New Talon Pre-filter Snorkel

L

LBZDZL

May 31, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Talon R
put me down on the list for one of these when you start producing them! I was going to fab up one myself but yours is so clean. Awesome job!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
put me down on the list for one of these when you start producing them! I was going to fab up one myself but yours is so clean. Awesome job!
Got you down for one. Thanks for the kind words.
This week I'll be ordering parts to build a batch. I may open the webstore up for pre-orders.

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Ordered material to build a batch of 15. Will be about 3 weeks to complete the first ones to ship. Shop aluminum cutting is the critical path.

Planned options to buy as of now:
$165 - Intake tube only shipped, no pre-filter (customer supplies 3" inlet filter of choice)
(working on a cheap filter option)
$246 - Intake tube, R2C filter and filter guard, shipped
$271 - Intake tube, Desertcraft filter and filter guard, 4"X3" insert, shipped

-edit:
Working with Desertcraft on a their filter with a 3" inlet. If we can make this happen it will be the only filter option I sell because I CAN COUNT on them to deliver!

At this time all tubes will be powder coated matte black

-edit:
Another option some might want to explore is a spinning precleaner. In 2020 I experimented with several models of these but found them to be noneffective at low RPMs. At wide open throttle they would work better but still not optimal. One that I tried was the 3" Sy-klone 9000R. These are about $120 each and can run in rain or snow.

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
50 miles in a muddy national forest trail last week and the pre-filter stayed clean. Mudbusters are a must if you don't want mud thrown in your shirt collar!
IMG 9137

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Researched honda part numbers today and found that the inner fender (Part# 80150-HL6-A00) and intake snorkel (Part# 17241-HL6-A00) are the same part number for all talons to date. So i feel pretty confident that my design will work on 2 and 4 seat talons, but will test fit a 4 seat as soon as I can.

D

dahvger

Aug 23, 2021
Granbury Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok gents, finally got one all together and powder coated. These things are not easy to build! The one you see in the pic was made for a 4 seater but fit on a 2 seater. The filter would be about 3” lower with the 2 seater tube.

View attachment 293449

View attachment 293450

I’m not running production on these yet. This 4 seat version is the first one to test fit.
Here’s a list of what’s included:
  • TIG welded 1 piece powder coated aluminum snorkel tube.
  • Tube clamp, mounting bracket and bolt.
  • New 2 piece fender grate replacement to close the opening.
  • R2C pre-filter and water resistant Filter Gard.

This is a bolt on kit. No fender cutting is required. The inner fender does fit back in place also.

Please let me know what you think. These are hand made right now and very labor intensive.

(I don’t know why my pics always come in sideways from my phone!)
I want one, how much?

Dragbikedude

Dragbikedude

Aug 12, 2021
Home
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sign me up for one. I definitely like the look of the shorter intake tube, much cleaner look. I just cleaned my "in the air box" pre-filter yesterday and it probably took close to an hour. First I had to remove the bed extender (maybe for good, anyone want to buy a bed extender, LOL) so I could remove the large Tractor Supply cargo box, it doesn't fit in between the bed extender and the overhead spare tire carrier very easily, I did it once before but I had to first remove most of the contents out of the cargo box (too heavy for me to lift up and over the bed extender while trying to find the right angle) and I had to remove the airbox cover panel first to give a little more room to get the right angle and then while reinstalling the box I found out with the airbox cover panel already installed there was no way the cargo box would go back in inbetween the bed extender and the spare tire carrier so I had re-remove the airbox cover panel. What a pain, and speaking of pain, next time I will wear a bicycle helmet to keep me from banging my head on that spare tire carrier above the bed. And like someone else said, every time you open up that airbox there is potential for something bad to happen. So sign me up for one but depending how long it will take to start producing them I might have to come up with something on my own.
As far as the cover plate goes, do you think 3D printing would work for something like that? I realize you couldn't weld the tube to it but maybe it could be clamped to it or just a snug fit might work, it's not like it's going anywhere, seems like that would work for 99% of us who aren't racing and jumping these things 3' off the ground and that might be a whole lot cheaper. Anyways, great job.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Sign me up for one. I definitely like the look of the shorter intake tube, much cleaner look. I just cleaned my "in the air box" pre-filter yesterday and it probably took close to an hour. First I had to remove the bed extender (maybe for good, anyone want to buy a bed extender, LOL) so I could remove the large Tractor Supply cargo box, it doesn't fit in between the bed extender and the overhead spare tire carrier very easily, I did it once before but I had to first remove most of the contents out of the cargo box (too heavy for me to lift up and over the bed extender while trying to find the right angle) and I had to remove the airbox cover panel first to give a little more room to get the right angle and then while reinstalling the box I found out with the airbox cover panel already installed there was no way the cargo box would go back in inbetween the bed extender and the spare tire carrier so I had re-remove the airbox cover panel. What a pain, and speaking of pain, next time I will wear a bicycle helmet to keep me from banging my head on that spare tire carrier above the bed. And like someone else said, every time you open up that airbox there is potential for something bad to happen. So sign me up for one but depending how long it will take to start producing them I might have to come up with something on my own.
As far as the cover plate goes, do you think 3D printing would work for something like that? I realize you couldn't weld the tube to it but maybe it could be clamped to it or just a snug fit might work, it's not like it's going anywhere, seems like that would work for 99% of us who aren't racing and jumping these things 3' off the ground and that might be a whole lot cheaper. Anyways, great job.
Got you down for one on the growing list.

