New Ford 1/2 ton trucks

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
This thread brought back my want for a F150 Limited I found two I want to look at on Car gurus one is red on red/black leather the other is black on on a yellowish/tan both have trailer assist. I told my wife I would keep my Titan 5 years then look at a F150 I may not make it through the weekend.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe look at the 2.7L EB it has 325hp 375 torque.

Most of our company service trucks (F-150s anyway) have the 2.7EB, vans E-350 are all diesel, not sure about the new transit 350s, cars are Fusion and Escape with 1.5EB, they left the hybrids and NA, and moved to EB across the board as they have had statistically lower fuel and service costs. This is across 30,000+ vehicles in US, Mexico, and Canada. I’m sure they have a few lemons in there but that’s a LARGE sample.

I just tried getting out of company car program but with no longer being able to deduct mileage on a personal vehicle used for work, I quit trying, in the process I learned a good bit about our company fleet.

They moved away from chevy several years ago because Ford was half the yearly maintenance per mile driven across the fleet. Dodge was a little more than Ford per mile driven, dodge tried to make a play for discounts on the vehicles upfront but the cost added up when it’s 500+ million miles a year. Across 30,000plus vehicles.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some of you might not want to say but what did your loaded f-150 cost? Our Laramie Ram which has trailer brake,3.92 rear,heated and cooled seats,satellite radio,bed lights,20 inch wheels,8 speed HEMI and a bunch more was 35,000.00 plus taxes.

Reactions: Plumber32
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some of you might not want to say but what did your loaded f-150 cost? Our Laramie Ram which has trailer brake,3.92 rear,heated and cooled seats,satellite radio,bed lights,20 inch wheels,8 speed HEMI and a bunch more was 35,000.00 plus taxes.

When I was shopping the dealer I bought from also had ram in house. I almost bought the limited ram 1500 with the hemi. I think it is a nicer truck interior wise and options wise. I went with the ford because I felt better about the resale and knew the ecoboost is the big dog of the 1/2 ton trucks. The platinum I bought was $3k more than the limited ram with air ride, 22’s etc. (both truck basically loaded out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
June 2016. Went out the door for $42,000 plus tax. Got 35k miles on it now without any issues.

2019 03 27 21 24 59

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
J

JTW

My red one 58k sticker and the new one on order 61k... both are right at 50k out the door after rebates and A plan. Too much f***ing money! But my trade in value offsets the hurt.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gosh the kind of money you guys are talking you can get a 3/4 or 1 ton with decent features (no heated seats or leather but nice camera/radio, remote start, aluminum wheels, etc).

What's keeping everyone from doing this? Just not pulling be enough weight? Too many miles without the trailer and you want the gas mileage? Company won't do a 3/4 ton truck?

Reactions: JTW and sharp
advertisement
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gosh the kind of money you guys are talking you can get a 3/4 or 1 ton with decent features (no heated seats or leather but nice camera/radio, remote start, aluminum wheels, etc).

What's keeping everyone from doing this? Just not pulling be enough weight? Too many miles without the trailer and you want the gas mileage? Company won't do a 3/4 ton truck?

I’ve had 3/4 and 1 tons. I wanted a smaller truck. No need for what I was driving without towing big trailers. Still have several 3/4,1 ton and even 2 Pete’s if I really need it at my father in laws. I wanted something I could drive everyday and get good mileage, ride smooth, and flat tow behind my motorhome. Those were my requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500

I got mine in South Dakota when I blew the transmission on my old Explorer and had to do something, but that's probably why I'll get another one.

J

JTW

Don’t want one... If I were pulling more, then maybe. But if I put 20-30k miles on a vehicle a year and realistically 1000-2000 of that is with a trailer. Why would I want a 3/4 the rest of the time. I thought hard about an f250... but in the end. If you’re buying a heavier truck for pulling then a diesel is the better way to go. Now you’re talking more money, more maintenance and higher fuel cost. I’d much rather give 35-40k for my truck but that’s just not happening. I could buy a Cummins for 50-60k but again. Ride quality, fuel cost and maintenance throw a real kicker into it. The F150 max tow gives me the middle ground I’m after... if I get a 20’ enclosed and pull it to Moab it will do it... would a 3/4 diesel be better? Yup! If I’m not pulling heavy weight then the Ram is a solid option for what you get for the money!! There’s no doubt about that! But if you’re like me and want/need something in the middle, I think the F150 3.5eb is the best option going. Now, I could spend a lot less if I didn’t want all the options. But in the end, I said f*** it... it’s my money, I can afford it and in 100 years it won’t matter (more like 50).. so why not.

J

JTW

Glad I spent less for more options on my Ram.
Well, good for you... but this is exactly why I didn’t choose a ram. This was a 3/4 gas Ram on our Moab trip last year. It was a f***ing turd! It was a shiney and pretty turd but wasn’t worth a s*** for pulling! And that was a 3/4 ton!! We ended up with an average fuel economy around 5mpg. Not to mention, it simply lacked the guts to pull in the mountains. It was f***ing terrible! You can say what you want and fan boy all you like.. but the ram just doesn’t compare when hooked to a load!

DC2ABED0 02F6 44EB ACB9 B26B1A00857F

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The F150 max tow gives me the middle ground I’m after... if I get a 20’ enclosed and pull it to Moab it will do it... would a 3/4 diesel be better? Yup! ....
Bingo!!

