P500 Narrowing Down The Choices

D

dranrab

Feb 1, 2017
Metairie LA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am going to buy an ATV or a UTV and am trying to decide what to buy. I am joining a South LA hunting club that has about 12,000 acres. It's flat and can be a little muddy. The vehicle will be used for transportation within the lease and for working food plots. There's an ATV playground or two nearby. I may piddle with them in drier conditions, but I won't purposefully do dedicated mudding. I have owned several ATVs in the past and oddly the one I have the fondest memories of was a little 2WD Suzuki 160. My wife and I would load that little sucker up with an ice chest, guns and rods and reels and go 20 miles over a Kodiak mountain pass and back. The narrow track and short wheelbase made it hard to get stuck or high centered. When it did get stuck, I just got off and threw it out of the hole.

If it were just me, I'd go with an ATV. Probably just another small one. I have a Nissan Frontier and a small ATV would fit in the back of it. Otherwise I'll have to buy a trailer. But I intend to take my 55 pound lab with me. And I suspect my wife will come along every now and then too. We make a trek to Crested Butte CO just about every summer. It'd be really nice to have a bigger cozier machine out there. We may even do some overnight camping and being old farts (In our lower 50's) will take cots, so gear capacity is a concern. I don't want to spend a load of money, but don't mind spending up to 9 or 10 grand at the most. The used market here is very spotty, so new is my likely path.

Here's what I am considering right now.

A 2017 Polaris 450HO for $4499 from a local dealer. A 2017 Honda Pioneer 500 for $7999 from a local dealer. A 2017 Yamaha Wolverine for $8699 from a dealer 350 miles away. All prices are just add taxes. There are no additional fees. I am leaning toward the two UTVs at this point primarily for cargo space. An ATV with front and rear racks and perhaps a hitch mounted rack can be a pretty good beast of burden though. It'd be tight when I am maxed out but rarely will I run maxed out. I have laid eyes on all of the machines but have test run none. If I buy the Pioneer I will end up adding (fabricating) a roof and a bed of some sort. If I buy the Wolverine, I'll only need to add a roof. The ATV will need a basket rack for the dog. My main concern with the Pioneer is that it is narrow and tall. I have read of quite a few roll overs. I am conservative, but with the weight of my cargo, I am a bit concerned about the stability. At the same time, the compact dimensions are appealing to me. There are some 50" wide trails in some of the areas I will go. A secondary concern with the P5 is that it is lacking in built in storage.

So I laid all that out there to ask for your impressions/opinions.

Thanks,
Paul

Reactions: 500oneer
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Of the three I would say the wolverine would be nicest due to the comfort of the machine and having a bed already. The Honda would be nice due to dependability and probably geared best for what you plan to do as far as work without a belt...they are a little goat. I don't feel you would go wrong with either of them

J

JTW

Of the three I would say the wolverine would be nicest due to the comfort of the machine and having a bed already. The Honda would be nice due to dependability and probably geared best for what you plan to do as far as work without a belt...they are a little goat. I don't feel you would go wrong with either of them
Yes.. but spend the small amount of money for the rspec wolverine... and power steering sure is nice, but pricey. If I were buying a new 4 wheeler it would be a grizzly. It all depends how much you're looking to spend over all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Plumber32
C

Chooglin

I would have to agree with everything @SBuckJ said.

The comfort and suspension on the Wolverine is amazing. I feel that both the wolverine and pioneer are very dependable.

The thing that sets the two apart is obviously the size , getting thru tight trails , the pioneer takes the prize. The Pioneer is also full of torque but lacks a front diff. Lock like the Wolverine............you have a tough decision to make , good luck !

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would have to agree with everything @SBuckJ said.

The comfort and suspension on the Wolverine is amazing. I feel that both the wolverine and pioneer are very dependable.

The thing that sets the two apart is obviously the size , getting thru tight trails , the pioneer takes the prize. The Pioneer is also full of torque but lacks a front diff. Lock like the Wolverine............you have a tough decision to make , good luck !
Agreed.

