Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's great to hear that some are using synthetic oil and not having any troubles!!

I hope is doesn't give any trouble since it is a Honda product. I'll be the first holler(or cry) if my vehicle starts acting up.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's great to hear that some are using synthetic oil and not having any troubles!!
Like I said I don't think it's that but it does make me nervous to throw something not recommended at something that's already having problems and pray. Even if it's not it Honda may not warrantee it with(I know they have so far but...) and they could possibly want receipts for fluids. So... If I do have unrelated problem not due to oil with it I'm scared

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda HP4S full synthetic since 100 miles, just over 600 now and not a problem. Difference noticed was starts quicker.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I hope is doesn't give any trouble since it is a Honda product. I'll be the first holler(or cry) if my vehicle starts acting up.

But I'll continue to ride it like I stole it until then!

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the 20 hour oil change, I put Honda synthetic in mine. That was less than 100 miles. I pull trailers, skid logs, haul all kinds of crap around home and it's never hiccuped. When I go for recreational rides, I put on those heavy 30"
Roctanes and give her hell and it still keeps going strong. Over 500 miles so far.

I would trust Hondas synthetic oil.
Jackal probably has some Honda synthetic he'd let go for cheap... ;)

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll be back to syn here before too long I just need this to all settle down before I do. Like Joey I'm not being easy on mine either I always run things off the bat exactly the way I'm going to run them later. The only "break in" I do is a couple extra oil changes at the beginning to get rid of the extra metal till things wear in. I am absolutely a dependability freak that's why I own Honda Yamaha (snowmobiles) Cummins Toyota Cummins Allison school bus converted iPhone ect. I overbuild everything and never stop thinking. I want it to work and keep working and be worth something in the end. This scares me a little but I'm at 1000 on mine seems fine and I haven't been easy on it nor will I. Just scared me because my dealer warranty rep specifically said and good grade oil but not synthetic. I've got 5 1/2 years of warranty left I don't want to void it just yet. Ride hard play smart. We'll see. I'm sure it's ok and I'm positive I'm just overthinking it.

Last edited:
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I'll be back to syn here before too long I just need this to all settle down before I do. Like Joey I'm not being easy on mine either I always run things off the bat exactly the way I'm going to run them later. The only "break in" I do is a couple extra oil changes at the beginning to get rid of the extra metal till things wear in. I am absolutely a dependability freak that's why I own Honda Yamaha (snowmobiles) Cummins Toyota Cummins Allison school bus converted iPhone ect. I want it to work and keep working and be worth something in the end. This scares me a little but I'm at 1000 on mine seems fine and I haven't been easy on it nor will I. Just scared me because my dealer warranty rep specifically said and good grade oil but not synthetic. I've got 5 1/2 years of warranty left I don't want to void it just yet. Ride hard play smart. We'll see. I'm sure it's ok and I'm just overthinking it.
The first thing I did in the dealer parking lot was floor it to 40. If I do not get a rush, I'm not spending my hard earned money on it. My dealer told me drive it like you would and I have been doing that since purchase with no problems what so ever. Now tomorrow it might break, but today it's ready for abuse!!! In a good way

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'll be changing mine this weekend to synthetic. If it does break, I dare Honda to deny the warranty because we will be in court real fast. As long as you are using the recommended API certification, they can't deny warranty based on the brand of oil.
I have used synthetics in everything I own from boats, 700hp rotaries, 1000hp 4cylinders, transmissions, diesels, and differentials with zero failures caused by lubrication. When I build them, they are filled with synthetic from the very beginning. Every high end car today comes factory filled with synthetic. This old fairy tale about synthetics and break in periods needs to die. Rant over lol

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'll be changing mine this weekend to synthetic. If it does break, I dare Honda to deny the warranty because we will be in court real fast. As long as you are using the recommended API certification, they can't deny warranty based on the brand of oil.
I have used synthetics in everything I own from boats, 700hp rotaries, 1000hp 4cylinders, transmissions, diesels, and differentials with zero failures caused by lubrication. When I build them, they are filled with synthetic from the very beginning. Every high end car today comes factory filled with synthetic. This old fairy tale about synthetics and break in periods needs to die. Rant over lol

Synthetics are good as long as they are tier 4. I do like synthetic oil and use it where it makes sense. It's in my pioneer 1000 engine and subtrans.

