HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You're sure on the 36mm for the non s 2023? Pretty sure mine measured 34mm
Nope...
I had 2 people tell me 36mm.
No, I haven't personally verified.

Requesting hands on verification if anyone can check sometime.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dankathy
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Maybe it is 34.

Looks like I was told 34 at one point also.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dankathy
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Somehow I got the impression that all 4 inner CVs on the Talon were the same part number, they most certainly are not.

Rear inboard, a regular, everyday CV joint -

What I learned when building 2 spare axles - You can install a rear CV on a front axle and you won't know it until you notice the boot won't fit on the CV, the axle spline and CV spline are the same and the circlip will snap into place like everything is hunky dory. 🤔 Now you have a fully assembled CV, full of grease that you have to take back apart to install the correct CV. :oops:

Also note that you can't buy a fully assembled axle assembly, front or rear, from Honda - you have to buy an axle, which comes with the outboard CV installed, and also buy an inboard CV that you'll get to fill with grease and install on the new axle. And then you'll still have to figure out how to clamp those damnable boot clamps - I bring mine to the dealer and they've broken two of the large Honda clamps. :eek: The inner boot, clamps, circlips and grease come with the axle.

Front inboard CV is clearly different (and smaller O.D.) and now we know what drives our wheel speed sensors, apparently they needed a mechanical system instead of a magnetic sensor. I can confirm that you can run a larger tire to get back to camp in an 'emergency'. I cut a sidewall 30 miles out and had to borrow a 32" tire to get back (I run 30's). I only used i4wd when absolutely necessary and the computer didn't seem to notice my transgression.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This isn't a first things to know and check but I'm putting it here for future reference if I ever find myself needing to do clutch work.

Disclaimers - 1. Mud Puppy needs to drink less coffee. :oops: 2. This is a very basic overview and, since I've never done anything in this area, have no idea how accurate his information is (or how damaging it may be, you be the judge for yourself). 3. I think the first few minutes of this cover some very basic tips that will help me past some basic mistakes. 4. Any real mechanic will probably have a coronary trying to watch this, get over it, I'm not a real mechanic and need all the very basic tips I can find - don't like it, make a better one I can put here or post it here yourself. 5. YMMV, IMHO, yada yada yada :cool:

I'm not posting this to start a p!ssing match, I put it here so I can find it again.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!