BOX1

P500 Need help with the math part. Widening my stance for stability.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
itp aluminum are very heavy, stock steel is the lightest wheel by far. bighorns are one of the heaviest tires out there too they are just made for wear above traction or anything else. a lot better tire out there that have better traction and are lighter

HOWEVER - the Bigfoot 2.0 is MUCH lighter. Probably than most any other tire. Do your own homework. For a P500 since it has less Horse Power the lighter the better. IMHO ITP Steel rims with 2+5" offset and a 1.5" spacer on rear only is best for the P5 if you don't have to stay inside 50" for trail restrictions. This will put you at approximately 53.5-54" width and the 2.0 BH at 4.5-5 lbs ride like a dream. I have 1500 hard miles and no issues. OH!... and they kick ass in the snow. Ask CP. He's watched my P5 in seep powder and can tellyou the truth. No Offense, but jwfirebird - you should own a set before you give all this BS info to fellow members. JMHO.

WB

Last edited:
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've had the bighorn 2.o before they are hard to beat and would compliment the 500. And will probably go back to them next time around . Plus I also like after market wheels gotta have a little bling plus they have a lifetime warranty . Plus those Xtrs he talked about earlier are heavy, good tires though. Their a good portion of that 50 pounds he mentioned.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Better traction, in what? Maybe mud but that's about it. You can get better tires for specific riding conditions but Big Horns are the best ALL AROUND ATV tire made and the standard to which all others are measured, that's why there's so many knock offs that resemble their tread pattern. If weight is a concern then the 2.0's fit the bill.
I agree. Awesome tire all around especially snow and good in mud. 2.0 has been good for us in anything but the 1000. I love the copy’s but they closer resemble the Originals which don’t do quite as well in slick conditions. They are larger then stock so that gets them back up in traction in heavy stuff. If I were putting tires on a 500 I would run 2.0 or a copy hands down

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
HOWEVER - the Bigfoot 2.0 is MUCH lighter. Probably than most any other tire. Do your own homework. For a P500 since it has less Horse Power the lighter the better. IMHO ITP Steel rims with 2+5" offset and a 1.5" spacer on rear only is best for the P5 if you don't have to stay inside 60" for trail restrictions. This will put you at approximately 53.5-54" width and the 2.0 BH at 4.5-5 lbs ride like a dream. I have 1500 hard miles and no issues. OH!... and they kick ass in the snow. Ask CP. He's watched my P5 in seep powder and can tellyou the truth. No Offense, but jwfirebird - you should own a set before you give all this BS info to fellow members. JMHO.

WB
Ya they kicked ass. Yours and Wolverine got around just fine with 2.0 but not the other. I couldn’t believe how well you were doing without the locker, I’d like to see it now.

Reactions: Chooglin
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I agree. Awesome tire all around especially snow and good in mud. 2.0 has been good for us in anything but the 1000. I love the copy’s but they closer resemble the Originals which don’t do quite as well in slick conditions. They are larger then stock so that gets them back up in traction in heavy stuff. If I were putting tires on a 500 I would run 2.0 or a copy hands down

Been running the 2.0's for 3 yrs now on the 500 and have never had any tire issues. TN. mud, rock and deep water of Drummond Is., sand scramble areas, MI snow, road running pulling a trailer...done my best at trying to break them. :cool:

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
HOWEVER - the Bigfoot 2.0 is MUCH lighter. Probably than most any other tire. Do your own homework. For a P500 since it has less Horse Power the lighter the better. IMHO ITP Steel rims with 2+5" offset and a 1.5" spacer on rear only is best for the P5 if you don't have to stay inside 60" for trail restrictions. This will put you at approximately 53.5-54" width and the 2.0 BH at 4.5-5 lbs ride like a dream. I have 1500 hard miles and no issues. OH!... and they kick ass in the snow. Ask CP. He's watched my P5 in seep powder and can tellyou the truth. No Offense, but jwfirebird - you should own a set before you give all this BS info to fellow members. JMHO.

WB

people really need to realize how much your area and the machine will dictate how well they do, so many different kinds of snow and mud in the different areas, why i always say "around here" this is what i like, been doing this for decades and have learned a thing or two about what works and what doesnt. digger tires like any skinny narrow (mayhems, bighorns, zillas) have to really spin them to get them to work in most snow and mud, just plugs otherwise, and these tires have to have a bottom to work because you will be on it quick. the clay and snow here 90 percent of the year the bottom is more than the machine so you end up stuck on the bottom. also belong to a club that all we talk about is atv stuff all the time couple guys have tried the 2.0 and got rid of it. one trail we call swamp trail has dense cover(most do) never dries in the summer and this one guy we both had outlanders his is a short which is normally better in the mud, he had to back up and give it a ton of throttle and try again in a ton of places they load up with clay, mine dragging the bottom in 2wd went though the same area the first time. the mud lights(mine had XTRs) are floating tires wide and like sand paddles they pick you up out snow and bottomless clay. snow is very thick here like a slushy sometimes in the hedge rows and stuff and the digger tires will just sink till you are stuck on the bottom. mud lights and outbacks stuff thats like that float and have that tractor pattern are the best around here