Don’t want one... If I were pulling more, then maybe. But if I put 20-30k miles on a vehicle a year and realistically 1000-2000 of that is with a trailer. Why would I want a 3/4 the rest of the time. I thought hard about an f250... but in the end. If you’re buying a heavier truck for pulling then a diesel is the better way to go. Now you’re talking more money, more maintenance and higher fuel cost. I’d much rather give 35-40k for my truck but that’s just not happening. I could buy a Cummins for 50-60k but again. Ride quality, fuel cost and maintenance throw a real kicker into it. The F150 max tow gives me the middle ground I’m after... if I get a 20’ enclosed and pull it to Moab it will do it... would a 3/4 diesel be better? Yup! If I’m not pulling heavy weight then the Ram is a solid option for what you get for the money!! There’s no doubt about that! But if you’re like me and want/need something in the middle, I think the F150 3.5eb is the best option going. Now, I could spend a lot less if I didn’t want all the options. But in the end, I said f*** it... it’s my money, I can afford it and in 100 years it won’t matter (more like 50).. so why not.

We've talked and I'm right there with you on my needs for a truck to put me in that zone where only a F150 MaxTow fits. I'll be using it for 4-6k lbs on a semi regular basis, occasionally pulling a 10k lbs fully loaded enclosed. Maybe 10-15k miles a year at the absolute most since it won't be a daily as I am stuck with this company car because of present tax law. We have pretty much decided a toy hauler just isn't in our needs as much as our wants as we probably won't get the money out of it, much less a larger truck to pull it with. I'll never own another Chevy that has been well established, and I could care less brand loyalty wise between Ford, Ram, or Toyota, but the Ford meets my needs better than the other two and gets better fuel mileage. Statistics from a massive fleet of vehicles shows its also the most likely to be the most reliable with regular maintenance. SO taking all of that into account over a planned 10yr ownership period it makes the most sense. Also I like the interior the most and the customer service I have so far gotten from Ford on the company car and my wife Explorer has been more than acceptable.

J

JTW

Glad I spent less for more options on my Ram.
And FYI... you didn’t spend less for more option. In fact, you're losing as much or more than I am per year based on your 37,500 purchase. If you’re compatible used retail price is 22k it’s fair to assume a dealer would allow 17,500 on trade. That’s a 20k loss...
Vs.. 50k purchase price and 32k trade value is 18k loss. So, while the initial cost maybe more, the used value and depreciation makes up for it. That’s not even taking into consideration the better performance while owing it.

96571977 57B0 481D 9945 38C2A177CCC0
F3B1AC4C 794E 4626 AD0B AB6BE9DEF099
6FA81BD4 8F34 4127 9E39 AB32BDCC44C9
6C7584A2 9658 4BC2 A400 97611E3759BB

Reactions: sharp and Neohio
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, good for you... but this is exactly why I didn’t choose a ram. This was a 3/4 gas Ram on our Moab trip last year. It was a f***ing turd! It was a shiney and pretty turd but wasn’t worth a s*** for pulling! And that was a 3/4 ton!! We ended up with an average fuel economy around 5mpg. Not to mention, it simply lacked the guts to pull in the mountains. It was f***ing terrible! You can say what you want and fan boy all you like.. but the ram just doesn’t compare when hooked to a load!

View attachment 118365
You said a 3/4 ton not a 1/2 ton. If you don't trade every 2 or 3 years depreciation doesn't apply, maybe that is why Ford sells more trucks, trading them in to keep a good one or one under warranty. Glad you are a Ford fan boy, hope the new one serves you well.Besides if your Ford is all that why did you drive a Ram ? My Ram would have made it out there fine. Looks to me like you were averaging 7 mpg.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
90% of my trucks usage will be for work and I think everyone knows why I chose the truck I did. Overkill by a long shot for the work required but I do love the benefits. One thing I wouldn’t do is continuously over work a truck but if well within its limits any truck will usually do.
With that said if I were to go newer truck and I was putting mainly unloaded miles I would possibly choose 1/2ton. Obviously a big diesel fan but I hate some of the newer expensive problems, and if you don’t need 1000ft pound why have it. Even for smaller loads I can say honestly from what I’ve seen in the woods a 1/2 ton holds up better, it just doesn’t bang itself to death. We’ve been around and seen a lot of different trucks come up and are familiar with most brands. Unless lower mileage usually the 1/2 tons come up quieter but they are usually the same. One truck that does set itself apart (although behind times a lot now) is the Toyota. No matter the year those damn things just sneak up on you sometimes, the only rattles or squeaks coming from the camper. But most of the rigs I compare are not mainly pavement rigs, and most people that go out there don’t beat up on a newer rig.
Again I’m a Cummins guy and that limits me a bit and I won’t be buying new anytime soon so those are just my impressions from what I’ve seen

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And FYI... you didn’t spend less for more option. In fact, you're losing as much or more than I am per year based on your 37,500 purchase. If you’re compatible used retail price is 22k it’s fair to assume a dealer would allow 17,500 on trade. That’s a 20k loss...
Vs.. 50k purchase price and 32k trade value is 18k loss. So, while the initial cost maybe more, the used value and depreciation makes up for it. That’s not even taking into consideration the better performance while owing it.

View attachment 118367 View attachment 118368 View attachment 118369 View attachment 118370
Why do the Rams have 76,000 to over 100,000 miles? Are you comparing apples and oranges again. You ordered a new Ford and already have stuff to put on it? It doesn't come equipped already? You truly are a Ford fan boy!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!