New truck - 5th wheel or toy haulers

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey all,

Recently picked up a Cummins, Ram 3500. I'm looking to get a 5th wheel or travel trailer that'll tow the Talon X4. Curious if anyone has towed with one yet. My concerns are around the weight distribution, while the talons only 1400-1500lbs, it's probably not wise to place the talon at the very rear of the trailer. I could always get something like a Ramptek where it goes into the bed and over the cab then travel trailer instead. Not sure what my best route would be, any recommendations? Anyone already been here done that and can give me their thoughts? I'd like to travel a bit and ride in different locations when possible.

Tow vehicle: Cummins 3500 high output, super crew 8' bed. 20" wheels, stock suspension with air ride.

Thanks in advance!

7e3a85e0364f99f5013ddade2f9d6743

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Although toy haulers are designed with adding rear weight in mind, a 5th wheel toy hauler is going to be more stable than a tag-along toy hauler. 5th wheels are just inherently more stable, due to the pivot point being (almost) over the rear axle rather than 3-4 feet behind.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Although toy haulers are designed with adding rear weight in mind, a 5th wheel toy hauler is going to be more stable than a tag-along toy hauler. 5th wheels are just inherently more stable, due to the pivot point being (almost) over the rear axle rather than 3-4 feet behind.
Cant agree more with that statement, thats why i have a 5er TH.

What year is that truck?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a Jayco Octane 265. My x4 fits well in it. Since it’s wider than stock I did have to take one bench out and do the roof mod to clear overhead bunk. I’ve pulled it around home with Ram 1500. Long trips I borrow parents F350. Pulls great in my opinion. Tongue weight is pretty heavy empty but talon in rear puts it about right.
5D338F36 C5E0 410A BCCC 73165FAE1650
332D6D90 AF4D 4191 B0EE 0ECE4078192A

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I currently have a Fuel 287 TT TH 38 ft long, that I pull with a F-350 CC 6.7 dually, it is an open floor plan which means no separate garage. My P1K5 fits snug but it fits. There are time when traveling the trailer gets a little squirrely but not that big of a deal. I am also looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel at some point mostly for when traveling with whatever toy I bring with will be in a separate garage. This is sort of important when making longer trips and you want to stop over night somewhere, your toys aren’t in your living room.
Although it has been done, I would NOT put my buggy in the bed/over the cab, way to top heavy for me. Measure your buggy, width/ length/ height and the look at campers, make sure it’s got all the things your family will want/need when you get to your destination. Also make sure your truck can handle what your towing. Good luck.
My current set up
9680DCA5 A900 4A5B B990 8F5B3A3C6FA55F23EAA6 4693 43EF AEF3 172D26C5CEDB9D3A40A0 E85B 4AC7 BDF3 982DD3CAC44A

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all,

Recently picked up a Cummins, Ram 3500. I'm looking to get a 5th wheel or travel trailer that'll tow the Talon X4. Curious if anyone has towed with one yet. My concerns are around the weight distribution, while the talons only 1400-1500lbs, it's probably not wise to place the talon at the very rear of the trailer. I could always get something like a Ramptek where it goes into the bed and over the cab then travel trailer instead. Not sure what my best route would be, any recommendations? Anyone already been here done that and can give me their thoughts? I'd like to travel a bit and ride in different locations when possible.

Tow vehicle: Cummins 3500 high output, super crew 8' bed. 20" wheels, stock suspension with air ride.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 332848

Nice truck I'd go gooseneck but that's me not so big had my eye on this one for a while <b>Living Quarter GN for Side X Side</b> 38' Millennium Platinum Add Mattress and Sleep 6 | Millennium Trailers

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a Jayco Octane 265. My x4 fits well in it. Since it’s wider than stock I did have to take one bench out and do the roof mod to clear overhead bunk. I’ve pulled it around home with Ram 1500. Long trips I borrow parents F350. Pulls great in my opinion. Tongue weight is pretty heavy empty but talon in rear puts it about right.
View attachment 332895View attachment 332896
This is the kind of post I was hoping for! Thank you!

I'm running 32 inch tires on mine, wondering what I'll run into. I have no idea what to even look for right now, every time I do a search it's just anything with a 13-ft garage or larger.