D

dranrab

Feb 1, 2017
Metairie LA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I really do favor the Wolverine. The 700 mile round trip is an additional expense. I asked a local dealer to match and was turned down. I just messaged a dealer 2 hours away to see if they will price match the $8699. We'll see. I meant to say this earlier. I am a bit of a forum junkie for all of my pass times. This is a good one. I have visited a number of OHV vehicle specific forums and a few general forums. This one has quality content.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really do favor the Wolverine. The 700 mile round trip is an additional expense. I asked a local dealer to match and was turned down. I just messaged a dealer 2 hours away to see if they will price match the $8699. We'll see. I meant to say this earlier. I am a bit of a forum junkie for all of my pass times. This is a good one. I have visited a number of OHV vehicle specific forums and a few general forums. This one has quality content.
Wolverine. That seems like a great price for an awesome machine.

J

JTW

Is it the rspec version?? The suspension will not be the better fox shocks if not.

D

dranrab

Feb 1, 2017
Metairie LA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No, the ones I am looking at are base models. I haven't researched the differences between the R-Spec and the base, but the price difference is about $1500 IIRC.

J

JTW

No, the ones I am looking at are base models. I haven't researched the differences between the R-Spec and the base, but the price difference is about $1500 IIRC.
When I was looking there was only a couple hundred dollars difference for the dealers between rspec and base.. it was a no brainer for them to order rspec's as they came with 2k worth of fox shocks all around with several other upgrades. Most people that talk about the ride are probably comparing the rspec version with the upgraded shocks... I only bring this up so you can make sure you're getting an apples to apples comparison.

advertisement
N

NorthPioneer

Jan 26, 2017
CA
I did a fair amount of research on the wolverine as well before I bought my P7-4 and it is a solid machine, comfortable, great looking machine and the 700 single is rock solid. the r-spec is great value also considering all the extras including full aluminum skids. for me at the end of the day I wanted the flexible seating of the P-4 and Honda reliability is a sure bet for getting in and out of the woods everytime. good luck, hope you join us and get the pioneer but both great machines from what I know.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
C

Chooglin

I should have also mentioned, the Wolverine I drove , was an R-Spec (my brothers). But the ride was crazy smooth.

After driving his , that's when I decided to do the p500 suspension mod. Although the ride is much improved , it comes nowhere close to the Wolverine R-Spec !

JMO ,if I was buying the Wolverine, I would pay the extra for the R-Spec
Screenshot 2016 10 02 08 49 22

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I should have also mentioned, the Wolverine I drove , was an R-Spec (my brothers). But the ride was crazy smooth.

After driving his , that's when I decided to do the p500 suspension mod. Although the ride is much improved , it comes nowhere close to the Wolverine R-Spec !

JMO ,if I was buying the Wolverine, I would pay the extra for the R-Spec
View attachment 32129
Agreed!!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
If you have to go on 50" trails you have no choice . Wolverines are tuff as nails albeit they aren't Honda . I spent well over your price range for my 16 Grizzly and it is the most awesome quad I have ever road BUT it isn't a side by side . Yes it has windshield , heated seat , grips and thumb throttle . Also has power steering and diff loc . Hard to compare any quad to a utv . Best advice I have is "Happy wife , happy life " so get a utv .

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow, it's hard to go against all the wolverine advice, lol. It just shows the honesty of the people here on this forum. I'm in a similar situation, and looking for a machine for similar purposes, and I'm also in your neck of the woods, as far as terrain goes. I'm brand loyal to Honda, so I've decided on the P500. I was just going to add, as far as the lack of storage, you can add a few options to cover that, but at the cost of a few add-ons. I'm planning to put a bed of some sort, maybe a front basket, there is under the hood storage options available, and I've seen a member here posted "Quality" custom gloves boxes for sale.

