4x4 while moving. Im right about 130 miles. I'm gonna take it into the stealership tomorrow and see if they agree that its the same thing.

Here's the pictures of the oil and filters after my change. I really think the oil looked very good. The Transmission oil looked almost new.

I forgot to mention this all happened after someone stuck a Can-Am sticker on the right side. Which is the side that both tires blew on.
View attachment 14522 View attachment 14523 View attachment 14524 View attachment 14525 View attachment 14526

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sorry to hear that you're having issues. I'm sure its not much comfort, but from what I've heard, some folks are postulating that the molybdenum in the synthetics is not well received by the clutch friction plates. from what I've seen, Honda has warrantied the failures even with synthetic oil in the engine. Hopefully they take care of you.

Reactions: amc019
I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
sorry to hear that you're having issues. I'm sure its not much comfort, but from what I've heard, some folks are postulating that the molybdenum in the synthetics is not well received by the clutch friction plates. from what I've seen, Honda has warrantied the failures even with synthetic oil in the engine. Hopefully they take care of you.

After I changed the fluids to a synthetic the transmission felt like the was working much smoother than before.

I would think if it was something to do with the synthetic oil then it should slip going into every gear and not just 3rd like mine is doing.

I believe it's something more to do with a mishap on the assembly line like the few others have had. I believe they also had trouble with it starting with 3rd gear and then it moving to reverse and 1st.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pete what oil do you run? I'm going to be doing a break in oil change in a couple weeks and may stay away from the synthetic? My 700 was way smoother with it, I'm up in the air on it.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pete what oil do you run? I'm going to be doing a break in oil change in a couple weeks and may stay away from the synthetic? My 700 was way smoother with it, I'm up in the air on it.
Honda did my break in oil change, so it's whatever they recommend. I typically don't trust other people, even "certified" mechanics to work on my stuff, but I just don't have a lot of time to fool with it these days. So far my local shop seems fairly competent, so I'll give them the chance to keep my business (until they screw it up).

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
regarding the synthetic, I'm not certain on the specifics, but I believe Jackal had over 200 miles on his, changed to synthetic, and burnt clutches on the next (or subsequent) ride. It may just be coincidence, but I'd be inclined to stick with the factory recommendations on fluids.

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm a believer in Rotella synthetic but I will not take the chance on the 1000. Too many are saying no including my dealer that says it could void warranty. Wish Honda had two separate reservoirs, crap even my Honda crf does. I won't be running Honda but definitely won't run synthetic until I see different.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
regarding the synthetic, I'm not certain on the specifics, but I believe Jackal had over 200 miles on his, changed to synthetic, and burnt clutches on the next (or subsequent) ride. It may just be coincidence, but I'd be inclined to stick with the factory recommendations on fluids.
That's kinda what I've gathered. Seems most people when they use synthetic is when the s*** hit the fan. So I'm planning on just use the good old dead dinosaur stuff to do anything I can to avoid it.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I'm using Bel-Ray 4t trail oil 10-40, and it works great.

advertisement
D

Dasmoeturhead

When useing 10 w40 did you notice the gear whine quiet down useing thicker oil? I have the gn4 10/30 and have very audible gear noise under load. When I am coasting off the throttle it goes away. And the pitch changes the faster I go. Any advice?
I never had the gear whine, so I don't know if it's the cure for that. I did notice the mechanical noise of the valve train in the engine quiet down a lot. It also seems like the engine idles smoother. The big difference to me was when shifting into reverse 1st thing after warming up, and backing up out of my garage. That shift is so much quieter now. The Honda Tech told me I would love this oil, and so far he's right.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Did you try the heavier diff fluid as well? A few people here talked me into it and it made a big difference for us

I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
Did you try the heavier diff fluid as well?

No I didn't get a chance to change the diff fluid. I will do that once I get it back.

I still do not think it has anything to do with the synthetic oil. It doesn't make since for it to slip only in 3rd gear and not the others if its a chemical affecting the friction of the clutches.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree with you I can't see where something more slippy hurt but it does scare me. Maybe it's just coincidence but I'd hate to be without my rig while Honda figures it out. I'm pretty sure it's something at the factory causing it but no one is positive yet I'll wait anyway I never switch to synthetic in the beginning I like to break them in with dinosaur dna. I will wait another 6 months by then I'll be around 2500 where I was planning on switching myself and hopefully we'll have a better grasp of what's happening. I'd definitely like to see the number of people who have switched with no problems/people who have had problems. My 700 was synthetic as are all of my rigs Normally I'll switch around a 1500-2000 and that's coming soon.

