Need help picking the right phone mount

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I use my Galaxy S10 and Avenza to navigate when I'm out in the backcountry. Our Talon R has a full windshield on it and I'd really rather not drill holes in my dash if there's another way. Here's what I'm considering, (only with a 6 inch arm mounted to the grab bar
Screenshot 20201129 110442 Chrome
or this one mounted to the roll bar. I'm just wondering if the clamp will interfere with the windshield? Also, I'm open to other ideas. Screenshot 20201129 110317 Chrome

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been reading the KRX 1000 thread on here and decided to do some research. I really like my Talon R, but I'm disappointed with how harsh it rides at low speeds. My daughter has the 1000X4 live valve and I took it out a couple of days ago. The ride is night and day different... in its way smoother kind of way. I also have a 2016 Can Am Commander 800xt and I may be looking to upgrade it as a second ride. I've been considering the Talon X live valve, but I wanted to sneak a peak at the Kawasaki.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Which one do you have and where did you put the mount? Pics are always great.
I have this one I bought it on Amazon some time ago and do not have a link I just looked at the size when I bought it. It accommodates many normal size phones and I mounted it on my switch plate from PBR enterprises. They
20201129 144355
have many accessories for Honda pioneers

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've been reading the KRX 1000 thread on here and decided to do some research. I really like my Talon R, but I'm disappointed with how harsh it rides at low speeds. My daughter has the 1000X4 live valve and I took it out a couple of days ago. The ride is night and day different... in its way smoother kind of way. I also have a 2016 Can Am Commander 800xt and I may be looking to upgrade it as a second ride. I've been considering the Talon X live valve, but I wanted to sneak a peak at the Kawasaki.

Well I don't blame you. I went with the krx over the talon. I dont know what part of the state you're in but there are several Arkansas guys on this forum that made the switch. I'm sure they'd let you have a ride in the krx to see if you like it.

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm in Northwest Arkansas, Beaver Lake area. Most of our riding is trail riding in the Ozark National Forest, but we try to visit Colorado every year as well. It looks like this is the worst possible time to shop for a sxs. I really like the Talon, especially my daughter's live valve version, but I keep hearing great things about the KRX 1000. Honestly, both machines (Talon R and KRX) are a little big for the trails around here. I would like to hear from some of the Talon X 2 seater live valve owners just to see if the ride is as good as my daughter's X4 live valve.

Have you ridden in a live valve Talon, and if so, how would you compare the KRX ride to them?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm in Northwest Arkansas, Beaver Lake area. Most of our riding is trail riding in the Ozark National Forest, but we try to visit Colorado every year as well. It looks like this is the worst possible time to shop for a sxs. I really like the Talon, especially my daughter's live valve version, but I keep hearing great things about the KRX 1000. Honestly, both machines (Talon R and KRX) are a little big for the trails around here. I would like to hear from some of the Talon X 2 seater live valve owners just to see if the ride is as good as my daughter's X4 live valve.

Have you ridden in a live valve Talon, and if so, how would you compare the KRX ride to them?

I have not ridden the live valve.

@Ragnar406 lives in NW Arkansas. Hes not far from you. Send him a PM. Maybe you could connect with him to check out the KRX.

Reactions: rtn001
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

PM me, we need to hook up. Hindsville, AR

advertisement
ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anybody that knows where the Valley Inn Cafe and Anderson's are located has to be okay.

J

JTW

I have not ridden the live valve.