Whilw I will most likely wait until next year to purchase, I'm anxious to buy and having a hard time showing some restraint haha.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I currently have a Fuel 287 TT TH 38 ft long, that I pull with a F-350 CC 6.7 dually, it is an open floor plan which means no separate garage. My P1K5 fits snug but it fits. There are time when traveling the trailer gets a little squirrely but not that big of a deal. I am also looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel at some point mostly for when traveling with whatever toy I bring with will be in a separate garage. This is sort of important when making longer trips and you want to stop over night somewhere, your toys aren’t in your living room.
Although it has been done, I would NOT put my buggy in the bed/over the cab, way to top heavy for me. Measure your buggy, width/ length/ height and the look at campers, make sure it’s got all the things your family will want/need when you get to your destination. Also make sure your truck can handle what your towing. Good luck.
My current set up
View attachment 332909View attachment 332910View attachment 332911
Beautiful setup! I almost pulled the trigger on a dually, however they sold it the night before I got to go see it. I seen all the pros and cons related to dual vs single, while the extra pin weight would be nice from a daily driving standpoint I ended up with a single. Not that I'm going to drive at much as I do work full time from home, but it's just easier or so I'm told. Part of me wishes I went dually though, I'm sure both will do well..

How do you like the fifth wheel so far? Ant issues or complaints?

We are planning on going from Pennsylvania to Florida in July and I'll most likely take the side by side on my 24-ft car trailer...really wish I had a setup like this already as it'd make the trip much better and I'd have my own place to sleep/stay rather than with family.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Beautiful setup! I almost pulled the trigger on a dually, however they sold it the night before I got to go see it. I seen all the pros and cons related to dual vs single, while the extra pin weight would be nice from a daily driving standpoint I ended up with a single. Not that I'm going to drive at much as I do work full time from home, but it's just easier or so I'm told. Part of me wishes I went dually though, I'm sure both will do well..

How do you like the fifth wheel so far? Ant issues or complaints?

We are planning on going from Pennsylvania to Florida in July and I'll most likely take the side by side on my 24-ft car trailer...really wish I had a setup like this already as it'd make the trip much better and I'd have my own place to sleep/stay rather than with family.

Thank you, and I agree about the “my own place to sleep part, I have not done the fifth wheel yet, kinda waiting to see what the market does in the next few months. We have walked through a bunch and eliminated several (this will be our 4th camper) so we have a real good idea on what we want in a camper. We also use our camper as “The hotel” when our grandkids have an event somewhere out of town we get a campground near by and we all can stay in it comfortably. We also use it at home when family shows up for some big event we can put a bunch of people up in the camper, it works out well. My advice would be if this is your first camper, find one your buggy will fit in and you feel will fit the family good and start with something smaller (don’t know how you feel about towing) and learn how you use your camper and things you would want to change and upgrade at a later date if possible. (Unless your an RV pro, then forget that last part.)
Nothing worse than dropping 80-90 K on something you hate.
Good luck.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright that is bad ass!!! Curious what they cost, I'll have to do some research. Man that's wicked looking, pretty descreet!

70k but that one has alot of options, might be able to one down to 55 in a few years when the s*** hits the fan

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey wait, that's a bad thing? 🤔 #singleoleguy :cool:

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thank you, and I agree about the “my own place to sleep part, I have not done the fifth wheel yet, kinda waiting to see what the market does in the next few months. We have walked through a bunch and eliminated several (this will be our 4th camper) so we have a real good idea on what we want in a camper. We also use our camper as “The hotel” when our grandkids have an event somewhere out of town we get a campground near by and we all can stay in it comfortably. We also use it at home when family shows up for some big event we can put a bunch of people up in the camper, it works out well. My advice would be if this is your first camper, find one your buggy will fit in and you feel will fit the family good and start with something smaller (don’t know how you feel about towing) and learn how you use your camper and things you would want to change and upgrade at a later date if possible. (Unless your an RV pro, then forget that last part.)
Nothing worse than dropping 80-90 K on something you hate.
Good luck.
Sorry I said 5th wheeler earlier, meant TT.

You said it gets a little squirrely at times, what kind of hitch are you running? How often does it get loose like that?

This is partially why I want to go 5th wheel, however they tend to be ridiculously expensive compared to the TT. Just would think the 5th would do better towing (could be wrong).