I'm still a believer that a break in oil should be used first and then switch.

As a synthetic fan, you'll enjoy this:

Oil education

advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to the new to me dealer today to get my accessories and was talkingwith a tech who seemed to me as very sharp on these machines, asked him what I should run for oil and any thing else he could tell me about the 1000. He basically just praised this machine up and down, but told me to just run the standard 10-30 gn4. And I'll be golden. He's up to date on the clutch issue, hasn't delt with one yet but has serviced one that's over 10,000 miles and still runs and shifts like new. Said it runs better than new .

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
10k miles, already?

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Synthetics are good as long as they are tier 4. I do like synthetic oil and use it where it makes sense. It's in my pioneer 1000 engine and subtrans.

I'm still a believer that a break in oil should be used first and then switch.

As a synthetic fan, you'll enjoy this:

Oil education
That was a good read. I didn't have the chance to change mine this weekend as I only had 6 quarts in the shop. I did do a little reading after your post and found an article that had ppm ratings for moly on a variety of oils. Now it was a post on another forum so I have no actual data to back it up, but Honda oil had the highest ppm of moly of any on the list. I know you can also tell when tearing down an engine that has run a high moly oil because it will be caked in every place it can stay and the oil pan will be full of it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
10k already daaaaaaaammmnnn. Must be carrying a car hauler across country

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That was a good read. I didn't have the chance to change mine this weekend as I only had 6 quarts in the shop. I did do a little reading after your post and found an article that had ppm ratings for moly on a variety of oils. Now it was a post on another forum so I have no actual data to back it up, but Honda oil had the highest ppm of moly of any on the list. I know you can also tell when tearing down an engine that has run a high moly oil because it will be caked in every place it can stay and the oil pan will be full of it.
Here's a comparison based off a dyno test.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10k already daaaaaaaammmnnn. Must be carrying a car hauler across country
Some of the trails in Wisconsin are old railroad beds. They are real easy to add up the miles if you like that kind of riding.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dang though. I wish we could get him on this site I'd sure be interested to talk to him

Last edited:
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know guys, I worked at a Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, BMW and Kawasaki shop for about 10 years in the parts department, learned a lot over the years kinda doing my own surveys of customers and return customers over the years. Not to mention what I hear about whats going on in the shop. This is 100% my own opinion, I cant ever see myself running a synthetic in an engine that uses the same oil for the engine as the transmission. I don't want a synthetic with a wet clutch. I also have the opinion that if you change oil when you should, non-synthetic is just fine. People will say that based on the conditions these machines are used in that we should use a better oil if possible. Well I believe that the OEM's compensate for this when they say 600 mile for an Oil change instead of 3,000 ish on a automobile. PART of the draw to a synthetic is that its slippery right? Do you want slippery on your wet clutches? Honda GN4 10w30 for me and it will work just as good for my machine as XYZ brand synthetic.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've got Rekluse setup in my crf and they specifically said run Rotella T non synthetic. I run synthetic in the motor because it has separated motor/tranny. That's my oil of choice and haven't seen any failures with lots of miles. I went to the big bore kit on my crf at about 11k(first time seeing inside of that motor ever) still had crosshatches in the cylinder wall.after the first year I only did a oil changes once a year. That's about 1000 miles between in a dirtbike. Air filers a bunch but not oil. I like synthetic and run it when I can I do think it's better but it suck the Pioneer has a shared unit. I will not run it until I see better results. Then...hell yes.

Reactions: 0860silverado
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!