I like the narrow stance, using it in flat ground, and I'm past my years, of being a dare devil, lol, so I'm happy with buying the 50" machine. To make it more stable, you could add wider tires, with a different offset, for some help perhaps.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts, I'm sure the wolverine is a great machine too, if you go that route. I'd definitely go the SxS route though, to accommodate your wife, Lab, and cargo.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
@dranrab you mentioned a Kodiak mountain pass, so I assume you're talking about Saltery Cove or out towards Miam. Both machines will do great for ya, but cargo space diminishes very very quickly. Have you thought about getting a small off-road trailer? That would solve cargo concerns, for when you need it, then all you gotta do is decide how badly you want to be able to run 50" trails.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@dranrab you mentioned a Kodiak mountain pass, so I assume you're talking about Saltery Cove or out towards Miam. Both machines will do great for ya, but cargo space diminishes very very quickly. Have you thought about getting a small off-road trailer? That would solve cargo concerns, for when you need it, then all you gotta do is decide how badly you want to be able to run 50" trails.

My thoughts exactly. There are ways around the storage issue. The under hood storage and under seat storage are useful but minimal. I think the bigger issue here is passenger capacity. Two adults and a Lab in the cab of a P5 is unrealistic other than for a short run. Putting a basket on the back for the pup would be about the only option. FWIW, this is how I dealt with packing enough gear for an overnighter. Side Latest P.S. Welcome to the forum @dranrab .

D

dranrab

Feb 1, 2017
Metairie LA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow, it's hard to go against all the wolverine advice, lol. It just shows the honesty of the people here on this forum. I'm in a similar situation, and looking for a machine for similar purposes, and I'm also in your neck of the woods, as far as terrain goes. I'm brand loyal to Honda, so I've decided on the P500. I was just going to add, as far as the lack of storage, you can add a few options to cover that, but at the cost of a few add-ons. I'm planning to put a bed of some sort, maybe a front basket, there is under the hood storage options available, and I've seen a member here posted "Quality" custom gloves boxes for sale.

I like the narrow stance, using it in flat ground, and I'm past my years, of being a dare devil, lol, so I'm happy with buying the 50" machine. To make it more stable, you could add wider tires, with a different offset, for some help perhaps.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts, I'm sure the wolverine is a great machine too, if you go that route. I'd definitely go the SxS route though, to accommodate your wife, Lab, and cargo.

If you ever want to go ride at the spillway, let me know. Or if you know of a less muddy place to ride, we'll give that a shot. What kind of front basket options are there?

D

dranrab

Feb 1, 2017
Metairie LA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

It's a small world. You nailed it. I did a 3 year hitch with the Coast Guard up there and spent as much time at Saltery as I could. There were times in early October I'd load that little 160 up with a rifle, a shotgun and a rod and reel and go after deer, ducks and the few remaining bright silvers. I loved that place and miss it dearly at times...not really this time of year. I have thought about a small trailer although I haven't looked at the options.

Reactions: Jediwrathchild
D

dranrab

Feb 1, 2017
Metairie LA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My thoughts exactly. There are ways around the storage issue. The under hood storage and under seat storage are useful but minimal. I think the bigger issue here is passenger capacity. Two adults and a Lab in the cab of a P5 is unrealistic other than for a short run. Putting a basket on the back for the pup would be about the only option. FWIW, this is how I dealt with packing enough gear for an overnighter. View attachment 32151 P.S. Welcome to the forum @dranrab .

I will end up adding some kind of a bed to the back and that's where the lab will go when the wife isn't with me. As a quick aside, I was at a Polaris dealer looking at a Ranger. The saleswoman there had just introduced herself and asked me what I was looking for. I pointed to the Ranger and said something like that, there's plenty of room for my dog and my wife, but I don't see a seat belt in the bed for my wife, do you offer those? I did it dead serious. You should have seen the look on her face.

Have any of you installed a roof rack? I am already concerned about the machine being top heavy, so I would only put lightweight stuff like sleeping rolls and sleeping bags up there. Heck, I could probably lash it directly to the roof.

How many of you have rolled yours?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!