Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, I am seriously considering a Honda Pioneer 1K5. I am glad to have found this forum as I have been reading pretty much nonstop the last couple of days.

A year ago I had a friend selling his ranger and I opted out of buying it from him because I could not justify (in my mind) that I would use a SXS enough to purchase one. Back then my use for one would have been around the house (and I don’t live on any land), once a month when I set up for local Shooting matches and a few times a year when I attend bigger matches – I would love to use to ride trails but not sure where any are locally.

Well that changed a couple of months ago when I found out there is an ATV park 20 min from my house. I have a 6 year old son and I know he would love to spend time on the weekend riding trails and I see this as something we can do as a family (more importantly my wife see it that way). The wife and I went looking at this past weekend and I believe the Honda 1K5 fits everything we would use it for.

I have to admit the clutch issue that I read about scares me a little bit. I am not familiar enough with UTV’s to understand how much the other UTV’s belt drives slip or need maintenance but that seems like something people can do themselves were the clutch on the Honda seems like a bigger issue ($). How prevalent of an issue is this? Was it experiences on the early production models more than the current?

I will also need to purchase a trailer – any recommendations for what to look for? I think a 12’ will work for me as I will not be hauling anything else except I might put a box on there for equipment.

Reactions: BULLDOG6 and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Welcome to the forum!
Well I will say I think the clutches aren't too big a deal even having problems myself. Being perfectly honest most of the clutch issues I noticed were either earlier on or people not being a little careful. We came from a long line of belts and always hated them with lots of replacements. We have been actually using this 1000 pretty hard much harder then anything we have owned. I still prefer having a real transmission, it's nice to be able to choose gearing have engine braking and the ability to drive quietly. You mainly have to be a little cautious pulling hard in reverse but most will not see a problem for a long time. Just like a belt it's the weak link but much less of a problem then belts. I absolutely can change clutches in our 1000 quicker the the belt in our Polaris (yes we still have one and can't wait for it gone!)
Very nice rig I know most really enjoy it including myself. I think you'd be happy.
A 12ft trailer would be perfect. Lots of room for tie down.

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, I am seriously considering a Honda Pioneer 1K5. I am glad to have found this forum as I have been reading pretty much nonstop the last couple of days.

A year ago I had a friend selling his ranger and I opted out of buying it from him because I could not justify (in my mind) that I would use a SXS enough to purchase one. Back then my use for one would have been around the house (and I don’t live on any land), once a month when I set up for local Shooting matches and a few times a year when I attend bigger matches – I would love to use to ride trails but not sure where any are locally.

Well that changed a couple of months ago when I found out there is an ATV park 20 min from my house. I have a 6 year old son and I know he would love to spend time on the weekend riding trails and I see this as something we can do as a family (more importantly my wife see it that way). The wife and I went looking at this past weekend and I believe the Honda 1K5 fits everything we would use it for.

I have to admit the clutch issue that I read about scares me a little bit. I am not familiar enough with UTV’s to understand how much the other UTV’s belt drives slip or need maintenance but that seems like something people can do themselves were the clutch on the Honda seems like a bigger issue ($). How prevalent of an issue is this? Was it experiences on the early production models more than the current?

I will also need to purchase a trailer – any recommendations for what to look for? I think a 12’ will work for me as I will not be hauling anything else except I might put a box on there for equipment.
Check out riderplanet-USA.com then click on your state or near by states they will have plenty of offroad parks to choose from. Also the 12ft trailer will be plenty, although I prefer tandem trailers by far. Good luck and welcome from Nashville.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Side note just so you know it's best to snorkel this rig there are many cheap and cool ways people have come up with. It is a front intake vehicle and best to treat it as such. A definite must in my eyes.
In the heat of the summer it can get a little hot being an seat over engine vehicle like many are so talk to @Bayouownbeer and get a insulator for really reasonable.
Now you know all the problems keep in mind they are very minimal especially depending on driving style. It doesn't catch fire or do anything weird like some. It doesn't fall apart nor get worse with miles. When it's first purchased it's a little jerky till you get use to it a bit but it smooths out very nicely! Much better then being smooth at first and then falling apart like many others. It gets very smooth and is an absolute joy to drive after about 600 clicks on it. Very impressive rig! We have had a few Pioneers and do consider myself to be very hard on things so that's who I am. Again I wouldn't go back!

