P500 New set of tires for my 500

R

Ruckus3

May 16, 2017
minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
First time poster here, and first off I really like this forum. I've been reading it for weeks and now just bought a 2015 w/90 miles, so far so good!

What I don't like however are the small tires on this machine. So I'd like to add new rubber to the existing rims. I found a like new set (but used) of Bighorn 2.0's but the sizing seem a bit odd given the fronts are smaller than the rear, i.e. 25 vs 26.

What do you think about swapping out my originals for this:

2 - 26x11-12
2 - 25x8x12

Is this workable or not ideal? Perhaps I'm just better off getting 26's all the way around. Thanks in advance for your help!

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have BH 2.0 26" on front and back, on stock rims. Big difference over stock tires. :) If you are getting a killer deal, the 25" on front should work clearance wise. You are only talking about a 1/2" difference. You might want to bump the front shock up one notch to compensate. But, from a 4wheel drive standpoint, probably want to keep all tires the same OD. While I think it is OK for the fronts to be pulling slightly, you would want more of an expert than I, to chime in. There is about 3" difference per tire revolution, and the backs would be pushing.

Last edited:
R

Ruckus3

May 16, 2017
minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I have BH 2.0 26" on front and back, on stock rims. Big difference over stock tires. :) If you are getting a killer deal, the 25" on front should work clearance wise. You are only talking about a 1/2" difference. You might want to bump the front shock up one notch to compensate. But, from a 4wheel drive standpoint, probably want to keep all tires the same OD. While I think it is OK for the fronts to be pulling slightly, you would want more of an expert than I, to chime in. There is about 3" difference per tire revolution, and the backs would be pushing.
That's an interesting thought regarding wheel diameter - I think I'll pass and stay w/26's all the way around.

Anyone have a reasonable tire recommendation, all around tire that is with a mix of trail riding in dirt, some mud and some hardpack . . .

Reactions: rocmar and 500oneer
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
First time poster here, and first off I really like this forum. I've been reading it for weeks and now just bought a 2015 w/90 miles, so far so good!

What I don't like however are the small tires on this machine. So I'd like to add new rubber to the existing rims. I found a like new set (but used) of Bighorn 2.0's but the sizing seem a bit odd given the fronts are smaller than the rear, i.e. 25 vs 26.

What do you think about swapping out my originals for this:

2 - 26x11-12
2 - 25x8x12

Is this workable or not ideal? Perhaps I'm just better off getting 26's all the way around. Thanks in advance for your help!
26"...is most common on here...
but with low psi...
you won't get true height..
26x9x12 front
26x11x12 rear
that's at 5x2 offset
very common ...
some match the width...on all 4 corners
so there spare works on. All

R

Rustell

New tires  from24s to 26s Stock 24s and new 26" Kenda Bearclaw Htrs.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My front shocks...are not adjustable
5.9"..travel...period..

Reactions: Miss_Oak
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I put 26x9 Max is Ceros on all 4 corners...very happy in all c9nditions
Cero's...great choice....
all around tire..not great in
..mud or snow...but treads
don't plug...I'm 2 1/2 years....
on mine .... $ worth spent

advertisement
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Have run some 27x9x12's on the 500 for about a hundred miles. Liked it. Pulled them and put them on the 700 and ran about 400 miles and really like them. Depends on your riding but I would like to try a set of 26 inch rubber on the 500 as seems to be the choice among many.

Welcome to the forum Ruckus3.

John

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Have run some 27x9x12's on the 500 for about a hundred miles. Liked it. Pulled them and put them on the 700 and ran about 400 miles and really like them. Depends on your riding but I would like to try a set of 26 inch rubber on the 500 as seems to be the choice among many.

Welcome to the forum Ruckus3.

John
I went from stock...
to 26"...they gave me
the height...wheels gave
me the look..I wanted..
gives it a good stance
as well...

Reactions: 100Acre and trigger
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I like the taller thinner tires, the width of a shorter traditional ATV tire can rob more power in the mud than a lot of guys are willing to admit, and you don't gain any real ground clearance advantage with a 25" tire.
With a tire like these Interco R-Force (27" & 30" available) you get a tight compact tread that will let you drive over things. With a 25" tire and two adults you can high center on a bowling ball.
Photo20May200920122006205120PM

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I like the taller thinner tires, the width of a shorter traditional ATV tire can rob more power in the mud than a lot of guys are willing to admit, and you don't gain any real ground clearance advantage with a 25" tire.
With a tire like these Interco R-Force (27" & 30" available) you get a tight compact tread that will let you drive over things. With a 25" tire and two adults you can high center on a bowling ball.
View attachment 43929

If I were doing it again I'd consider 27" s. Maybe 14" wheels too. The bigger the better.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!