futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
finally test drove Critter.
machine not returning to 2WD from 4WD; have to reverse a bit. adjusting tension on cable at differential no affect.

also found an O ring laying on the frame. DAMNIT!!

thoughts/hints/liquor are welcome...

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
finally test drove Critter.
machine not returning to 2WD from 4WD; have to reverse a bit. adjusting tension on cable at differential no affect.

also found an O ring laying on the frame. DAMNIT!!

thoughts/hints/liquor are welcome...
I may be wrong but if I remember right the front drive shaft has an o ring on the end that goes into the tranny. I bought one of the first lockers so it's been awhile since my install.

Reactions: Morpheus
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Unable to post a pic right now from my phone. Not sure why; getting a different screen when I try . . .

Trying to decide if I should tear it apart again or deal with the consequences of leaving it out. Would I just be dealing with seeping/leaking diff fluid or other issues as well? My best guess is that it came from the drive shaft at the differential. It came out while I was attempting to re-install by myself. It could have fallen off then I guess. Not really sure where it came from.

Also, still hoping to hear from the Locker Crowd if they had issues with the machine returning to 2WD after the install.

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
Unable to post a pic right now from my phone. Not sure why; getting a different screen when I try . . .

Trying to decide if I should tear it apart again or deal with the consequences of leaving it out. Would I just be dealing with seeping/leaking diff fluid or other issues as well? My best guess is that it came from the drive shaft at the differential. It came out while I was attempting to re-install by myself. It could have fallen off then I guess. Not really sure where it came from.

Also, still hoping to hear from the Locker Crowd if they had issues with the machine returning to 2WD after the install.
The o ring I'm talking about I believe is about the size of 3/4 " pipe if I remember correctly. Like I said earlier it's been awhile since I did the install. I'm also fairly positive it went on the end of the shaft that is towards the back of the buggy. If it were mine if pull the shaft and check. I'm not sure why it's there but I am sure it's there for a reason. You may try utube for a video that shows different installs. Good luck let us know what you find. Wish I could be of more help to you.

Reactions: Morpheus and futzin
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
O ring i.d. is 1 1/4"

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Heres an exploded view from partsfish.com Maybe you can see what o-ring it might be from this. Mine has an oring around the cap on the front diff where you add gear oil, although honestly I dont see it on the exploded view. Its roughly 1 1/4" give or take if I remember right.

Screenshot 20200410 164407 Samsung Internet

Reactions: Morpheus and futzin
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Actually I do see it now. I think its labeled #44. It could just be you need to adjust the cable that goes down to the front diff from the 2wd/4wd lever. Maybe its not happy that its been unhooked and hooked back up. Good luck!

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Heres an exploded view from partsfish.com Maybe you can see what o-ring it might be from this. Mine has an oring around the cap on the front diff where you add gear oil, although honestly I dont see it on the exploded view. Its roughly 1 1/4" give or take if I remember right.

View attachment 196182

Thanks! If that O ring is off of the filler cap I'll be a happy happy guy. I'll check tomorrow.

Actually I do see it now. I think its labeled #44. It could just be you need to adjust the cable that goes down to the front diff from the 2wd/4wd lever. Maybe its not happy that its been unhooked and hooked back up. Good luck!

The cable, nut and spring look good and operate as intended. Adjusting it hasn't helped the 4WD to release. My plan for that is to ride, ride and see if it gets friendlier.

Appreciate the time and posts! Helpful . . . 👍

Reactions: Bastardchild
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks! If that O ring is off of the filler cap I'll be a happy happy guy. I'll check tomorrow.

The cable, nut and spring look good and operate as intended. Adjusting it hasn't helped the 4WD to release. My plan for that is to ride, ride and see if it gets friendlier.

Appreciate the time and posts! Helpful . . . 👍
Mine has done that from the start, even before the locker install. Nothing to worry about. Just drive it!

advertisement
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Mine has done that from the start, even before the locker install. Nothing to worry about. Just drive it!

Thanks. Mine shifted between 2 and 4 really well before this install. Hopefully wringing it out a bit will help.

Reactions: Bastardchild
B

BC40

Jan 1, 2019
BC
Ownership

1. 500
If your driveshaft separated off the front diff it might have fallen off of there. The frt diff pinion gear stub has an oring. It looks like its just to keep water and grime off the greased splines.IMG 2087IMG 2088

Mine is still apart waiting on the postal system to deliver my locker springs. So if any more pics needed let me know.

As for shifting out of 4wd it could be there is a bind between the frt and rear. Happens on 4x4 trucks too if you try to shift out of 4wd after turning or on higher traction surfaces. Try reversing a short distance. You do have a set of matching diameter tires right?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
If your driveshaft separated off the front diff it might have fallen off of there. The frt diff pinion gear stub has an oring. It looks like its just to keep water and grime off the greased splines.View attachment 196258View attachment 196259

Mine is still apart waiting on the postal system to deliver my locker springs. So if any more pics needed let me know.

As for shifting out of 4wd it could be there is a bind between the frt and rear. Happens on 4x4 trucks too if you try to shift out of 4wd after turning or on higher traction surfaces. Try reversing a short distance. You do have a set of matching diameter tires right?

Thanks for the help! That O ring looks smaller than what I have. However, regarding the matching tires comment, I DID have 24s on the front and 27s on the rear at the time. Didn't occur to me that this could affect the switching. I can probably retest today with both 24s and the new 27s.

Thanks again for the help. I hope you get your springs soon!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Same size tires sounds like the right fix. I keep a OEM 24 spare tire, but with my 27s, I would only use it on the front in 2wd. Like @BC40 said, backing in reverse has been needed on a truck and a Polaris 4wd atv.

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Closing the book (I think) on the torq locker install. Haven't trail tested it yet, but everything seems good to go. Took a spin around the yard and down the street on all 24s, shifted out of 4WD much much better. Should be better yet on the trail. Also did a run down the street on the new 27s, but forgot to test 4WD with them. Damn, this is a pretty machine on 27s!

For some reason, can't post pics with my phone like I've been doing. Not much fun without pics . . .

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Huge thank you to Bastardchild! The O-ring was indeed off of the filler cap. I'm an idiot, but a lucky idiot this time.
Youre welcome buddy! Im glad you didnt have to tear everything back apart, that woulda sucked.

Reactions: Morpheus

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!