P500 New member with a P5 on the way...a few questions.

E

Euphorean

Jul 20, 2018
Spirit Lake, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
My wife and I just ordered a new P5 from Coeur d'Alene Powersports (CDA Honda) which should be here in another week or so. We also picked up a couple helmets.

Being brand new to the sport, I have a few questions for the forum.

What mods are must have right off the bat for trail riding?

What have you found to be the best way, safest, to secure a labrador retriever?

Where can we look to find group rides, poker rides, etc in the CDA, Post Falls, Rathdrum, Spokane area?

And finally, If you have added rocker switch panels and have the time, can you post a picture of your dash or where ever you installed them? I am considering a 6-gang rocker switch panel to cover winch power, winch in-out, light bar, rear lights and future accessories. I figured in the space to the left of the warning sticker, but not sure if what I am seeing on amazon will fit or if there is something behind that location that will prevent install.

I don't want to cover the sticker because I will likely buy one of the gloveboxes that a member here sells to install there.

Looking forward to the discussions.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I would definatly add extended vent lines. Most importantly to the fuel tank. Larger tires will help with ground clearance and help soften the ride. Also some aftermarket wheels and/or spacers to help with stability.

Check out the switch panels from @mystic1219
They are custom made to fit the Pioneers. I wish I had known about them when I started adding to my P500.
Multi - Custom Switch Panels (2017 thread)

Personally, although its not needed, power steering would be at the top of my list. I wished I had did it sooner. And now that the locker is available that would be added as well.

Welcome to the addiction, we will be glad to help you spend your money.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Winch
Roof
Windshield
Tires
Power Steering
Enjoy and welcome

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudder
R

Rustell

You have some beautiful places to ride in your area..... Roof, Tires.... windshield....tunes.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Winch (or even a come along) and recovery gear. These are a must if riding with just the one machine imo

Roof or sunscreen personally we do both

Pets...I’d make or buy something like the hunting dog crates they have for pickup truck beds and secure it to the rack if you’re riding with two people. If solo then one of the seat belt clips and harnesses would suffice if they will passenger ride well.

That will get you started then you can add what you like as you use it. Some will say tires and skid plates are a must but that really depends on where and how you ride.

It is a great machine and you’ve found the best forum for it.

Reactions: Mudder and Mudwing
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club @Euphorean and congrats on the new ride! I know some guys use the big rockers but they take up a lot of room on the little P5 dash. GPS, voltmeter, bluetooth unit, etc. I just use the lighted toggles, they're small. Once you've cut the holes it's done.
I'd say remove the sway bar, add tires and spacers to make the biggest difference right away.
Pic as requested...

Glove box

E

Euphorean

Jul 20, 2018
Spirit Lake, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club @Euphorean and congrats on the new ride! I know some guys use the big rockers but they take up a lot of room on the little P5 dash. GPS, voltmeter, bluetooth unit, etc. I just use the lighted toggles, they're small. Once you've cut the holes it's done.
I'd say remove the sway bar, add tires and spacers to make the biggest difference right away.
Pic as requested...

View attachment 81520
That is a clean looking install. I will look into those switches.

Do you find that location for speakers works well or are they in the way for your legs?

Reactions: trigger
advertisement
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would like to join the club, get on the email list...whatever you use to communicate these rides.

We just use this site for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That is a clean looking install. I will look into those switches.

Do you find that location for speakers works well or are they in the way for your legs?

They weren't in the way at all, in fact there are bigger ones in fiberglass pods in that location now. Speaking of which, I need to sell those old ones. They came with a mini amp too.