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm a believer in Rotella synthetic but I will not take the chance on the 1000. Too many are saying no including my dealer that says it could void warranty. Wish Honda had two separate reservoirs, crap even my Honda crf does. I won't be running Honda but definitely won't run synthetic until I see different.
That's kinda what I've gathered. Seems most people when they use synthetic is when the s*** hit the fan. So I'm planning on just use the good old dead dinosaur stuff to do anything I can to avoid it.

At the 20 hour oil change, I put Honda synthetic in mine. That was less than 100 miles. I pull trailers, skid logs, haul all kinds of crap around home and it's never hiccuped. When I go for recreational rides, I put on those heavy 30"
Roctanes and give her hell and it still keeps going strong. Over 500 miles so far.

I would trust Hondas synthetic oil.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Did you notice any difference

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Did you notice any difference

I did not notice any differences in drivability or noise. I must not be in tune with my vehicle as other people, I've never tried a synthetic oil and noticed anything better or worse. I hear people all the time talking about how much smoother or how much quieter it is, I just don't get it.

On a sidenote, if your transmission is smoother, it must be slipping. I like to tune pick-up trucks transmission so that it has crisp firm shifts. I know that it makes the occupants of the vehicle may be able to feel the shifts but I know that it's not slipping.

The only time I've noticed oil make a difference is when I used a lot of Lucas oil additive in the differentials of my pioneer 700. Even today I run O'riellys brand gear oil in my pioneer 1000. It has about 50% Lucas in it. I even added 30% lucas to the subtrans. Adding that to both differentials and the sub transmission did reduce the gear whine. O'Reillys storebrand gear oil can be bought by the gallon cheaper then a quart of the royal purple or Mobil one. Since I have the tendency to get water in them, I would rather use the cheap stuff versus spending $50 to do oil change. Standard gear oil is in the majority of car differentials going 70 miles an hour up and down the highway, if it can withstand that then it can withstand the low-speed use of a SXS. Just my opinion here so I don't want to make it the gospel. I've saved a lot of money doing it this way and never had a lubrication failure.

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I did not notice any differences in drivability or noise. I must not be in tune with my vehicle as other people, I've never tried a synthetic oil and noticed anything better or worse. I hear people all the time talking about how much smoother or how much quieter it is, I just don't get it.

On a sidenote, if your transmission is smoother, it must be slipping. I like to tune pick-up trucks transmission so that it has crisp firm shifts. I know that it makes the occupants of the vehicle may be able to feel the shifts but I know that it's not slipping.

The only time I've noticed oil make a difference is when I used a lot of Lucas oil additive in the differentials of my pioneer 700. Even today I run O'riellys brand gear oil in my pioneer 1000. It has about 50% Lucas in it. I even added 30% lucas to the subtrans. Adding that to both differentials and the sub transmission did reduce the gear whine. O'Reillys storebrand gear oil can be bought by the gallon cheaper then a quart of the royal purple or Mobil one. Since I have the tendency to get water in them, I would rather use the cheap stuff versus spending $50 to do oil change. Standard gear oil is in the majority of car differentials going 70 miles an hour up and down the highway, if it can withstand that then it can withstand the low-speed use of a SXS. Just my opinion here so I don't want to make it the gospel. I've saved a lot of money doing it this way and never had a lubrication failure.

Joey,

I have heard people going on about how much quieter and smoother the synthetic oil makes their rig too and wondered for years what they're talking about. I have never noticed a difference in noise or the engine running smoother, but I still run synthetic because I believe over the long haul it will be better for the engine because of less breakdown which will provide better lubrication/function.

Nice to hear someone echo my thoughts bout the subject to know I'm not crazy.

Reactions: adnoh and joeymt33
I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
At the 20 hour oil change, I put Honda synthetic in mine. That was less than 100 miles. I pull trailers, skid logs, haul all kinds of crap around home and it's never hiccuped. When I go for recreational rides, I put on those heavy 30"
Roctanes and give her hell and it still keeps going strong. Over 500 miles so far.

I would trust Hondas synthetic oil.

It's great to hear that some are using synthetic oil and not having any troubles!!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!