P1000 Not firing

J

JTW

It's not voltage.. I have a second battery. And a voltmeter on the stock battery anyway.

This isn't just a wait a second for it to start. There was 15-20 seconds of cranking to get it to hit.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It's not voltage.. I have a second battery. And a voltmeter on the stock battery anyway.

This isn't just a wait a second for it to start. There was 15-20 seconds of cranking to get it to hit.
Have you cleaned your spark arrestor? If could also be the dumb s*** that hooked up your dual battery set up and wired your switch panel:confused:

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

Have you cleaned your spark arrestor? If could also be the dumb s*** that hooked up your dual battery set up and wired your switch panel:confused:
No.. I have less than 300 miles..

It's not the dual battery... I made sure that dumbass kept everything completely separate from stock... it's something with the computer and the fuel mixture or spark.. I'll take a video next time. It acts like a carb machine when it's flooded but other than turning the machine off nothing was touched.

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
No.. I have less than 300 miles..

It's not the dual battery... I made sure that dumbass kept everything completely separate from stock... it's something with the computer and the fuel mixture or spark.. I'll take a video next time. It acts like a carb machine when it's flooded but other than turning the machine off nothing was touched.
LOL, JK about the dual battery setup.
I know what you mean! Mine did the same thing! Thought maybe bad gas, and then i thought maybe valves needed adjusting, but it wasn't the case! Look closely to see if it is smoking from the exhaust...o_O

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

LOL, JK about the dual battery setup.
I know what you mean! Mine did the same thing! Thought maybe bad gas, and then i thought maybe valves needed adjusting, but it wasn't the case! Look closely to see if it is smoking from the exhaust...o_O
I know.. I just hate these kinds of issues.

Reactions: pct
J

Jshell3

If it's any consolation neither my P500 or my P1k5 start right up when you turn the key. They both "work at it".

By contrast, my old carb 350 Rancher is amazing quick, tho.

Reactions: pct
J

Jshell3

I know what you mean about the delay... this isn't that.
Is it possible that your not using the factory program ignition key?

Are you trying to crank it with a backup copy you made at Walmart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Eltobgi
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Valve adjustment might help. I think the decompression on the cam doesn't help anything but the starter. Opening the throttle might help it get more air when its pushing it out the exhaust when cranking. Book only shows 130 psi on the cranking compression.

Reactions: JTW and pct
advertisement
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has never started without turning over several times it has been that way since it was new

Reactions: JTW
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
A while back Someone else suggested not waiting for the fuel pump to shut off when starting the 700's. I wonder how well it would work on a p1k. I put the key in and go right to starting it, it seems as though my 700 starts a whole lot better since I've been using this method.

Reactions: Jshell3
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine has also done this on occasion. When it does I just push the accelerator half way to the floor and it cranks right up. 99 percent of the time mine starts before it turns over one good time. I find that the hard start usually only happens after I have rode for a while and shut it off to do something and then re-start while engine is still hot.

J

JTW

Mine has also done this on occasion. When it does I just push the accelerator half way to the floor and it cranks right up. 99 percent of the time mine starts before it turns over one good time. I find that the hard start usually only happens after I have rode for a while and shut it off to do something and then re-start while engine is still hot.
Exactly..

J

JTW

Valve adjustment might help. I think the decompression on the cam doesn't help anything but the starter. Opening the throttle might help it get more air when its pushing it out the exhaust when cranking. Book only shows 130 psi on the cranking compression.
I just had the first service done and the valves were in spec.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I know you say it not voltage but mine did exactly what you describe in your first post and it it turned out to be the guy that installed my dual battery.
The ground terminal on the primary battery was left loose.
The engine would turn but no ignition.

Reactions: Someguy and JTW
J

JTW

Is it possible that your not using the factory program ignition key?

Are you trying to crank it with a backup copy you made at Walmart?
No.. I haven't had any backups made.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

J

JTW

I know you say it not voltage but mine did exactly what you describe in your first post and it it turned out to be the guy that installed my dual battery.
The ground terminal on the primary battery was left loose.
The engine would turn but no ignition.
I can see the voltage on the meter.. it's good. Besides I didn't jump to the stock battery for ground. I'll check them again... but I'm 96.349% sure it's a tuning issue.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Your probably right but once you start cranking some amps a bad connection can cause a big voltage drop. Then you do not get voltage where you need it cause it's all lost across the bad connection.

But in your case it a tuning thing so you should go ahead and pay for that power commander in your cart

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Your probably right but once you start cranking some amps a bad connection can cause a big voltage drop. Then you do not get voltage where you need it cause it's all lost across the bad connection.

But in your case it a tuning thing so you should go ahead and pay for that power commander in your cart
Lol.. I'll just deal with the slow start once every 4 or 5 months. Shocks are higher on my list.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!