P1000 Newbie Questions

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan to follow my friend Cummingpusher's advice and have my Honda dealer perform the first service on my P1K5 but for subsequent oil changes I need to know what you guys are using at home to get these things up off the ground where you can work on them. I would also like to know where you are attaching your ratchet straps on the unit for strapping the unit to your trailers for transporting. Thanks for your ideas.

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan to follow my friend Cummingpusher's advice and have my Honda dealer perform the first service on my P1K5 but for subsequent oil changes I need to know what you guys are using at home to get these things up off the ground where you can work on them. I would also like to know where you are attaching your ratchet straps on the unit for strapping the unit to your trailers for transporting. Thanks for your ideas.
The best way to strap down is a tire net. This is very secure and you are not putting any load on the suspension. In the Honda manual, I believe the just tell you to strap it to the front bumper.
Tirenet
The cheapest ramps you are ever going to get:
81hOzc2IGnL SL256
Go to your local Home Depot/lumber store and get 2 off grade 2"x8"x14' boards for a couple bucks each. They usually even cut them for you for free. Each one will make 2 ramps.
33"/27"/21"/2.5"

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I don't lift mine at all to change the fluids, everything is pretty accessible.
I made an oil change guide here:P1000 - Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!
Useful service facts: P1000 - Pioneer 1000 3/5 Usefull Service Facts

When I transport mine I tie it down like this:
TD Front

TD Back

Hope this helps.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
The best way to strap down is a tire net. This is very secure and you are not putting any load on the suspension. In the Honda manual, I believe the just tell you to strap it to the front bumper.
View attachment 16562
The cheapest ramps you are ever going to get:
View attachment 16563
Go to your local Home Depot/lumber store and get 2 off grade 2"x8"x14' boards for a couple bucks each. They usually even cut them for you for free. Each one will make 2 ramps.
33"/27"/21"/2.5"
Where did you get the blue tire straps looks good.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I like to have mine off the ground when servicing.
There are couple places you can hook into the frame for towing but I like those tire nets.
Ramp

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So would a couple of the metal car ramps from autozone make the drain plugs and filters easy to get to for servicing?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So would a couple of the metal car ramps from autozone make the drain plugs and filters easy to get to for servicing?
Absolutely. Do you have a Harbor Frieght close they would be cheaper. Maybe Walmart? But ramps would make it easier just diff lock driving up and no problems. @JACKAL made it easy to follow the steps and follow it to a tee and you'll be good. If you don't bring it in for first scheduled MAKE SURE YOU KEEP RECIEPTS! If you buy from a dealer buy under your name and they keep it for 5 years. Lay lots of rags under the filters when taking out to avoid a big mess

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Absolutely. Do you have a Harbor Frieght close they would be cheaper. Maybe Walmart? But ramps would make it easier just diff lock driving up and no problems. @JACKAL made it easy to follow the steps and follow it to a tee and you'll be good. If you don't bring it in for first scheduled MAKE SURE YOU KEEP RECIEPTS! If you buy from a dealer buy under your name and they keep it for 5 years. Lay lots of rags under the filters when taking out to avoid a big mess
Why diff lock driving up? I plan to take it to a Honda Dealer here in Arkansas that is 67 miles away instead of 235 miles one way where my son purchased it. I'll keep the receipts in our file box should I ever need to verify the first service. I also plan to buy the oil, filters, lubes, gaskets, crush washers, and O rings to have on hand for the next service or should I have to change the oil unexpectedly. Who is the best source for all these items?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Why diff lock driving up? I plan to take it to a Honda Dealer here in Arkansas that is 67 miles away instead of 235 miles one way where my son purchased it. I'll keep the receipts in our file box should I ever need to verify the first service. I also plan to buy the oil, filters, lubes, gaskets, crush washers, and O rings to have on hand for the next service or should I have to change the oil unexpectedly. Who is the best source for all these items?
It won't slip. In two wheel on the steel it may. We are hard core eBay it's always cheaper then local

Reactions: sharp and Jbird
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!