Reactions: 100Acre
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've had the bighorn 2.o before they are hard to beat and would compliment the 500. And will probably go back to them next time around . Plus I also like after market wheels gotta have a little bling plus they have a lifetime warranty . Plus those Xtrs he talked about earlier are heavy, good tires though. Their a good portion of that 50 pounds he mentioned.

had these on a 50+hp machine they did well in deep snow
one of the biggest things to being good in the mud for tires like the bighorns is spinning them, which is why you cant of crazy on the weight for the 500, the oem steel and 26 is likely the best plan, 2.0 30 and 25 lbs probably around 40 total. one thing they do have is decent gears

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
had these on a 50+hp machine they did well in deep snow
one of the biggest things to being good in the mud for tires like the bighorns is spinning them, which is why you cant of crazy on the weight for the 500, the oem steel and 26 is likely the best plan, 2.0 30 and 25 lbs probably around 40 total. one thing they do have is decent gears
I went with the bighorn 2.0 s because of the lighter weight and because of their reputation in my area of riding and type of terrain. The lighter tire and a 9” all around should float as much as stock but be a littler easier to turn because of the width. Braking track only once instead of twice. I was worried about rocks as I want to go west to Colorado and Utah but a lot of people say they’ll be fine. I liked the tusk terabytes but they weigh more than the original bighorns by 5 or 6# each.That makes another 36 or 40 more pounds to carry and turn. That’s like losing 5 hp that we don’t have.

Reactions: 100Acre and trigger
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
You talked me into them Trigger. Ordered 26x9s 2.0 today. Was going to get 27 s but the specs said they were 4 ply.
I'm pretty sure if you recheck the listing you will find the 4 ply tire is only the fronts. Listing I saw had 6 ply rear 4 ply fronts I'm pretty sure.

WB

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I went with the bighorn 2.0 s because of the lighter weight and because of their reputation in my area of riding and type of terrain. The lighter tire and a 9” all around should float as much as stock but be a littler easier to turn because of the width. Braking track only once instead of twice. I was worried about rocks as I want to go west to Colorado and Utah but a lot of people say they’ll be fine. I liked the tusk terabytes but they weigh more than the original bighorns by 5 or 6# each.That makes another 36 or 40 more pounds to carry and turn. That’s like losing 5 hp that we don’t have.

probably be happy, alot of people are with the bighorn 2. the big dot radials like the terrabyte and 8 ply stuff really better on a 1000 machine where you dont have any problem with spinning them

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm thinking I'm going to order the 5+2 offset rims, wait on the spacers and since my current BH originals still have a lot of tread left that I'd just stick with them for now. Being that they're 25" and the offset rims may work to keeping me more stable. At the point I decide to get some 26" tires, I may go with either the BHO or the 2.0's in 26x10x12 all the way around. If the offset rims aren't enough, I'll order the 1" spacers from RB3Offroad.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I'm thinking I'm going to order the 5+2 offset rims, wait on the spacers and since my current BH originals still have a lot of tread left that I'd just stick with them for now. Being that they're 25" and the offset rims may work to keeping me more stable. At the point I decide to get some 26" tires, I may go with either the BHO or the 2.0's in 26x10x12 all the way around. If the offset rims aren't enough, I'll order the 1" spacers from RB3Offroad.
Don't think that's a bad ideal. Original BH's are by far the best tire I ever run (don't give a s*** how much they weigh), and they run large, so you really have 25.5's there.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't think that's a bad ideal. Original BH's are by far the best tire I ever run (don't give a s*** how much they weigh), and they run large, so you really have 25.5's there.
I just ordered ITP steel rims. THE WEIGHT WAS NEGLIGABLE COMPARED TO ALUMINUM , within a pound or two difference and aluminum was $20+ MORE EACH. The steel rims weigh in at like 13 lbs each

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just ordered ITP steel rims. THE WEIGHT WAS NEGLIGABLE COMPARED TO ALUMINUM , within a pound or two difference and aluminum was $20+ MORE EACH. The steel rims weigh in at like 13 lbs each
Don't know if it's been covered thus far, but if you run the same wheel front and rear the front ends up being wider by like an inch, which kinda bugs me, personally.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon x4

I agree. I absolutely loved the 26" OG Bighorns I had on my P5. They were great in everything except deep mud and they were pretty tough also. Only had 1 flat in about 1200 miles of riding Windrock. I dont care what they weigh. The way the P5 was geared, I never noticed or cared. I figured the extra weight meant a thicker/tougher tire.

C

Chooglin

This sounds like a good plan!

Reactions: 100Acre and trigger
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!