The week of jan 10th or 17th I should have aluminum plate cut. Depends of the shop schedule.
The the week of Jan 24 I should have coated. So by end of jan begin of feb I should be rolling these out.

The local shop is so good working with my small time orders I can't really complain. They do exceptional quality work, give me great prices with low or no minimum order, and are only a few miles from my house. That's worth a lot.

As for building them, I've built jigs to help me fab and the fitting process has been reduced to 3 cuts and 2 welds. This will speed things up and make for accurate repeatability. All this manufacturing stuff is new to me, but I can learn fast. I'm just a cad guy at my day job, solving problems for local petro-chem clients.

If these take off like wildfire then I'd consider consulting a plastics manufacturer to make the exact same tube design. Printing is too slow and I'm not sold on the durability for production items. Besides, these machine have enough plastic on them already!

Dragbikedude

Dragbikedude

Aug 12, 2021
Home
Ownership

1. Talon X
Would you consider selling just the tube and template for the hole? I really think that is all I need for the kind of riding I do.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I would do that for you.

You will have to support the filter end of the pipe with something or it will sag. You can cut the tube where the filter clamped end would fit flush against the plastic and that would be OK.

When I get the tubes they are polished. Not by my choice, that's the only option. Would you want to leave polished? Without the cover plate it won't matter. The cover plate is not polished that's why I have powder coated black. The only tube weld is below the fender so you'll won't see it.

advertisement
Dragbikedude

Dragbikedude

Aug 12, 2021
Home
Ownership

1. Talon X
Cool. polished is fine, sounds like none of it will be seen anyways. Thanks.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Cool. polished is fine, sounds like none of it will be seen anyways. Thanks.
$85 for the tube and template, shipped.
Tubes will be delivered to me by the end of this week. I'll weld one up for you if you are good with the price and I'll send you a paypal invoice when ready. Deal?

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Dragbikedude

Dragbikedude

Aug 12, 2021
Home
Ownership

1. Talon X
Deal. Am I going to need anything else down below to connect it up to the factory tube, maybe a coupler of some kind?
Thanks.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
No coupler needed. The tube fits right into the female connection on air box. I haven’t received my new shipment of tubes as of today. I think I have 1 more piece I can use but I’ll have to look tomorrow. I let you know when it’s ready.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Deal. Am I going to need anything else down below to connect it up to the factory tube, maybe a coupler of some kind?
Thanks.
There's a taillight wire running directly under this marked hole and visible here, don't cut it. Note that this is NOT where 10-80's kit goes through the body.
I CMJfXgJ X2

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
That’s one reason why my tube is different and not simply a 90 bend. I worked from the inside out to penetrate the fender at a specific location. More complicated to fab having to clock a rolling offset but a better location to penetrate.

And that’s why I provide a full size template to cut the penetration hole. Easy!!

4315EE9E EFFB 436C 8B73 05D862CCB1BB

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Latest update:
Shop is cutting aluminum cover plates this week 1-10-22.
Next week 1-17-22 I'll be welding the cover plates onto tubes.
Week of 1-24-22 the assemblies will be powder coated.
Week of 1-31-22 I should have the first wave of kits ready for shipping.

Haven't received a definitive answer from Desertcraft yet on a 3" outlet filter.

I'll have to release the pre-filter kits using R2C only at first.

Currently working a deal with made in the USA Filterwears, Inc. for filter mesh covers with my logo. They have been very helpful so far.

If you have expressed interested and requested to be on my list, then you guys will get first notifications of product availability. Thank you for your support!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!