Reactions: ghost and sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone.
sharp - I will diffently check out riderplanet-USA.com. I went to the one location I found (Rush Springs in MO) and the lady there told me that there were lots of options within an hour and a half for the area - I know as I get out and meet people riding I will learn about other places.

CumminsPusher - reading the last couple of days I have already taken note of both the snorkel and fix for the heat. I will purchase one soon - I know that Oct is busy month for me so probably wait until Nov when I have time to actually use it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks everyone.
sharp - I will diffently check out riderplanet-USA.com. I went to the one location I found (Rush Springs in MO) and the lady there told me that there were lots of options within an hour and a half for the area - I know as I get out and meet people riding I will learn about other places.

CumminsPusher - reading the last couple of days I have already taken note of both the snorkel and fix for the heat. I will purchase one soon - I know that Oct is busy month for me so probably wait until Nov when I have time to actually use it.

Well I didn't want to scare you away from the rig because it really is incredible but I wanted to make sure you were aware of any problems and not sugar coat anything. I am brand specific but it's not without reason I I promise. Just wanted to be honest with you and help your decision correctly. I think you'll be more then happy! You're in very good company here hope you call it home soon! Please snorkel! And then enjoy the ride.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone.

Riderplanet is a good resource. Being from NW Arkansas, you have some great riding right there close by. Mill Creek is a popular trail and there is a lot of riding around there and Mulberry Mountain. I rode part of Mill Creek on Labor Day weekend and plan on getting up there again when I have more time to ride.

Reactions: dotman1 and sharp
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
12' trailer is definitely adequate, but might want to consider 14' or 16'. Pulls better, easier to back up, more room to pack other stuff (maybe even an atv). Just my opinion.

The clutch issues are few and far between from what I have seen, and I think will be experienced more often by those running large mud tires. I would buy another if I was in the market.

Waylan

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Welcome to paradise . i got one of the first ones in my state of Utah last October. today i have 2200 miles on it and zero problems. 23-27 mpg on fuel mileage. it gets hot when you have a full windshield in place, nowhere for the heat to go but UP. i use the half windshield in summer and the wind blows the heated air out and under so you can choose the way you like it. winter i ride with the glass and need the heat. Enjoy your ride when you decide. Make some good family memories

0723161912b

advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement. I am also not afraid to work on things my first vehicle was a 1977 CJ5 that my dad used to joke was the only Brand new 1977 CJ5 in the country because I replaced just about everything on it (except the engine as that 304 was awesome)

So if I am understand correctly pretty much if you are going to be going below 20mph - keep it in low and only use high if you are going above 20mph. I have been making my list of things I need to do right away like the heat shield and snorkeling.

went looking at trailers yesterday and finding the best place to buy. I am not afraid to drive if the deal is right and Abernathy's is just 6 hours away if the local guys will not come down. Question - I am assuming the warranty goes with you and the local dealers honor it correct?

Thanks again

Reactions: JTW and dotman1
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement. I am also not afraid to work on things my first vehicle was a 1977 CJ5 that my dad used to joke was the only Brand new 1977 CJ5 in the country because I replaced just about everything on it (except the engine as that 304 was awesome)

So if I am understand correctly pretty much if you are going to be going below 20mph - keep it in low and only use high if you are going above 20mph. I have been making my list of things I need to do right away like the heat shield and snorkeling.

went looking at trailers yesterday and finding the best place to buy. I am not afraid to drive if the deal is right and Abernathy's is just 6 hours away if the local guys will not come down. Question - I am assuming the warranty goes with you and the local dealers honor it correct?

Thanks again
I ONLY USE LOW IF I AM TOWING OR IN TIGHT TECHNICAL TERRAIN. 99% OF MY DRIVING IS IN HIGH. GREAT MACHINE.Once you get it you will find the gears that work best for you. get some seat time and enjoy it.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The warranty stays with the rig, and any Honda dealer will honor it

Reactions: CumminsPusher
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sharp is correct - warranty goes with machine. If your local dealer is within a reasonable amount of Abernathy (or other), you might want to consider them. Even though warranty goes with the machine, your local dealer will always take care of customers that purchased a machine there before they will take care of someone that shopped. They WILL take care of you, but you won't be as high of a priority. I got my local dealer to within $250 of one of the cheaper dealerships so I stuck with local.

