Talon Noise concern in 4wd

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
The two times I was out riding I noticed a strong growling type noise emitting from the front gear when I engage the 4wd. It occurs when I'm going down hill with the throttle backed off and the noise is much softer when I'm on a flat plane. In addition I can even feel a vibration when the growling noise is most audible. I first noticed this when I was on a dry gravel road going down a slight decline and about ready to cross a creek that was muddy on both sides. When I was in the slippery mud and water the noise was not noticeable to me.

So has anyone else noticed this issue? I have all the other gear noises that has been mentioned but nothing has been said about 4wd noise. What I hope it is normal on dry land due to the front wheels turning at a different ratio as the rear wheels similar to some 4wd trucks. I'm just trying to determine if I have a mechanical issue or not,,,I have 3 years of warranty so the deal is covered. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I too have noticed the slight growling/ different feeling when going into 4 wheel drive. I most drive in 2wd so there is an audible/physical feeling when in 4.. I'm wondering too if it just normal.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have an X and a Pioneer LE, I do notice a slight growl/ gear noise or feel in the machine when in I4WD.. not sure if this is just me or not.
Have you done the first service on the machine? Both the differentials should be drained and refilled on this service interval. Both my machines have gotten quieter over time.
You could get the machine off the ground and go over the drivetrain and see if you see or hear anything. Just remimber the suspension will be dropped. You may have to put it on 4 jack stands so it's at ride height.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
It might be the Hill Start Assist (HSA), Brake Traction Control System (BTCS used by the I-4WD system) or the Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD a.k.a anti-lock brakes). These all involve an "anti-lock" type brake system with a motor that applies brake pressure electronically (yes, our Talons have a form of Electronic ABS and Traction Control).

in I-4WD, the front diff uses wheel speed sensors along with a form of traction control processing and uses an anti-lock brake motor to apply brakes to a slipping wheel and force traction to the wheel that is not slipping. When the BTCS is activated, you hear a growl/vibration (like a car when anti-lock or traction control kicks in). It can kick in any time a front wheel is slipping, I have heard mine on some slippery wet rocks. It is very distinct and you will recognize it right away if you have heard it in a car before.

If that is the noise you are hearing and it occurs when a wheel is not slipping then you may have a malfunction.

Reactions: CID
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the X and I do not hear any or feel a difference between 2 & 4 wheel drive.
But my hearing is bad. A friend went with me today for a ride, he was driving. When he put it in 4WD, he said he could hear a noise. So it was loud enough for him to hear but not me.
The way you are describing yours, it could something to check out....DRK

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
It might be the Hill Start Assist (HSA), Brake Traction Control System (BTCS used by the I-4WD system) or the Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD a.k.a anti-lock brakes). These all involve an "anti-lock" type brake system with a motor that applies brake pressure electronically (yes, our Talons have a form of Electronic ABS and Traction Control).

in I-4WD, the front diff uses wheel speed sensors along with a form of traction control processing and uses an anti-lock brake motor to apply brakes to a slipping wheel and force traction to the wheel that is not slipping. When the BTCS is activated, you hear a growl/vibration (like a car when anti-lock or traction control kicks in). It can kick in any time a front wheel is slipping, I have heard mine on some slippery wet rocks. It is very distinct and you will recognize it right away if you have heard it in a car before.

If that is the noise you are hearing and it occurs when a wheel is not slipping then you may have a malfunction.

Your description of the growl/vibration is better than I described it. I discovered this when I went down a decline and engage the i4d preparing to cross a creek with a soft muddy bank on each side. I was moving when I engaged and driving on a completely dry gravel road. When I entered the creek the noise was not present as I went threw it and out the other side. After that event I got to checking when the noise is present and not present. Going up a hill on dry ground there is no noise at all and there was no sound even indicating that I was in 4wd when I engaged in 4wd. But when in a decline on a dry road I get that the growl/vibration,,it sounds aughful. BTW I have done the 100 mile service on the front and rear gear boxes. they are running Amzoil gear lube, I figured that is the best I could use.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
You might try making the tire air pressure adjustment to give all 4 tires the same rolling radius when machine is loaded up ready to go. Measure from a concrete or asphaly floor up to rim edge or exact center of axle.

WB

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
You might try making the tire air pressure adjustment to give all 4 tires the same rolling radius when machine is loaded up ready to go. Measure from a concrete or asphaly floor up to rim edge or exact center of axle.

