KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Finally have time in my schedule next week to install my Torq Locker. I am NOT a mechanical person, at all, zero mechanic experience or abilities. Basically I have never turned a wrench before. I am scared to death, I am going to screw this thing up. So bearing that in mind, give me your best advice for someone like me and anything that made the install go smoothly.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I'm more than willing to help ya mess it up, if I'm down there! But since I've already offered, perhaps you thought better of it! :) Though I think I returned the long small punch, figuring I'd never need it again . . . figures. Go ahead and buy the diff fluid.

Read up, print out, watch vids, make notes.

Last edited:
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
You're up first man haha - make sure you post how everything went once you get it installed. I posted another thread regarding the same concerns:

I'm picking up my 520 tomorrow, so I'll be a few weeks behind you on the install, but should have some more feedback when I get mine done. Good luck and keep us posted!

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
You're up first man haha - make sure you post how everything went once you get it installed. I posted another thread regarding the same concerns:

I'm picking up my 520 tomorrow, so I'll be a few weeks behind you on the install, but should have some more feedback when I get mine done. Good luck and keep us posted!

Congrats on the 520, a red one was my top choice! I ended up with a Brown 500 that I am extremely happy with due to the wait on the 520s.

I will be taking notes and pictures as I go, that is the only way I will be able to get it back together once I disassemble everything. Plus I am sure I will need them to troubleshoot as I mess things up. I have EPS installed on my 500 but I did not do the install on it.. I will be doing the locker solo unless I change my mind and drop it at our local Honda dealer for install. Which is entirely possible given how complex it appears.

Last edited:
Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
The install is not too difficult, it might help if you have a friend.
If you do search in the box at the top of this page you will find several posts.
Also if you search on youtube for torq locker install honda pioneer 500 there are several videos
Good luck

Appalachian Mountain Riders has a pretty good video of the install. It can be found on youtube and I'm sure it's on here somewhere as well. It really doesn't look too bad. My advice would be about the same as what has been given already. Just take your time and take pictures of how things look before and after removal for reference during re-assembly if that would help you. You can do it!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Finally have time in my schedule next week to install my Torq Locker. I am NOT a mechanical person, at all, zero mechanic experience or abilities. Basically I have never turned a wrench before. I am scared to death, I am going to screw this thing up. So bearing that in mind, give me your best advice for someone like me and anything that made the install go smoothly.

If you get to a spot you don't understand or can't figure out through the instructions just stop and ask the question here, we'll walk you through it. As stated above, take pics beforehand. The video helps but doesn't hit on some of the finer points that I had trouble with. Once you do it though, you'll be proud of yourself that you were able to do it. 👍

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

Here are my notes.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

Here are my notes.
I printed the install manual, your notes and watched the videos linked in them. Great job on those. Thanks!

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Pull, don’t twist the 4wd sensor wire.
1523188E 3092 4569 BFA1 BF7AC40DDE45
64CA4052 C9A7 41A0 A042 B8A0BCAAD32B

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Its not too hard buddy. You can avoid taking tons of stuff apart also. If I recall I pulled the nose of mine square up under the rafter in my shop and jacked up the front end to get it off the ground. Then I took the front tires off and unbolted the top bolt out of the shocks, and the bottom a-arm bolts and just ratchet strapped the a-arms/knuckles/hubs/brakes up to the rafters and out of the way. Kinda like a bird raising its wings up. The c.v. axles will pull out of the diff and swing up and out of the way with the hubs and stuff with the ratchet straps. Then you got your 4wd actuator to unhook, some diff bolts, and slide the drive shaft out of the splined connection back in front of the engine. It seems intimidating because you think you have to take every little part off of the front of the machine, but you dont. Once you get the diff out and set it on your bench to split it, thats the easy part. There is a few members here that have vids on YouTube of the internals of the diff. You got this man. 🍻

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Well the people that is saying it’s easy clearly have some mechanic skills. With that said it’s a pretty tough job but that’s coming from me a guy with no mechanic skills to speak of. When I tore into it, I was like what in the f*** did I get myself into. I would drink a claw and look at it and I would drink another one and look at it more and the more I drank I could just feel my confidence growing or maybe it was something else growing cause I did see one of @Todd627 ACV pics at the time 🤣🤣. When I got it all back together it worked to my surprise. If I can do it anyone can that’s for sure. So if you decide to do it yourself just take your time and drop a few cuss words like I did and you will be fine I hope 🤣🤣

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Its not too hard buddy. You can avoid taking tons of stuff apart also. If I recall I pulled the nose of mine square up under the rafter in my shop and jacked up the front end to get it off the ground. Then I took the front tires off and unbolted the top bolt out of the shocks, and the bottom a-arm bolts and just ratchet strapped the a-arms/knuckles/hubs/brakes up to the rafters and out of the way. Kinda like a bird raising its wings up. The c.v. axles will pull out of the diff and swing up and out of the way with the hubs and stuff with the ratchet straps. Then you got your 4wd actuator to unhook, some diff bolts, and slide the drive shaft out of the splined connection back in front of the engine. It seems intimidating because you think you have to take every little part off of the front of the machine, but you dont. Once you get the diff out and set it on your bench to split it, thats the easy part. There is a few members here that have vids on YouTube of the internals of the diff. You got this man. 🍻
The nose? That is the front in correct? .. Just joking. I do know that much. But the rest is jibberish. Watching YouTube and doing heavy research to figure out if I have lost my dang mind trying to do this.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Well the people that is saying it’s easy clearly have some mechanic skills. With that said it’s a pretty tough job but that’s coming from me a guy with no mechanic skills to speak of. When I tore into it, I was like what in the f*** did I get myself into. I would drink a claw and look at it and I would drink another one and look at it more and the more I drank I could just feel my confidence growing or maybe it was something else growing cause I did see one of @Todd627 ACV pics at the time 🤣🤣. When I got it all back together it worked to my surprise. If I can do it anyone can that’s for sure. So if you decide to do it yourself just take your time and drop a few cuss words like I did and you will be fine I hope 🤣🤣
Thanks for sharing! That seriously gives me hope.. and So what your saving is make sure “liquid courage” is on the tool list.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Thanks for sharing! That seriously gives me hope.. and So what your saving is make sure “liquid courage” is on the tool list.
Yep definitely have that and don’t underestimate how heavy that little b!tch of a differential is. I had more trouble putting it back in than getting it out. No homo 🤣🤣

#NTC

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Take a deep breath, Take your time, take lots of pictures (to help you remember where things go), and when you're done take pride in what You've accomplished. And if you need help reach out.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
The install is not too difficult, it might help if you have a friend.
If you do search in the box at the top of this page you will find several posts.
Also if you search on youtube for torq locker install honda pioneer 500 there are several videos
Good luck
Difficult for some -- Easy for others.
Working in Automotive Machine Shop ( seen many expensive errors ) made when Mind Altering Beverages were being consumed
while working mechanical projects.
Prefer to & relax After Done & enjoy a beverage.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Looks like Wednesday this week is my day to do it. I will let you know how it works out... or doesn't.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!