P1000 new guy question

D

donbaily

Sep 17, 2018
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got a 2017 1000-3LE. Looking at skids and I see ricochet makes a aluminum one with uhmd bonded to it. Has anyone had any experience with this? If I get the ones that just do the footwell is the stock aluminum okay in the middle? Most of my riding is the black hills and Colorado. Thanks guys. This things gonna be the nuts. Moving up from a Can Am max atv but still keeping my Honda Foreman.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just got a 2017 1000-3LE. Looking at skids and I see ricochet makes a aluminum one with uhmd bonded to it. Has anyone had any experience with this? If I get the ones that just do the footwell is the stock aluminum okay in the middle? Most of my riding is the black hills and Colorado. Thanks guys. This things gonna be the nuts. Moving up from a Can Am max atv but still keeping my Honda Foreman.
2017 1000-3LE?????

Reactions: BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Most of my riding is the black hills and Colorado.
Beautiful places to ride. I have no experience with the skids you’re referring to, but you’re likely to have somebody here that has. :)

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a friend that put ricochet aluminum and plastic on rzr ,after him helping me with my trail armor and running his a year he wished he had gone trail armor said thin plastic on ricochet is pulling back .

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have an LE it the Ricochet extra outside sliders. No plastic add ones. I had 1/2" Uhmw on my 700. I think f I were to replace my side I would go with the 1/2" UHMW.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Hey welcome to the forum

I had a 2016 1000-3 and just bought a 2018 1003-LE and before I ever took it anywhere I took the factory skid plate off and replaced it. It looks pretty but it just isn't strong enough. I have tested a couple options and would recommend 1/2" UHMW. You can read more about it here: P1000 - Trail Armor Skid Plate Review

I think the aluminum/plastic combo just doesn't work well. The plastic is too thin to add any structural support and the aluminum gets beat up.

Trail Armor offers 10% off to members of this forum and occasionally they offer an extra 10%.

I think that tells most of the story but if you have questions feel free to ask.

H

HondaTech

These type of skid plates mentioned do seem to offer a lot of protection. The few I've worked on that have had them come with a large center section that is removable to make oil changes less messy. I think 6 or 9 bolt/washers and the whole bottom of the engine is accessible. Helps keep clutch recalls from making a mess as well.

Also a lot easier to put on a 2 post to change the oil, stock plates make you position the arms in precise spots in order for you to get them off. These full body ones with the panel don't have that problem.

Edit: It seems the plate I've had experience with are Trail Armor.

D

donbaily

Sep 17, 2018
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
These type of skid plates mentioned do seem to offer a lot of protection. The few I've worked on that have had them come with a large center section that is removable to make oil changes less messy. I think 6 or 9 bolt/washers and the whole bottom of the engine is accessible. Helps keep clutch recalls from making a mess as well.

Also a lot easier to put on a 2 post to change the oil, stock plates make you position the arms in precise spots in order for you to get them off. These full body ones with the panel don't have that problem.

Edit: It seems the plate I've had experience with are Trail Armor.

advertisement
D

donbaily

Sep 17, 2018
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Trail Armor it will be then. Still have to get the extra battery, door bushings, terrabites,vent kit, bilge blower damn I’m just glad I don’t live down south and have to make this thing into a swamp buggy. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: sharp, JTW and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trail Armor it will be then. Still have to get the extra battery, door bushings, terrabites,vent kit, bilge blower damn I’m just glad I don’t live down south and have to make this thing into a swamp buggy. Thanks for the help.
Snorkel ,relocate vent lines ect.ect,ect

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might want to hold off before you install that bilge fan. I live in New Hampshire and I’ve never found the heat that this thing puts off to be excessive.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
D

donbaily

Sep 17, 2018
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If I get water to the floorboards I’m backing up.. do I still need to snorkel it?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If I get water to the floorboards I’m backing up.. do I still need to snorkel it?
I’m not snorkeled and have been through plenty of water over the floorboards with no trouble whatsoever. But, I travel slowly through it. What year model is your 1000? If it doesn’t have the Honda retro air intake, make sure you do that. And you certainly should get the vent extension kit, it’s cheap and easy to install. IMO

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!