P1000m5 New member here from WV

J

JerryWV

Oct 30, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings from the southern coal fields of WV. I slid in here a couple days ago and have been overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge in the forums. I bought my first sxs, P1k5, this summer after making a hundred phone calls to find one. As a new rider I have somethings I need to know: 1. When do you need to add a second battery? I plan to add front and rear lights, maybe side lights, usb plugs, and an interior light. I’ve already installed a Badlands 5000# winch. 2. Do I have to add a fuse box if the wiring harnesses I use have inline fuses. Seems like I could use a bus bar instead. 3. That badlands winch I just mentioned, the remote works but the dash switch only works on the “in” side. No click or nothing when pushing out. A506805A D6E1 4DFB BCCF EF58EF4AB26C

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from southern Ohio! It’s nice to run your winch on your second battery that way if you and trying to drive forward while winching out your transmission is not having voltage/amperage pulled away from it. This can cause clutch slipping which is not what you want.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Greetings from the southern coal fields of WV. I slid in here a couple days ago and have been overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge in the forums. I bought my first sxs, P1k5, this summer after making a hundred phone calls to find one. As a new rider I have somethings I need to know: 1. When do you need to add a second battery? I plan to add front and rear lights, maybe side lights, usb plugs, and an interior light. I’ve already installed a Badlands 5000# winch. 2. Do I have to add a fuse box if the wiring harnesses I use have inline fuses. Seems like I could use a bus bar instead. 3. That badlands winch I just mentioned, the remote works but the dash switch only works on the “in” side. No click or nothing when pushing out. View attachment 233438
Welcome from South FL!
Nice ride
(1) It is nice to add the second battery pretty much NOW!! 😉 the DCT works off battery voltage so you do not want to risk it, for about $100 you can be all set up. Also, check out the club store for a complete dual battery wiring set up. (2) if you are using the harnesses that come with the built-in relays and in-line fuses you don't need a fuse box, most people have a fuse box cause I guess it's a cleaner look and you can just add accessories as you please by running a few wires instead of buying a harness each time. (3) I would check the wiring on the back of the switch, should be pretty strait forward, you might have a defective switch. A nice upgrade to the Badlands if it didn't come with is a synthetic rope, about $30. Makes life A LOT easier. Good luck!

#NTC

J

JerryWV

Oct 30, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from South FL!
Nice ride
(1) It is nice to add the second battery pretty much NOW!! 😉 the DCT works off battery voltage so you do not want to risk it, for about $100 you can be all set up. Also, check out the club store for a complete dual battery wiring set up. (2) if you are using the harnesses that come with the built-in relays and in-line fuses you don't need a fuse box, most people have a fuse box cause I guess it's a cleaner look and you can just add accessories as you please by running a few wires instead of buying a harness each time. (3) I would check the wiring on the back of the switch, should be pretty strait forward, you might have a defective switch. A nice upgrade to the Badlands if it didn't come with is a synthetic rope, about $30. Makes life A LOT easier. Good luck!

#NTC
Thanks for the info.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from SE ky. When these guys figure out where you live they will prob be wanting to camp on your lawn. You have a winch I think you need a second battery. Check out the hondasxsclub store winch switch set up. I installed the BL winch and replaced the switch with the one from the club because I didn’t like the one included with the winch You can still Wire remote in as well. The stinger fuse box setup gives you key on/off controllable power.

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Greetings from the southern coal fields of WV. I slid in here a couple days ago and have been overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge in the forums. I bought my first sxs, P1k5, this summer after making a hundred phone calls to find one. As a new rider I have somethings I need to know: 1. When do you need to add a second battery? I plan to add front and rear lights, maybe side lights, usb plugs, and an interior light. I’ve already installed a Badlands 5000# winch. 2. Do I have to add a fuse box if the wiring harnesses I use have inline fuses. Seems like I could use a bus bar instead. 3. That badlands winch I just mentioned, the remote works but the dash switch only works on the “in” side. No click or nothing when pushing out. View attachment 233438
WELCOME from NW AR!

J

JerryWV

Oct 30, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from SE ky. When these guys figure out where you live they will prob be wanting to camp on your lawn. You have a winch I think you need a second battery. Check out the hondasxsclub store winch switch set up. I installed the BL winch and replaced the switch with the one from the club because I didn’t like the one included with the winch You can still Wire remote in as well. The stinger fuse box setup gives you key on/off controllable power.
I pulled the switch out this evening and took it back to HF since I’ve had it less than 90 days, but the manager told me I had to return the whole thing. They don’t replace parts. I explained it was already mounted and she just kindly repeated herself. I’ll look at the club switch. Thanks.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Welcome from the 906.....that's the U.P of Michigan.....aka da Yoop!

I'll 2nd the need for a 2nd battery now, like the other's said it's best to run your winch off the aux battery. @Hondasxs can get you hooked up with what you need.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I pulled the switch out this evening and took it back to HF since I’ve had it less than 90 days, but the manager told me I had to return the whole thing. They don’t replace parts. I explained it was already mounted and she just kindly repeated herself. I’ll look at the club switch. Thanks.
9CB79A90 0604 43FA B584 37F5308C30099CB79A90 0604 43FA B584 37F5308C300986AC2874 82A4 462E B15E 8E42CBC87F3486AC2874 82A4 462E B15E 8E42CBC87F349CB79A90 0604 43FA B584 37F5308C300986AC2874 82A4 462E B15E 8E42CBC87F34
That it. I still say upgrade the switch but if you have your heart set on the original equipment I’ll send you this one. Just pm where to send it. It worked fine just not a great fit with The switch panel I’m using. Never installed used to check function.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!