Speaker Pods

Last edited:
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Alabama, ditto what most have said about roof and windshield. Some have opted to run OEM tires until the tread is shot, I swapped out soon after purchase (after weighing different tire manufacturers). I’ve even heard of some owners making swap deals with dealership for tire / wheel upgrade at purchase.

luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Definitely extend the gas tank vent.its under passenger seat.disable the speed limiter on the seat belt,disable the reverse lever.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
P

PNWGuy

I live about an hour or so South of you and just bought mine from Mac's Cycle in Clarkston, WA. They sell a bunch of them and has a pretty good deal. The price is $9500. But, there is no destination charge or shop fee and they include a $750 credit for accessories. So the price is actually $8750. My total bill for a red 2018 with 3500lb winch, roof, and street legal kit was $10k with tax. title,etc.

I also have a large dog who will be my trail buddy. He is a 100lb lab/great dane mix. I previously had a Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV; no room for him. So I borrowed my dad's ATV trailer and headed into the woods. He immediately jumped out and hated it.

I also had a Jeep Wrangler and he loved riding in that, but the Jeep couldn't go anywhere due to width restrictions on trails around here.

So I bought the Pioneer.

I have some limited fabrication skills and a lot of imagination, so I will be welding up a custom rear rack.

If you can't fabricate your own, and can afford to drop $300 on a nice rack (Stateline notwithstanding...) I've seen some designs available that should have plenty of room for a large dog.

91kYDb q4OL SL1500

574ard 2 1

cb100-11_2.jpg

But, if you are looking for the absolute cheapest option for adding something to the back that looks good and will work, then I was looking at a couple of different SUV roof racks on Amazon that may work.

Couple are under $100. This one is under $70 and the dimensions are 46 x 36. I would mount it sideways...

81YF6nLppRL SL1500

Vaden01

Vaden01

Jul 4, 2018
Callahan, FL.
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from N. Florida. Great forums,pics and discussions are in your near future!!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My wife and I just ordered a new P5 from Coeur d'Alene Powersports (CDA Honda) which should be here in another week or so. We also picked up a couple helmets.

Being brand new to the sport, I have a few questions for the forum.

What mods are must have right off the bat for trail riding?

What have you found to be the best way, safest, to secure a labrador retriever?

Where can we look to find group rides, poker rides, etc in the CDA, Post Falls, Rathdrum, Spokane area?

And finally, If you have added rocker switch panels and have the time, can you post a picture of your dash or where ever you installed them? I am considering a 6-gang rocker switch panel to cover winch power, winch in-out, light bar, rear lights and future accessories. I figured in the space to the left of the warning sticker, but not sure if what I am seeing on amazon will fit or if there is something behind that location that will prevent install.

I don't want to cover the sticker because I will likely buy one of the gloveboxes that a member here sells to install there.

Looking forward to the discussions.
Welcome from NW Arkansas! You'll enjoy your P5!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I would like to join the club, get on the email list...whatever you use to communicate these rides.
Welcome. Link to regional info on bottom of home page. North Pacific Region - WA, OR, ID, AK
From a get home safe opinion, a winch tops my list as not too expensive. Bigger diameter tires help smooth the ride. In cold, a full windshield is nice, but a full face helment works too. Power steering was a welcomed mod for tight trails. Cargo racks can be had for less than $100. Lastly, if riding with others, rear view or side mirrors (koplin). Many good ideas by searching older posts, great forum, enjoy! PS, dash has easy cut out lines for some switches if you look closley, especially from under the hood... which saved room for a Chooglin glove box.

1722D041 19BA 4473 9709 B292CB5B6698

Last edited:
E

Euphorean

Jul 20, 2018
Spirit Lake, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hey PNWGuy,

Thank you for the tip about Mac's Cycle. I gave CDA Honda a chance to match Mac's deal, but they couldn't do it. I ordered one up from Mac's and will pick it up next weekend with the $750 accessories. Tom at Mac's has been really easy to work with. I'll post again after I puck up the P5 about my experience with Mac's Cycle in Clarkston, WA.

Although they couldn't match the deal, CDA Honda was still a class act about it. They reimbursed my deposit with no issues at all and wished me well and enjoyment regardless of where I bought the P5. I will still be using them for the service department and future accessories and I do still recommend them as a dealership. I worked with Josh specifically and found him very easy to work with and not pushy at all.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!