As far as which range to use, some guys push hard to stay in low if you are below a certain speed. I'm like DTAGG though; I never put it in low range unless the terrain is real technical or I am pulling something heavy. It doesn't hurt the machine to stay in high range at 5mph all day long. I climb hills in high, and I love to let it shift out at a lower speed so I can really take advantage of easy cruising at a low rpm - which is really one of the big advantages of the geared transmission in the Honda. If I wanted to be in low range and high rpm all the time, I could have just got a belt drive machine.

Just my thoughts - others' opinions may differ.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree with DTAGG.People want to put a speed on low/high and that's not the case. I hate hearing that number because everyone drives different that number does change with terrain and driving style. If you feel the vehicle "shuttering" your r's are to low or the vehicle is struggling and that's the sound of your clutches slipping and getting hot, so go low range or faster. You can run at low speeds in high if not doing anything tough but keep r's up a little. Drive it and you'll get the feel. Watch reverse that's what is killing them! Reverse is high gear. 90% of the failures I've seen after you talk with someone is reverse and the were either pulling or getting out of something bad. Sometimes you need to really get on it to get them to lock up so they're not slipping in reverse but not for normal stuff. Again most won't have a problem and if you're mechanically inclined it's 300$ and maybe a couple hours so not much more then a belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: drfubar and sharp
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

Thanks again
Ragan,

We live in NWA also and purchased ours recently at Heartland Honda in Springdale. They are good folks to deal with.

Rush Springs is a good area to ride and get used to the machine. They have around a 100 miles of trails with varying degrees of difficulty. The trails are well marked

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ragan,

We live in NWA also and purchased ours recently at Heartland Honda in Springdale. They are good folks to deal with.

Rush Springs is a good area to ride and get used to the machine. They have around a 100 miles of trails with varying degrees of difficulty. The trails are well marked

Tigermark I am in Bella Vista and Rush Springs is exactly 20 min from my house - I plan on taking full advantage of that. Any recommendation on where to look at trailers locally?

I would prefer to buy local and would give every chance for a local dealer to meet price or come really close. I am going to check out Heartland Honda, I went by Rainbow honda this past weekend and did not even think about Springdale having a dealer.

Definitely excited about and thanks again for the input.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Tigermark I am in Bella Vista and Rush Springs is exactly 20 min from my house - I plan on taking full advantage of that. Any recommendation on where to look at trailers locally?

I would prefer to buy local and would give every chance for a local dealer to meet price or come really close. I am going to check out Heartland Honda, I went by Rainbow honda this past weekend and did not even think about Springdale having a dealer.

Definitely excited about and thanks again for the input.
I got my trailer at TNT in Decatur Arkansas. They manufacture there onsite. I really like it. It's not a far drive from Bella Vista. I bought an 18 ft because we have a 1000 and a 500 and they both fit. We life in Gravette not far from you. Give a holler when you get one and we will set up a ride at Rush.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got my trailer at TNT in Decatur Arkansas. They manufacture there onsite. I really like it. It's not a far drive from Bella Vista. I bought an 18 ft because we have a 1000 and a 500 and they both fit. We life in Gravette not far from you. Give a holler when you get one and we will set up a ride at Rush.

Thanks for the offer, I will for sure. Just noticed that you are from South LA. I was born in Baton Rouge (moved to VA when I was in 3rd grade) and my moms side of the family is all from Bogalusa. I spent a lot of summers there but don't miss the humidity.

Thanks for the input of the trailer I will check them out as well.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the offer, I will for sure. Just noticed that you are from South LA. I was born in Baton Rouge (moved to VA when I was in 3rd grade) and my moms side of the family is all from Bogalusa. I spent a lot of summers there but don't miss the humidity.

Thanks for the input of the trailer I will check them out as well.
Awesome. Yep, the wife and I were both born and raised in Louisiana. I'm from Crowley and Cathy is from Eunice.

Most of our family still lives there.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!