@Ragnar406 lives in NW Arkansas. Hes not far from you. Send him a PM. Maybe you could connect with him to check out the KRX.
THIS!!! If you’re wanting a good ride... Do yourself a favor and spend some time in the KRX.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I've got a Talon X with G-Force suspension works done and 32-in tires. Just spent the last 4 days in Tennessee and my Talon, according to my wife with back problems, was smooth and plush as could be. Then there were obstacles that the media hyped KRX and some on 35's or a couple fully built Can-Ams couldn't make it up that my Talon did get up! I too have spent a decent amount of time researching the KRX's. My father spent a weekend in my Honda Talon and is debating on getting a sport side-by-side. At first I tried to have him look at the KRX because of all of the hype people have been saying. Once I looked into it and saw that they also are having issues and they are issues I don't want to mess with. Some of the issues being suspension sag after 200 mi. If you read people are doing their suspension and spending money on it just like we are on the Honda Talon. There are also primary clutch issues, etc. Actually after trying to find him one I ended up telling myself that there is no way at this point I could get him a KRX over a Talon. I know who will be messing with the issues and that is me and I have had zero with my Talon. The KRX has some great things about it. But when I have watched it in videos the overall weight of it does hurt it and it doesn't have the power to make it a fun sporty machine. The wet clutch design will be great if you never want more power out of it. If you are leaving the machine stock and never messing with it then you won't reach the deficiency of the wet clutch design which throughout history has had trouble holding any type of real power. Not sure why this forum is flooded with people constantly chirping about the KRX. The Kawasaki fanboys are almost becoming worse than the Polaris fan boys with being on every other forum trying to get people to switch to their brand. If it's that great of a machine it will win all the races and everybody will end up buying it. So far that hasn't happened. It is just a good heavy-built machine that makes you question whether it is actually a sport side by side. Because something that big and heavy is not going to be sporty.

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wanted a Honda because of their history of quality. I also wanted to move away from belts. But the first time I took it down the Devil's Punchbowl without adjusting the 15 psi tire pressure it came with, I was shocked at how harsh the ride was. I've dropped the tire pressure down to 10 psi for now and that has helped some. I've also thought about having the shocks worked on, but that seems hit and miss and the outcome may depend on who you have doing the work. I'm open to suggestions. If anybody knows a good place in NW Arkansas, give me a shout.

Surely, somebody here has a 2 seat Honda Talon R or X with the live valve shocks? If so, how's the ride? The Talon X4 live valve rides great on the trails.

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
3a277213de8eac1dac7fcd1897b5d630

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 for my mapping. I relocated the gauge cluster using the @PualF mounting solution. I then modified a spring tilting license plate holder and a RAM mount to hold the tablet. I only have 2 small holes in an inconspicuous area of the black piece of the dash where the gauge cluster was originally.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got a Talon X with G-Force suspension works done and 32-in tires. Just spent the last 4 days in Tennessee and my Talon, according to my wife with back problems, was smooth and plush as could be. Then there were obstacles that the media hyped KRX and some on 35's or a couple fully built Can-Ams couldn't make it up that my Talon did get up! I too have spent a decent amount of time researching the KRX's. My father spent a weekend in my Honda Talon and is debating on getting a sport side-by-side. At first I tried to have him look at the KRX because of all of the hype people have been saying. Once I looked into it and saw that they also are having issues and they are issues I don't want to mess with. Some of the issues being suspension sag after 200 mi. If you read people are doing their suspension and spending money on it just like we are on the Honda Talon. There are also primary clutch issues, etc. Actually after trying to find him one I ended up telling myself that there is no way at this point I could get him a KRX over a Talon. I know who will be messing with the issues and that is me and I have had zero with my Talon. The KRX has some great things about it. But when I have watched it in videos the overall weight of it does hurt it and it doesn't have the power to make it a fun sporty machine. The wet clutch design will be great if you never want more power out of it. If you are leaving the machine stock and never messing with it then you won't reach the deficiency of the wet clutch design which throughout history has had trouble holding any type of real power. Not sure why this forum is flooded with people constantly chirping about the KRX. The Kawasaki fanboys are almost becoming worse than the Polaris fan boys with being on every other forum trying to get people to switch to their brand. If it's that great of a machine it will win all the races and everybody will end up buying it. So far that hasn't happened. It is just a good heavy-built machine that makes you question whether it is actually a sport side by side. Because something that big and heavy is not going to be sporty.

