Talon New Factory UTV Skid Plates & Sliders

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
After hearing from several of you re: which skid plates to buy, I placed an order this morning for a set of FactoryUTV 1/2" skid plates and sliders. They'll hopefully be shipping on Thursday (Feb 20th). I've watched a couple videos on installation and it seems fairly straightforward. I've also purchased a Rivnut tool and some stainless steel Rivnuts to use in lieu of the self-tapping screws they've included. Now, I've just got to decide whether to, 1) gently roll it on its side, or 2) winch it vertically from a tree limb in order to facilitate ease of install.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm mid 1/2" Trail Armor install. As intimidating as it looked to me, a fairly competent wrench, it's going much easier and faster than I expected. I'm working with the Talon on the ground and using a creeper for mobility. Yes, it's tight but doable. Rivnuts will complicate the process though.

If UTV has you remove the 2 push pins and 3 button head allen heads along the running boards, note that Honda used some Super Loctite to secure them and you'll probably have to chase the threads before inserting new fasteners, at least I did.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
PLenty of space under there , use a creeper and roll under . Be safe

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
PLenty of space under there , use a creeper and roll under . Be safe

Well, I'm 6'4", 260 pounds, and plenty big around the belly. I'm not sure that would apply to me.

Steve

• Haha
Reactions: HUCK
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you are in the Yuma, AZ area, give me a heads up and you can use my 4-post lift in my air conditioned shop. Much more comfortable and covenant..

That's almost worth trailering out for (I'm in Oklahoma City)! Not to mention getting to ride some trails in that neck of the woods. But, alas, time/commitments don't allow. But, thanks for the offer nonetheless.

Steve

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
I did the Trail Armour half inch on my X4. Sitting on 32s I had plenty of room to work under it laying on my back. Used my floor jack to lift the pieces into place so I could work with both hands free. Took a couple hours. I'm 6'3" and 200 lb, in good shape so YMMV, lol.

One thing that helped quite a bit was to actually pre-drill the self tapping screw locations ( I think there were 6?) with a small drill bit. Definitely easier on the couple locations where the self tap location was on a round tube. Using a punch would probably be even better. I didn't have one.

Reactions: CID and stellarpod
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I borrowed some ramps to use with my pioneer which helped. I got some skids at the house i need to install in the next week or so and plan to just lay under it. plenty of room on these things. Might not be the easiest, but definitely safer than the other ways mentioned

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
After hearing from several of you re: which skid plates to buy, I placed an order this morning for a set of FactoryUTV 1/2" skid plates and sliders. They'll hopefully be shipping on Thursday (Feb 20th). I've watched a couple videos on installation and it seems fairly straightforward. I've also purchased a Rivnut tool and some stainless steel Rivnuts to use in lieu of the self-tapping screws they've included. Now, I've just got to decide whether to, 1) gently roll it on its side, or 2) winch it vertically from a tree limb in order to facilitate ease of install.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Steve

I bought a 1 ton chain hoist at a farm supply store for $50. Mounted it 15 feet overhead and chain to front bumper. Then just stand machine straight up on rear end with it still secured to hoist. By far the safest and easiest way I have found. Unless you have a tractor with front end loader to do the same.

Example from Northern Tool
Screenshot 20200218 082802 Chrome

Example with chain attached

Screenshot 20200218 083301 Chrome

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
OEM skids P1K5D in post above.

FUTV 1/2" Ultimate kit installed on P1K5D.

Screenshot 20200218 083714 Chrome

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
OEM skids P1K5D in post above.

FUTV 1/2" Ultimate kit installed on P1K5D.

View attachment 184785

That's the route I'd prefer. Unfortunately, I don't think the rafters in my pole barn are currently up to the task. I'll either have to beef them up or find another solution. I just figured I'd use the winch on the Talon and a snatch block for the lifting duty.

Steve

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!