Need some info from Georgia members

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking to buy a 2017 Honda Foreman 500 from a fella in Michigan where I live. He said he picked it up from an older couple in Georgia a year or two ago (he actually has two he bought from the same couple). He said they don't come with titles down in Georgia. Having retired from the Michigan State Police, it seems somewhat odd that sort of title didn't come with it's sale. Maybe he was told falsely. Maybe not. What can my Georgia friends tell me about what you get with the purchase of a new Honda ATV not legal for registering for street use. Thanks!

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Mudder, @Backwoods both live in Georgia. Mississippi doesn't produce a title either unless requested by the owner.

Reactions: Buggyman and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just sale papers, no registration, but no road use allowed in my NW Ga County.
§ 40-3-4 – Georgia law does not allow vehicles which are not sold for the purpose of lawful highway use to be titled with the state.
Maybe similar to this for out of State purchases, or a Manufacturers Statement of Origin or similar will work.

Selling ORVs or ATVs
You will need the title to sell your ORV or ATV. Michigan began titling ORVs in 1991. For vehicles built before 1991 that never have been titled, a bill of sale (with the year, make, vehicle identification number and the names and addresses of the buyer and seller) may be used to transfer ownership.

Last edited:
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When it was purchased new it should have came with a certificate of origin. I bought my rincon from a guy in Georgia. It came with that and we just wrote out a bill of sale for each of us

OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I am looking to buy a 2017 Honda Foreman 500 from a fella in Michigan where I live. He said he picked it up from an older couple in Georgia a year or two ago (he actually has two he bought from the same couple). He said they don't come with titles down in Georgia. Having retired from the Michigan State Police, it seems somewhat odd that sort of title didn't come with it's sale. Maybe he was told falsely. Maybe not. What can my Georgia friends tell me about what you get with the purchase of a new Honda ATV not legal for registering for street use. Thanks!
I’ve bought traded sold several here in Ga. Hand written bill of sale is all that’s needed. I get a witness or Power of Attorney seal just in case.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Bought my Talon through a members friend in Alabama Who had fallen on hard times and had to sell it. There the same way. The machine wasnt even a year old yet, in fact 380 miles old. The dealer has the authority over that when there sold come to find out. That dealer told me they Do not request the title from Honda when they purchace the machine cuz its not required in there state just a certificate of Origin. I went through hell with them about this and still never got it. dealing with honda on this was like dealing with the Brandon administration on opening the keystone pipeline.

Needless to say, I still dont have it and the State of Michigan requires it. How they trace it and get me on something is beyond me? Ive asked my cousin who is a sheriff Sargent in Northern Mi and he said all he wants to see is that u its got up to date trail tags When Im on trail And Insurance in your name would be a bonus. He also said a Bill of sale signed by me and the seller should be fine as well He didnt think id be bothered unless I got into an accident and it went to court.But its a very gray area from State to State. So what are u suppose to do, bot buy out of state? Im not plating it for road use cuz it cost u a small fortune in Mi to do it. The whole thing is Kinda stupid If u ask me

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@Remington - If you can't live without a MI title, look into getting a bonded title. Basically, you purchase a bond from a surety bond company (likely around $100) and use that to apply for a bonded title. After 3 years, as long as nobody comes along as says it's their Talon, then you can get the normal title.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Remington - If you can't live without a MI title, look into getting a bonded title. Basically, you purchase a bond from a surety bond company (likely around $100) and use that to apply for a bonded title. After 3 years, as long as nobody comes along as says it's their Talon, then you can get the normal title.
Thank you for that info. I might do that At some point. But it dosnt really bother me to not have a title. I have a bill of sale and insurance on it so Im coverd for the most part. your Idea is good. Thanks

Reactions: Mudder and Buggyman
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We don’t get a title or certificate of origin in WI.

We used to if you asked, but now we can’t even if we ask. The DNR registration is how you sell it.

advertisement
Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the help from all of you. The white unit I'm looking at has about 500 miles on it. It looks pristine in the pics. It's about a 3-hour drive from where I live in Michigan to where the seller lives in Michigan. I know the Secretary of State here in Michigan will title things that don't have a title from other states with some hoops to jump through as @Remington said if I'm compelled to do so. If I had worked for the DNR instead of the MSP, I might have been more familiar with those things that were related to vehicles that were not legal to freely operate on the roads of Michigan.

PS - the seller informed me just before I was about to post this that it is actually out of Alabama instead of Georgia. He still had the sellers number. He called her and had her send the letter she got from the bank showing a lien release and matching VIN number. All I have to do is see if white is faster than red if I buy it tomorrow.
D822b442a4fbc23dc3d99e7555902896
029b1af337ff0542403787b0bcf9dcf2

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the help from all of you. The white unit I'm looking at has about 500 miles on it. It looks pristine in the pics. It's about a 3-hour drive from where I live in Michigan to where the seller lives in Michigan. I know the Secretary of State here in Michigan will title things that don't have a title from other states with some hoops to jump through as @Remington said if I'm compelled to do so. If I had worked for the DNR instead of the MSP, I might have been more familiar with those things that were related to vehicles that were not legal to freely operate on the roads of Michigan.

PS - the seller informed me just before I was about to post this that it is actually out of Alabama instead of Georgia. He still had the sellers number. He called her and had her send the letter she got from the bank showing a lien release and matching VIN number. All I have to do is see if white is faster than red if I buy it tomorrow.
View attachment 329101
View attachment 329102
That's a good looking quad! I always liked them in the white. Looks well taken care of.

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I got it to it's new home, MY home! It's a 2017 TRX500 Foreman with 520 miles and it purrs like a kitten. I have five Hondas under the roof now and not one of them is a car. I'll have to line them up some day and take a pic.

I swung by the Honda dealer in Gaylord, MI on the 180 mile trek back home and bought some oil, an oil filter, radiator coolant and some goggles to go with the new helmet I bought last week.

I added to this purchase today by upping my supporting membership to the forum to a lifetime membership as well. And I got gasoline for $3.58 in Cadillac, MI. A good day all around.

Thanks again for everybody's input. 85f0eaeac41808e1f00d993367d93560

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice! Thats my go to Dealership!
good people there. Just snow checked 2 New Skidoo’s in March there!

Congrats on the new quad.
I've seen you mention that before. When I'm in there I think, is that Remmy standing over there by the parts counter. Ha! The owner came out while I was there looking to buy some goggles to go with the helmet I bought the week before. He's a nice guy. He had me in his office a year ago when I was Pioneer shopping and put money down on one. Then he walked me over to their warehouse across the street to the south and showed me what they looked like but we're already spoken for. They really do go out of their way for their customers.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I got it to it's new home, MY home! It's a 2017 TRX500 Foreman with 520 miles and it purrs like a kitten. I have five Hondas under the roof now and not one of them is a car. I'll have to line them up some day and take a pic.

I swung by the Honda dealer in Gaylord, MI on the 180 mile trek back home and bought some oil, an oil filter, radiator coolant and some goggles to go with the new helmet I bought last week.

I added to this purchase today by upping my supporting membership to the forum to a lifetime membership as well. And I got gasoline for $3.58 in Cadillac, MI. A good day all around.

Thanks again for everybody's input. View attachment 329257
My neighbor has a white one with a bazillion miles on it. We all know that white is the fastest!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!