New Talon Pre-filter Snorkel

DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X
After 2 full ride days in Arkansas I noticed no difference in performance. I don't think the normal recreational rider will be able to notice any change. The 3" tube is short and the filter has more open area than a standard engine air filter. If i ever got the chance, I'd like to run the setup on the PPEI dyno for some real numbers. Slowpoke has run the R2C filter for racing with a similar tube setup.

My goal with this product is to provide average UTV owners with something easy to install that solves this Talon air intake problem. Many people have made a homemade version of this but I'm making an "off the shelf" system so that others don't have to figure out how to build this intake. It's a "buy now" solution! Install is simple. Cut a fender hole with provided template, drill 2 new additional holes for cover plate push rivets and slide the one piece tube in place. If anyone ever wanted to go back to stock, I could provide a blank cover plate to close the hole.
When I designed one for my previous SXS (not a Honda) I never got past the prototype stage. I had it on my car and ran it a few times. I finally figured out the problem while out on a ride... you know, the last ride of the weekend. I knew exactly how I was going to fix it....then I rolled my car off a 15 ft cliff and totaled it. End of Project. I replaced it with a Honda.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I think you're doing a great job. I am looking forward to seeing and probably purchasing the final product. Any idea when? And as another stated, if you could pull dyno numbers, that would be awesome. I really like this product.
Well, thank you for that! I'm enjoying doing this.

I have two tubes ready waiting on two sample cover plates to come in from the fab shop. Not sure when those will be ready but the shop is only a few miles from my house. Once I get the cover plates, I can weld them to the tubes. Both of those are slated for local friends to run and test more since I can get input quickly from them. I'm shooting for January availability, if only in limited quantities. I'm working with a US company to bend the tubes for me, but it sounds like they source from China. And I'm communicating directly with China manufacturer for the bent tubes. Sucks, but US manufacturing is not that easy to source. If my local shop had a CNC bender I'd let them do it. They treat me really well! If these sell REALLY well, then I'd look into plastic molding the entire assembly. Plastic is expensive to get started but cheap after the initial investment, which I do not have in my account!

Reactions: Adam490
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
First laser cut and cnc aluminum cover plates are ready for pickup. The local shop does fine work!
0D4A4D89 E2B3 4B2D A2A6 968D7BB9D99D

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This is from the PWRTune website regarding the Talon Air Box and air flow. I read this not long after I bought my Talon in Jan. 2020.

Why not a full airbox or intake system? The stock airbox itself if not at all restrictive with a clean air filter. We have tested several configurations of straight to air filter intake stacks, that reduces power. Running with the airbox lid off or vented is no increase in power and the same performance as the sealed stock airbox.

As long as you have a clean air filter the Talon breathes well. My talon intake pre-filter system takes the PWRtune intake tube to the next level by bringing in cleaner air from OUTSIDE the fender and filtering that air. Cleaning the pre-filter is much quicker than opening the air box and changing or cleaning the primary air filter.

My Talon with pre-filter kit using a Desertcraft filter will be on the PPEI dyno tomorrow morning! I'm anxious to see what happens.

2020Talon

Jul 30, 2021
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I’d be interested in one when they become available. X-4 live valve.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Another discovery was that my talon made 3 more hp than any other stock talon they tested. My opinion is the amsoil engine oil. That’s the only difference of my machine. They said Honda oil was in all the other stock talons.

advertisement
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another discovery was that my talon made 3 more hp than any other stock talon they tested. My opinion is the amsoil engine oil. That’s the only difference of my machine. They said Honda oil was in all the other stock talons.

Want to share what it made for HP and what you have for modifications?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
91hp to the wheels is a very respectable number for a bone stock naturally aspirated UTV engine.

Gaining 3 wheel horsepower by using a different engine oil is HUGE.

Reactions: Adam490
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
91hp to the wheels is a very respectable number for a bone stock naturally aspirated UTV engine.

Gaining 3 wheel horsepower by using a different engine oil is HUGE.
Oil will not give you ~3% gain in power.