I spent last evening reading and checking prices, I'm anxious to get something even if it's a mid size that'll fit the Talon. More entry level, make sure the family enjoys that before dropping more money on a long term rig. With the price of diesel right now, doubt I'll do many cross country trips.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is partially why I want to go 5th wheel, however they tend to be ridiculously expensive compared to the TT. Just would think the 5th would do better towing (could be wrong).
You’re not wrong.

I spent last evening reading and checking prices, I'm anxious to get something even if it's a mid size that'll fit the Talon. More entry level, make sure the family enjoys that before dropping more money on a long term rig. With the price of diesel right now, doubt I'll do many cross country trips.
Creeping up on the ‘right’ RV is a difficult and expensive process. You will NEVER get your money back trading or selling a used RV, especially if you buy now with prices so inflated.
New units depreciate quickly. My advice is to buy something used, but either know what to look for, or have a friend who does. Batteries and tires are usually in need of replacement even though, visually, they look fine. Delamination is not always obvious to a first time buyer. Leaks, mold and mildew, floor rot, electrical gremlins, the list goes on and on.
Any funds you spend on an RV should be considered gone forever. If you manage to recoup 40% of the purchase price you are lucky indeed.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You’re not wrong.

Creeping up on the ‘right’ RV is a difficult and expensive process. You will NEVER get your money back trading or selling a used RV, especially if you buy now with prices so inflated.
New units depreciate quickly. My advice is to buy something used, but either know what to look for, or have a friend who does. Batteries and tires are usually in need of replacement even though, visually, they look fine. Delamination is not always obvious to a first time buyer. Leaks, mold and mildew, floor rot, electrical gremlins, the list goes on and on.
Any funds you spend on an RV should be considered gone forever. If you manage to recoup 40% of the purchase price you are lucky indeed.
You're 100% right, and I'm sure I'll get beat up on price purchasing now. The truck purchase was a bit inflated too, thankfully I got a great deal on my Ford when I sold it. I'll call it a win, got a much nicer truck with lots of power that should last me.

I'm currently watching YT videos on TTs or 5th wheelers that'll tow a 4 seater. Few good options out there, finding them for a good price is the hard part I'd bet.

Edit: Cactus RV is a good channel for us UTV guys. They load up the sxs and show the inside etc in short videos, nice quick over view.

Last edited:
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Finally took delivery of my gmc 3500hd srw, motorhome is for sale. If it sells we will go to a fifth wheel (no toy hauler) and double tow the talon on the open trailer. Don't know how many of the east coast states allow this but it checks a lot of boxes for us.

Reactions: BWAF and CID
208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I am late to the party on this.

Here is where I have been and where I am now. For what is worth. I have a 2014 3500 Mega. I had a fuel toy hauler bumper pull and My 1000x4 Live with 32s fit. It was a squeeze to get it under the back seats when they were up. I ended up with one up and the other down. Now that you know it fits it was very tight up toward the cage and we ended up raising the cabinets on the passenger side 6 inches due to the Cage hitting the cabinets. Keep in mind also my cage is 6 inches lower then stock at the top bar. So after almost 2 years of that setup I basically had it with top speed being 65 anything over 65 was death grip when a semi passed or you passed a semi. I have a load right sway and equalizer as well as airbags. I tried everything to cure the issue and my buddie had the same issue with his GMC. So after LOTS of looking at 5th wheels and trying to decide if I wanted to give up camping off road or flat bed my truck I decided I am over it. I bought a ramptek and a 33 foot bumper pull. First trip we headed to Moab. 10 hrs of head wind, snow and rain. %100 0 issues with sway and whip. Fuel mileage sucked but when you have a kite on your roof you kinda just get what you get. When in Moab we used the deck to get from random places we didn't want to drive and ones that is was like 50 miles from the RV park we stayed in. So without the camper on the back there is some sway on corners etc. you basically just drive like you have a cabover camper and pay attention and you are fine.

So things to think on if you have not already got a camper. Number 1 reason I went this route is I camp in ALLOT of places there is 0 way I could get a 5th wheel into without flat bedding my truck and I like the truck bed.

Maybe you can make a decision at my expense :)

0417211449a HDR IMG 20220404 221231 302 2 4A76A1B0 2386 4E15 82C1 B301233A7ABE

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!