WB
I think I get what your saying,,,, both tires need to travel the same distance other wize they would be working against each other, good suggestion I will ck that out.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know this is an older thread. What has happened with you that reported excessive noise any changes or findings?
My machine is making a huge amount of noise when in 4wheel. Makes noise all the time and really embarrassing loud on decel. This machine did not do this when new. I was able to hear a slight noise when new but not even close to the noise it makes now. It is so loud that when I let a RZR owner drive it he did not seem to be to interested in getting one after hearing it. He was ready to buy before the test drive.

The other thing I notice is after Idrive switched off it takes a long time for it to disengage, both the sound and the dash indicator.
Just had left seal replaced in front drive unit. Was making noise before, no change after.

N

Nolanbrooks83

Mar 20, 2021
Leland Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know this is an older thread. What has happened with you that reported excessive noise any changes or findings?
My machine is making a huge amount of noise when in 4wheel. Makes noise all the time and really embarrassing loud on decel. This machine did not do this when new. I was able to hear a slight noise when new but not even close to the noise it makes now. It is so loud that when I let a RZR owner drive it he did not seem to be to interested in getting one after hearing it. He was ready to buy before the test drive.

The other thing I notice is after Idrive switched off it takes a long time for it to disengage, both the sound and the dash indicator.
Just had left seal replaced in front drive unit. Was making noise before, no change after.
What have you discovered on the issue with noise in the front in while in 4wd? My 16 model 1000 pioneer is doing the same thing.

Reactions: TripleB
H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The dealer after much hassle with the young service manager and finally getting the business owner involved replaced my complete front drive off a new machine. They did several component sways with no results. The different front drive results were a little less noisy. Just living with it and only switch 4 wheel on when needed which is not a lot of the time. I changed lube to Redline shock proof and inflated tires to numbers that were supposed to make the different gear ratios front to back more equal and it is still noisy. Seems to be the design of the front drive and the nature of the beast. Some may say they do not hear it. i still have pretty good hearing and wear ear plugs even after being around airplanes and jet engines.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I clearly hear the whine/growl in my R (through my foam ear plugs and helmet) when in i4wd but it's only a whine, there's no associated vibration. When shifting back to 2wd, it frequently hangs in 4wd until I blip the throttle - that will unload the driveline and allow it to drop out of 4wd. That's a bit contrary since the 4wd is engaged with a clutch of some sort, I wouldn't think the driveline would have to be unloaded for it to drop out of 4wd. The whine seems to be the cut profile of the gears, nature of the beast - but a vibration isn't normal IMO.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
Since I made the first post I still get the noise, it is no more or no less. I have been riding several times on sand dunes and run it in 4wd all the time and all is well. I have 3K on the motor as of now and I have been using synthetic gear lube all the time. I only use it when I need it. The first thousand miles or so I could hear a lot of gear whinning all the time but over time that has gone away. I put shock proof in the sub trans and that was a positive step but that stuff is sure pricy so it is a good think it does not need to be changed often.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Some whine/growl is to be expected, with the Talon at least. There is a 1 tooth difference Front to Rear and Honda cheaped out on the front diff manufacturing. The front gears are straight bevel, drop forged with no post heat treat machining vs the rear gears that are spiral bevel cut and ground post heat treat. I had my front diff out and apart a couple times and set the backlash a little better than the factory did but it still whines. I filled it with Redline shock proof and aired the fronts up just a little more than the rear to offset the different ratios, no noise now.

Reactions: CID
C

cheapshot20

Sep 25, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread. But I am having a major issue with the front end while in i4WD in my Pionner-1000SE. It has a very audible clicking sound while in i4WD. You have to get almost up to 30mph to hear it and its is extremely loud. This has been like this since day 1. The Honda dealer replaced the front differential all together and the sound is still there. Its not much of a growl but more of a loud clicking as if something metal to metal is making contact. Any help is appreciated.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
People that cry about the price of good synthetic oils crack me up........ How much do they think broken parts cost to fix???

Reactions: Smitty335
C

cheapshot20

Sep 25, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
People that cry about the price of good synthetic oils crack me up........ How much do they think broken parts cost to fix???
I’m all about putting the best oil in the differentials. But this noise - not even the best oil could address the issue.

Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m all about putting the best oil in the differentials. But this noise - not even the best oil could address the issue.

But is it an issue if it's not really an issue and just the product of having straight cut front differential gears?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!