Seems like you really got offended there buddy. What did the G force suspension cost you?

I'm just trying to help the guy explore his options. Which I have done for anyone looking at pioneers as well. In fact I have another friend in NW Arkansas with a nice maverick and another with a nice razor if he wants to look at either of those, but that wasn't brought up. I dont care what people buy, just trying to help out where I can.

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I wanted a Honda because of their history of quality. I also wanted to move away from belts. But the first time I took it down the Devil's Punchbowl without adjusting the 15 psi tire pressure it came with, I was shocked at how harsh the ride was. I've dropped the tire pressure down to 10 psi for now and that has helped some. I've also thought about having the shocks worked on, but that seems hit and miss and the outcome may depend on who you have doing the work. I'm open to suggestions. If anybody knows a good place in NW Arkansas, give me a shout.

Surely, somebody here has a 2 seat Honda Talon R or X with the live valve shocks? If so, how's the ride? The Talon X4 live valve rides great on the trails.

I have the Talon X but not a live valve. I swapped out the tender springs with Bandit tender springs. I went to a 32” Tusk Terrabite tire on factory rims at 11 psi. I used a spring behind the gas pedal with a homemade throttlemax pedal. All of those combined seems to help my ride quality.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Seems like you really got offended there buddy. What did the G force suspension cost you?

I'm just trying to help the guy explore his options. Which I have done for anyone looking at pioneers as well. In fact I have another friend in NW Arkansas with a nice maverick and another with a nice razor if he wants to look at either of those, but that wasn't brought up. I dont care what people buy, just trying to help out where I can.

Offended?? No not all....tired of the, not exactly true, BS on the KRX from some members here does get annoying. The KRX fan boys are all almost on every thread on this Talon forum tying to point to the KRX. So much that I actually went out and looked into a KRX only find out that they have a lot problems and unhappy people also. The KRX owners have tuning to do, suspension to do still also, primary clutch grooves, some on the KRX forum have had there KRX in the shop more than on the trails. I can go on and on about the problems they are having too.....and I am sure you have an answer to each problem just I do for each Talon one. But the truth is you guys just get on a thread here that someone is stating a problem with there Talon or a question on the Talon and all you say is get a KRX and don't really let everyone know that they have there issues too! And this is coming from a guy who actually went to buy KRX for his retired Father! This is not me calling the KRX junk....but I would not take one over my Talon. Because I can make my suspension on my Talon to what I want it to be but I can't change the rest of the KRX machine to what my Talon is. That is where the difference is....

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Offended?? No not all....tired of the, not exactly true, BS on the KRX from some members here does get annoying. The KRX fan boys are all almost on every thread on this Talon forum tying to point to the KRX. So much that I actually went out and looked into a KRX only find out that they have a lot problems and unhappy people also. The KRX owners have tuning to do, suspension to do still also, primary clutch grooves, some on the KRX forum have had there KRX in the shop more than on the trails. I can go on and on about the problems they are having too.....and I am sure you have an answer to each problem just I do for each Talon one. But the truth is you guys just get on a thread here that someone is stating a problem with there Talon or a question on the Talon and all you say is get a KRX and don't really let everyone know that they have there issues too! And this is coming from a guy who actually went to buy KRX for his retired Father! This is not me calling the KRX junk....but I would not take one over my Talon. Because I can make my suspension on my Talon to what I want it to be but I can't change the rest of the KRX machine to what my Talon is. That is where the difference is....

Oh wow, really generalizing there eh? I'm a fanboy now cause I offered to help a guy with his search? Offered to help him get some real world driving opportunities. Maybe you should go back and re read my comments. I wasn't pushing anything, you're the one that came along and got so wound up.

They ALL have their flaws. Just have to pick which ones you want to address. Go start your own thread to beat your drum on.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!