New Ford 1/2 ton trucks

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran the numbers every which way and can’t find exactly what I want used. Not to mention they want 30-40k for a used truck with 30-90k miles. My new one is right at 50k. I’ve always bought used up until this last f150. Yeah, it costs me a little more but at around 4-5k a year. That’s not too bad considering at the very best I’m $2500 a year.

Trucks are the exception to the rule about buying new imo.

And hey at the end of the day, you have to spend your money on something. What's an extra 1000 dollars/ year to have exactly what you want?

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

Trucks are the exception to the rule about buying new imo.

And hey at the end of the day, you have to spend your money on something. What's an extra 1000 dollars/ year to have exactly what you want?
Exactly.. I’ll buy used if I can find a better deal for what I want. But anymore you have to just happen upon a deal on a vehicle and that’s usually private party transactions. My vehicle is basically my office so I can justify it a bit more. They’re entirely too much money, but when they’re all high it’s really a moot point. Cash for clunkers killed the used market and drove so many small independent dealers out of the market place. The government drove up the prices by bailing out the manufactures and thus allowing them to inflate prices. It’s crazy what these things are bringing. But as I said before... when a used truck is worth as much as they are now it reduces a lot of that depreciation. Factor in repair costs for vehicles with over 100k and new doesn’t look so bad. Yeah, I know vehicles of today will make 200k.. but realistically 200k is about it for a gas burner, then you really start having repair costs. So if 100k is half life and a used truck costs more than half the the original purchase price, not to mention the value really plummets when you have a 200k vehicle with 10 years on it. Buying new just starts to make more sense after you get over that initial hit. Yeah, I can spend less initially. But if I’m not keeping more money in my pocket then what’s the point? It all depends on the kind of mileage you put on one. For me, I just put too many miles on a truck each year. The red Chevy i just sold this fall, I had I bought for 17k and it was an 08 with 52k miles. I just happened upon it and it was a friend of a friend that mentioned selling it and they told me about it. I drove it a couple years and put another 40k on it and sold it for 16k... that’s GREAT! But if those deals aren’t there when you need what you’re looking for, or you’re like me get too specific with what you want.. then you’re just SOL. Lol.... But when you’re buying for a reliable vehicle you can haul a sxs and drive cross country to Moab or where ever. Then you have to be a little more picky.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran the numbers every which way and can’t find exactly what I want used. Not to mention they want 30-40k for a used truck with 30-90k miles. My new one is right at 50k. I’ve always bought used up until this last f150. Yeah, it costs me a little more but at around 4-5k a year. That’s not too bad considering at the very best I’m $2500 a year.
$2500 a year is about how much a pioneer depreciates in a year no matter the accessories. ( i found this out when i traded mine in for a new one )Lol nobody seems to care about that and most people cant even drive it on the road.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
$2500 a year is about how much a pioneer depreciates in a year no matter the accessories. ( i found this out when i traded mine in for a new one )Lol nobody seems to care about that and most people cant even drive it on the road.

I'll be interested to see what the talon does to prices. I'm still seeing 16 1000-5s do 12-13500 at auction. No way the dealer doesnt have to make a couple grand on one. That looks like prices are holding fairly well- even for those early models with the clutch questions.

Like anything, you make (or keep) your money when you buy. At full retail that's still a big hit. At Abernathy prices, there's darn near break even.

I will agree that accessories never hold their value. You really have to find THE right guy to value your set up, and even then I figure 50% max. Frankly I prefer to buy stuff that's pretty bone stock- you never know what kind of short cuts a backyard mechanic you don't know took!

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2012 f150 5.0 I bought brand new. I had two silverados prior with each attaining 300,000 miles respectively, minor minor repairs. I just turned 200,000 miles on the f150 with only a 275$ water pump repair. It has been bulletproof. When I was buying in 2012 the eco boost was brand new and selling like hot cakes, I got a huge rebate to buy the 5.0. Nine out of ten ford mechanics prefer the 5.0 over the turbo according to a couple of YouTube videos. I bought the ford because they didn’t take any GM ( government money)

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does anyone here have any info on the 3.5 non EB? I dont want it to tow, it will be just a service truck. Maybe [HASHTAG]#700[/HASHTAG] of tools and tool box

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone here have any info on the 3.5 non EB? I dont want it to tow, it will be just a service truck. Maybe [HASHTAG]#700[/HASHTAG] of tools and tool box
3.5 na or 3.3na?
What year truck?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
3.5 na 16 -17 single cab

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3.5 na 16 -17 single cab
I don't know much about that engine. But I do know I am happy with my Ford. The flat floor is so nice in the cab.
700lbs probably won't be much of an issue on the truck at all.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My service trucks get about 25k miles per year and 85% city driving. So transmissions, brakes and starters are the normal problem areas.

Tradertrent

Tradertrent

Lifetime Member
Apr 7, 2017
MONTANA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wife and I will be in the market for another Ford Pick Me Up soon and was wondering if any of you 3.5 EB owners have the Max Tow and Max Payload package that includes the 9.75" rear axle w/3.73 ratio? If so, what has been your experience and average fuel mileage?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My service trucks get about 25k miles per year and 85% city driving. So transmissions, brakes and starters are the normal problem areas.
The bonus of switching to the F150 platform is they are the #1 selling vehicle in North America, so parts are readily available and cheap!

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
All the talk about the 150 with the 5 liter and the Ecoboost, I am going to rain on your parade and tell you about the 150 I used to have. It had the 6.2 Raptor motor and with the exception of the Roush Cold Air Box and Banks exhaust it was all stock. It was a beast in HP towing and on the highway around 19 MPH around town 16. The only reason I sold it was because I had to go diesel.

Reactions: JTW
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
All the talk about the 150 with the 5 liter and the Ecoboost, I am going to rain on your parade and tell you about the 150 I used to have. It had the 6.2 Raptor motor and with the exception of the Roush Cold Air Box and Banks exhaust it was all stock. It was a beast in HP towing and on the highway around 19 MPH around town 16. The only reason I sold it was because I had to go diesel.

My Titan is a 2017 I had a custom exhaust built for the truck and installed a K&N CAI i'm approximately 5hp off a raptor with the 5.6l endurance. I want to run one 0-90/100 to see how well it can hang.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wife and I will be in the market for another Ford Pick Me Up soon and was wondering if any of you 3.5 EB owners have the Max Tow and Max Payload package that includes the 9.75" rear axle w/3.73 ratio? If so, what has been your experience and average fuel mileage?

@joeymt33 has max tow, for an 2018 which is what I am looking at, I believe max payload is only an added leaf and 7lug 20" wheels. Here is the info link for that. HDPP is only with 3.55 on 2018, for 2019 you can only get the HDPP with 3.73

Reactions: JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
3 seater deprecates quicker then the 5. Around here they don’t deprecate as quickly as the do over East. I think that’s because we’re forced to buy at asking price though.

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!