SAE calls for correction factors to mimic 60 degrees, minimal humidity at sea level and these correction factors are just a good guess at best and comparing dyno pulls taken on different days is somewhat meaningless because the correction factors are not very accurate. Unless these dyno comparisons were done at near the same air temp, humidity and barometric pressures. you are comparing apples to oranges, even with correction factors. There is no way to get the correction factors spot on but when the runs are similar (like within hours of each other under similar weather conditions), you can be fairly close. On dyno runs that are weeks or months apart, the best than can be hoped for is 2 or 3% accuracy. There is your 3HP difference right there. Have them run all the machines on the same day at the heat of the day and see what happens. I am pretty certain you will see the machines are all about equal.

For example, my stock LS motor at 4500 feet reads 328 RWHP (corrected) on a 90 degree summer day and 335 RWHP (corrected) on a 31 degree day in the winter. That is about a 2% difference. The correction factors are nothing more than a good guess.

Another factor is age. A more (and properly) broken in motor can create more power than a newer (or severely worn out) motor. Were they testing new machines and yours has several thousand miles?

There are just too many other factors to say your oil is giving you 3 HP. Only way to tell is make 3 runs with Dino oil, change and within an hour of the first runs make 3 runs with Amsoil. The outcome will surprise you.

Reactions: Dano111
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oil will not give you ~3% gain in power.

SAE calls for correction factors to mimic 60 degrees, minimal humidity at sea level and these correction factors are just a good guess at best and comparing dyno pulls taken on different days is somewhat meaningless because the correction factors are not very accurate. Unless these dyno comparisons were done at near the same air temp, humidity and barometric pressures. you are comparing apples to oranges, even with correction factors. There is no way to get the correction factors spot on but when the runs are similar (like within hours of each other under similar weather conditions), you can be fairly close. On dyno runs that are weeks or months apart, the best than can be hoped for is 2 or 3% accuracy. There is your 3HP difference right there. Have them run all the machines on the same day at the heat of the day and see what happens. I am pretty certain you will see the machines are all about equal.

For example, my stock LS motor at 4500 feet reads 328 RWHP (corrected) on a 90 degree summer day and 335 RWHP (corrected) on a 31 degree day in the winter. That is about a 2% difference. The correction factors are nothing more than a good guess.

Another factor is age. A more (and properly) broken in motor can create more power than a newer (or severely worn out) motor. Were they testing new machines and yours has several thousand miles?

There are just too many other factors to say your oil is giving you 3 HP. Only way to tell is make 3 runs with Dino oil, change and within an hour of the first runs make 3 runs with Amsoil. The outcome will surprise you.

Nobody ever said it was definitely because of the oil, it's just a theory @highpocket74 came up with based on the fact that oil was the only difference between the tested machines.

I'll also venture to guess that PPEI has dyno tested multiple stock Talons on many different air quality/temp days to come up with that 88hp average and isn't just talking out of their ass like you want to believe. Keep an eye on their FB page, they plan on dropping a whole bunch of SxS performance tunes and products by the end of the year, including stuff for the Talon. These guys are serious about performance and I'm willing to bet that the products they put out are going to be at the top of the game. PPEI doesn't fawk around.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
There are a lot of factors in the dyno runs. These guys make many dyno runs so they know what they normally see. We are at about 30 ft above sea level down here and except for cold fronts almost tropical! Temperature down here this morning was almost 80 degrees. I'm simply saying that the dyno tuning guy was very surprised to see 91 hp out of a stock talon. He made 15 pulls with my intake system, pointing out that it took 10 pulls to get the oil temp up with increasing hp, the last 5 pulls basically all the same hp. Then we switched intake back to the stock stack and he made about another 5 pulls, with almost identical hp numbers as my intake.
The big point to remember is that there is no loss of horsepower with a pre-filter.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693 and CID
DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X
That's great news. And I assume you have felt no difference in throttle response?
No dang it, if you can just get that thing made in America.....

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
That's great news. And I assume you have felt no difference in throttle response?
No dang it, if you can just get that thing made in America.....
No discernible difference in throttle.

I’m trying to work with American companies but sometimes they don’t even return emails.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!