1. 1000-3
I uploaded a video. Let me know your thoughts

H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
My front is loud when engaged but I would never describe it as a clicking noise. If the new one stills sounds like the old one you may have to learn to ignore or run it until it breaks. Red line oil and adjusting tire pressure front to rear has not made any difference in noise.

Also take the post above about the u-joints very seriously, this has been a big problem with the Talons.

C

cheapshot20

Sep 25, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My front is loud when engaged but I would never describe it as a clicking noise. If the new one stills sounds like the old one you may have to learn to ignore or run it until it breaks. Red line oil and adjusting tire pressure front to rear has not made any difference in noise.

Also take the post above about the u-joints very seriously, this has been a big problem with the Talons.
Yeah I have seen many post about the u-joints. And that would be the opposite issue of what I am having. Mine clicks super loud while in i4WD. Again I am talking about a Pioneer 1000 SE. The Special Edition is the only one they put i4WD in, hence me coming over to you great folks with Talons. I am told it has a different drive shaft to the rear and it does not have that specific U joint that the Talon has issues with. I haven’t been under the vehicle yet took look under the skid plate since I got it back from the dealer today. I just now hit 300 miles on it. Thanks for the continued feedback.

C

cheapshot20

Sep 25, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You have to upload the video to YouTube and copy the link here.

Here it is. Let me know if you see it. 9 seconds into the video. Let’s hope this is a flaw and not a “feature” from Honda.

Reactions: TripleB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I have seen many post about the u-joints. And that would be the opposite issue of what I am having. Mine clicks super loud while in i4WD. Again I am talking about a Pioneer 1000 SE. The Special Edition is the only one they put i4WD in, hence me coming over to you great folks with Talons. I am told it has a different drive shaft to the rear and it does not have that specific U joint that the Talon has issues with. I haven’t been under the vehicle yet took look under the skid plate since I got it back from the dealer today. I just now hit 300 miles on it. Thanks for the continued feedback.
The LE’s have i4WD. The difference to the SE is the accessories included and color.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Here it is. Let me know if you see it. 9 seconds into the video. Let’s hope this is a flaw and not a “feature” from Honda.
Lol I thought it was a talon. I don't even have a guess now but something is definitely wrong.

C

cheapshot20

Sep 25, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol I thought it was a talon. I don't even have a guess now but something is definitely wrong.
Yeah it spent 3 weeks at the Honda dealer. They called there corporate Honda people. It was quite the ordeal there. The maintenance team their had quite the head scratcher when they swapped the differential (original diff had right under 300 miles - it has been doing it since day one) for a new one and it was still there. Yeah mine happens while in i4WD, unlike the Talon where it happens out of i4WD. My only thought is to get it on jackstands, take the wheels off (for safety), drop the skid plate, and just run it up through the gears while looking at it closely on jack stands. My guess it could be something else since the diff got swapped. Again thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: TripleB
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You said it clicks super loud while in 4wd. In the video it clearly looks like you are in turf mode.

C

cheapshot20

Sep 25, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You said it clicks super loud while in 4wd. In the video it clearly looks like you are in turf mode.
That’s the added attraction. For the first 10 miles of driving the vehicle I could not get from turf, to 2WD, to i4WD. The cables had been mis adjusted from day one. Either from the factor or from the dealer. I got the cable in the rear adjusted and finally got it in to 2WD and then once the vehicle realized it was in 2WD it then would allow me to go into i4WD. However, even after that fix it was still even doing it in all modes until one day I took it down a choppy dirt road and did about 35-40 and it just stopped doing it in turf or 2WD. Now it only does it in i4WD. Sorry for not including this earlier. I didn’t want to muddy the waters with that detail since it’s not doing it anymore in 2WD or Turf.

I wish I was making this up. This has been the worse experience with a Honda I have ever had and I have been buying Hondas since the late 90s. Again thanks for the feedback.

• Sad
Reactions: TripleB and CID
C

cheapshot20

Sep 25, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Gentlemen,

Good news. Honda has addressed my issue. So what happened is from the factory the shaft from the sub trans to the front differential was out of alignment. The shaft has slip rings that allow the shaft to be clocked differently at each side. The shaft was 90 degrees off from where it should be. There are 'A' and 'B' marks on the shaft that line up with each perspective side of the sub trans and differential. After aligning the shaft up where it should have been the noise stopped. The noise was actually the binding of the U-joints at certain RPMs and causing an oscillation. Fortunately, no damage was done to the vehicle. I was told I was 1 of 4 people across the country that got to experience this. I told them I was glad to be a part of the club.... lol.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The two times I was out riding I noticed a strong growling type noise emitting from the front gear when I engage the 4wd. It occurs when I'm going down hill with the throttle backed off and the noise is much softer when I'm on a flat plane. In addition I can even feel a vibration when the growling noise is most audible. I first noticed this when I was on a dry gravel road going down a slight decline and about ready to cross a creek that was muddy on both sides. When I was in the slippery mud and water the noise was not noticeable to me.

So has anyone else noticed this issue? I have all the other gear noises that has been mentioned but nothing has been said about 4wd noise. What I hope it is normal on dry land due to the front wheels turning at a different ratio as the rear wheels similar to some 4wd trucks. I'm just trying to determine if I have a mechanical issue or not,,,I have 3 years of warranty so the deal is covered. Thanks
My 2018 LE with I-4WD started doing it around 9000 miles, finally at 11,000 miles I looked it over really close and found that the U-joint B on front prop shaft where it exits the sub-transmission was worn out, had considerable play and wobbled in the oil seal on subtrans enough to seep oil. Got that fixed replaced shaft and U-joint and it's all quiet again.

So maybe check it out, others with Talons have had notable issues with the U-joints.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!