P700 Noise reduction

P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
What are the best ways folks have found to make these quieter? They're not horribly loud - I'm just seeing if there are any easy ways to reduce noise.

Reactions: DG Rider
P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Will do - did not realize that. Mods can delete thread if desired

Reactions: Remington
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
What are the best ways folks have found to make these quieter? They're not horribly loud - I'm just seeing if there are any easy ways to reduce noise.
To be honest with you.. You just get used to it after some time. I have tried but only seemed to move the sound around a bit. And the more stuff like roof and wind shield the louder they get.
There is a company that makes mufflers called Benz I believe. They are expensive and you lose power.
Sometimes I lay a blanket behind me, and I push it in the spot between the seat where seat belt brackets are.It cuts down on heat,sound and steam stink👍

P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
To be honest with you.. You just get used to it after some time. I have tried but only seemed to move the sound around a bit. And the more stuff like roof and wind shield the louder they get.
There is a company that makes mufflers called Benz I believe. They are expensive and you lose power.
Sometimes I lay a blanket behind me, and I push it in the spot between the seat where seat belt brackets are.It cuts down on heat,sound and steam stink👍
Copy thanks

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The hardtop...or any top for that matter, reflects a lot of sound back to your ears. Pull the top and be amazed at how the character of the machine is transformed. BUT...a roof is part of the reason for a sxs...

If your running a hard top, some sort of sound absorbing material glued to it will help. I never tried that myself, but I did run a cargo net above the cage and stored blankets and jackets up there, which helped. 2 seaters have an advantage here, since the lack of a rear roof doesn't reflect as much. My current 700 is a 2 seater, and Im Running a soft top as well.

On the other side, meaning stopping sound before it gets to the top, some sort of mat under the seat helps a lot. Google @trigger shield to see what I mean...and i think he might be making one for the 700 soon? I have my own homemade version...2, actually.
Heat and sound barrier can be installed under the plastics around the seat as well. All told, I have 3 layers of sound/heat barriers, not including the plastic.
Also, I have pool noodle stuffed in the rubber flap in the gap between the bed and seats, and also stuff a jacket down in there sometimes, which makes a very noticeable difference on my 2p, so i bet it's huge on a 4 seater. De rattle the doors and dump bed as well. I also run a mat in the bed, though that's more to keep stuff from sliding around.

I'd bet I probably have the quietest 700 around, but I've never felt the exhaust was much of that noise. In fact, outside of pure engine noise, the rear diff is the most offensive part of the 700, but there's not much you can do other than run thicker gear oil. I've considered trying to make a sound panel just above the rear diff, but I don't want to keep any heat in, and suspect much of the noise is transferred through the frame, etc.

Last edited:
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
We run a @trigger shield a soft top which helps a lot and depending on how I feel the windshield will come off.
But definitely thick gear oil in the rear end helps as does any sort of barrier between you and resonate noises from the driveline.
Good luck and post pics.

Last edited:
P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
We run a @trigger shield a soft top which helps a lot and depending on how I feel the windshield will come off.
But definitely thick gear oil in the rear end helps as does any sort of barrier between you and resonate noises from the driveline.
Good luck and post pics.
What kind of gear oil are you using in the rear end to help?

I did see a guy did heat wrap around what I assume is an exhaust pipe and he said that helped heat and noise, so I've ordered some of that. I am going to see what I can do about a mat. May try the pool noodle thing mentioned above for starters.

I had read about the exhaust add-on, but looked at some reviews and for the price, I think I'll pass. Also didn't like that you have to have a modified version for higher altitudes that reduces noise muffling effectiveness at low altitudes.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I run Amsoil SAE 250 in both front and rear and have noticed no ill affects thus far.
Be cautious wrapping the exhaust in heat wrap.
The heat if it can't get out has the very real potential to cause splits or cracks in the header pipe.
The heat has to go somewhere if not then the header becomes too hot for too long.
Foil backed foam with adhesive may be a better bet and cover as much as reasonable under the seat and bed area.
Adjust all latches and stops to stop the rattles and definitely check the latch for the bed.
Mine was horrid.
Good luck

Reactions: WagginTail
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of gear oil are you using in the rear end to help?

I did see a guy did heat wrap around what I assume is an exhaust pipe and he said that helped heat and noise, so I've ordered some of that. I am going to see what I can do about a mat. May try the pool noodle thing mentioned above for starters.

I had read about the exhaust add-on, but looked at some reviews and for the price, I think I'll pass. Also didn't like that you have to have a modified version for higher altitudes that reduces noise muffling effectiveness at low altitudes.
I seen somewhere on here where a guy put some Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the diffs with good results. He added 2 oz of this with the regular gear oil. This was on a 1000. Said it reduced noise from the diffs by 50%

P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I seen somewhere on here where a guy put some Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the diffs with good results. He added 2 oz of this with the regular gear oil. This was on a 1000. Said it reduced noise from the diffs by 50%
Thanks, I may give that a go first.

P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I run Amsoil SAE 250 in both front and rear and have noticed no ill affects thus far.
Be cautious wrapping the exhaust in heat wrap.
The heat if it can't get out has the very real potential to cause splits or cracks in the header pipe.
The heat has to go somewhere if not then the header becomes too hot for too long.
Foil backed foam with adhesive may be a better bet and cover as much as reasonable under the seat and bed area.
Adjust all latches and stops to stop the rattles and definitely check the latch for the bed.
Mine was horrid.
Good luck
Thanks. I'd seen stuff about latches but my latches all seem fine. Definitely get noise from windshield but that's about it as far as body noise. Rest is just engine/trans/diff/exhaust.

I'll look into the foil backed foam also. Thank you.

Reactions: Glock21user

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!