DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is not nonsense. It just not for the "hard core off roader" the hard core off roader doesn't care about tearing up the yard or slinging a little mud. I get that. This is a solution to the problems guys who use their utv for working around the farm or their properties and who drive it on streets. On an added note the way this rearend is designed and how strong it is, it wouldn't be all that hard to add an electronic locker to it. not that it would be needed in my opinion if you understand how a worm gear diff works. Dg rider this may not be for you thanks for looking and your feedback.
Any limited slip that actually limits slip WILL tear up the yard when you turn. Will still resist turning. Will still contribute to "tire wear". So adding a lock function to a LSD still doesn't get what you want, in that regard.
The only diff that won't do those things is an open diff (driven sanely, of course), and once you do that, you'll see just how much that locked rear end helped, even in "work" situations. You're completely under estimating the value of that spool in the back.
The ultimate solution? A diff that can operate completely open, or fully locked.

It's your time. You can waste it if you want.

BHarris8753

BHarris8753

Jan 18, 2020
Robbins, NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I may possibly have interest in the future, i like the idea of a limited slip in the rear, where i ride i dont need a solid locked rear axle, mostly used for yard work and occational trail. The idea behind a limited slip is it locks up with torque so if you are driving through the yard if you arent giving heavy throttle it stays "unlocked". Any idea at this point what the cost per unit would be? I know you dont know exact but im more looking for a ball park?

Thanks

Reactions: kirkgordon
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Why would you want to take a step backwards in the rear end?

Now if you're talking about building a locking and unlocking type differential, that's something people have been asking for. AKA turf mode.
I am building a new billet differential with limited slip posi rear end on a CNC for my honda pioneer 700-4. A drop in, bolt in replacement. Just wondering if there would be any interest In anyone buying this unit in the aftermarket? Also what would people be willing to pay for something like this? This unit would obviously be high quality and very durable. I wouldn't sell until It had serious durability test done.
I
Here you go...

want one!

Reactions: Mudwing
ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is fascinating and promising. I use my 700 for rural homestead land management work, and I think this sort of differential is exactly what I wish for every time I perceive the binding that tears up my trails or leaves tire marks on my pavement.

As for price? I have no idea. It looks expensive. OTOH, I've shelled out for expensive stuff that works.

BHarris8753

BHarris8753

Jan 18, 2020
Robbins, NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is fascinating and promising. I use my 700 for rural homestead land management work, and I think this sort of differential is exactly what I wish for every time I perceive the binding that tears up my trails or leaves tire marks on my pavement.

As for price? I have no idea. It looks expensive. OTOH, I've shelled out for expensive stuff that works.
Id say the price will be expensive but if it works like we are thinking itll be worth it.

B

BillC

Oct 6, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would be interested in a locking rear that I control no limited slip for me.I have 45 years of construction equipment and off road truck experience .Most trucks and equip. you lock the rear yourself even PU manufactures are going to switches.If you think a limited slip won't tear your yard up your are wrong

N

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Any up dates on this ??

W

Wjw2

Oct 12, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Fitting all this into a small package and still being strong is definitely something that has been a challenge. We are not 100 % there without including a shorter axle yet. But we are looking at one option where we could reuse stock axles.

How did you make out with this?

DBD

DBD

Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 700-4
Worm gears under full load and torque will wear faster and ultimately fail, as opposed to the bulletproof straight cut that makes this machine so dependable. If you want slip get less aggressive tires. Truck tires or terrabites

Hondabits

Hondabits

Nov 9, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would like to stop tearing up my yard. Very interested in this.

B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
It might be easier to just make 2 carrier bearings and a split rear drive shaft with a central disconnect sleeve, then just use the front axle in unlocked 4x4 to tool around without messing up your grass then trying to develop a rear limited slip differential that fits in the factory case lol

Hondabits

Hondabits

Nov 9, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
It might be easier to just make 2 carrier bearings and a split rear drive shaft with a central disconnect sleeve, then just use the front axle in unlocked 4x4 to tool around without messing up your grass then trying to develop a rear limited slip differential that fits in the factory case lol
Rear axle still locked, just not driven. Same end result if I understand your suggestion.

Reactions: Farmer
B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Rear axle still locked, just not driven. Same end result if I understand your suggestion.

Yeah it still would, it was more of a sarcastic comment than anything. Without completely swapping a differential for like a 1000s one I don't know see how you're going to get it to work that good

B

Bbbob

Jul 6, 2020
Ohio
I am building a new billet differential with limited slip posi rear end on a CNC for my honda pioneer 700-4. A drop in, bolt in replacement. Just wondering if there would be any interest In anyone buying this unit in the aftermarket? Also what would people be willing to pay for something like this? This unit would obviously be high quality and very durable. I wouldn't sell until It had serious durability test done.
I

T

TlazE

Mar 4, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Any update on this mod? I dislike the locked rear end in my 700, but I don't want a single wheel drive for the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:
C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would have a lot of interest in a Electric Lock or open rear end but not any kind of fan for limited slip. it just never seams to work how you need it to when you need it the worst. I have limited slip in 2 of my trucks 90% of the time its great! its the 10% when s*** gets real that it fails you miserably.
I love 4 wheeling I love braking s*** But when it brakes it better be because I got overly stupid! Not that aftermarket parts failed to preform. I've never seen a limited slip live up to the hype.
But ideas and F-it lets try it is what makes America great. You never know your idea could brake the trend. Even if it don't you tried and that is really the ONLY thing that matters. If you never fail you have truly never tried or lived.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!