P1000 Not firing

J

JTW

So.. I started my machine and rode it around doing work around the house. Start and stop.. off and on. Shut it down and talked to the neighbor for about 30 minutes and went to start it. Nodda, it would turn over but was acting like it wasn't getting ignition. It wanted to but just wouldn't fire. Finally, after a while of cranking and turning it off and on, it fired up and was fine. I had it do this to me once back in the winter after it sat for a while and I just figured it was a little bad gas. I just filled up yesterday and have been running around with no trouble. Any thoughts? It's either spark or fuel not getting there but I don't know why it's so spastic?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So.. I started my machine and rode it around doing work around the house. Start and stop.. off and on. Shut it down and talked to the neighbor for about 30 minutes and went to start it. Nodda, it would turn over but was acting like it wasn't getting ignition. It wanted to but just wouldn't fire. Finally, after a while of cranking and turning it off and on, it fired up and was fine. I had it do this to me once back in the winter after it sat for a while and I just figured it was a little bad gas. I just filled up yesterday and have been running around with no trouble. Any thoughts? It's either spark or fuel not getting there but I don't know why it's so spastic?

I've had to pump the throttle on mine several times to get it to start. Very weird for a injected vehicle. It's always eventually cranked so I haven't worried much... I'm curious too though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The owners manual says to push the accelerator half way or something when starting. It's not usually needed for me but it has been before.

J

JTW

Hmmmm... so I'm in not the only one? Well, I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or not.

Interestingly enough... an EFI system can flood. That I didn't know until just now. I've never had an issue on any fuel injected vehicle until this one. But I also don't press the peddle when starting. However, I thought the computer basically wouldn't allow for a driver flood. @snuffnwhisky if the tuner took care of it on yours, then I'm assuming it's something in the computer with regards to emissions, causing this, if it's in multiple vehicles.

J

JTW

Mine did the same several times before the tuner. Holding wide open to crank helped when it did it.
That's what you do in a carbureted flood and apparently works the same for an efi system. I can't recreate it to test. But if I go out and hold the peddle down to the floor on my Pioneer, it will not start. It turns over and clears the system.

J

JTW

If you try to flood it by pumping the peddle and holding the peddle it will not flood. I can't make it flood. So I dunno... next time it happens I'll try and hold the peddle to the floor as soon as I recognize it and see if that solves it. If so, I'll at least know that it is a flood.

J

JTW

The owners manual says to push the accelerator half way or something when starting. It's not usually needed for me but it has been before.
If I do that, it revs as soon as it hits.. and in normal circumstances it hits right away. I generally let the fuel pump stop before I turn it over.. I just can't remember if I did this time.

(Sorry if I'm rambling on... I'm just talking it through to myself and making note of it all for the next time.)

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If I do that, it revs as soon as it hits.. and in normal circumstances it hits right away. I generally let the fuel pump stop before I turn it over.. I just can't remember if I did this time.

(Sorry if I'm rambling on... I'm just talking it through to myself and making note of it all for the next time.)

Are the voices in your head still answering you JTW?

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you try to flood it by pumping the peddle and holding the peddle it will not flood. I can't make it flood. So I dunno... next time it happens I'll try and hold the peddle to the floor as soon as I recognize it and see if that solves it. If so, I'll at least know that it is a flood.
That's because by pumping the peddle you are actuating the throttle body letting in more air not adding fuel. Injectors are controlled by the computer not the peddle

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Happened to me a while back! I've gotten into the habit of cycling the key to the on position twice prior to cranking not sure if it is needed! @JTW you probably just need to burn the carbon out of it:confused: lol

J

JTW

That's because by pumping the peddle you are actuating the throttle body letting in more air not adding fuel. Injectors are controlled by the computer not the peddle
That's essentially the way I had understood it working.. but why then by holding it to the floor does it clear the system? And how can it even flood if then if computer is controlling the fuel? What's actually happening for it to not start to begin with? It's obviously not just mine doing it.

J

JTW

Happened to me a while back! I've gotten into the habit of cycling the key to the on position twice prior to cranking not sure if it is needed! @JTW you probably just need to burn the carbon out of it:confused: lol
Were you in the habit of cycling the key twice prior to it doing it to you?

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
the throttles on all fuel injected vehicles go through the computer. when you hold it to the floor when starting it the computer cuts fuel to the injectors as a fail safe. its a tunning issue. ive seen it on all kinds of EFI vehicles.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
my dad had a procharged 522 boat motor that was detuned to 902hp. it would do the same thing, you had to hold the stick to the floor to get it to start sometimes. you want to talk about a wake up call when it finally hit!

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious if it could be a voltage issue? Did you leave the radio on or something like that, that could have dropped the battery down enough to crank but not enough voltage for the injectors? I can't speak for the 1000 but I had a lot of trouble starting my 700 when it was negative temps the last couple of winters. After doing a bunch of research it looks like if the voltage drops that it turns off the injectors, but the motor still cranks. Just a thought maybe. And what was said above about the full throttle from what I could find is true. It sounds like at least on the 700, when you depress it fully, it cuts off the fuel and also the spark giving you the ability to blow out the flooded cylinder. When you release the throttle they both come back on allowing the machine to start. Hopefully you never have to worry about it again.

J

Jshell3

@JTW - I usually turn the key one click and wait for the pump to pressure up (and turn off) before I fully turn the key and engage the starter. When it's quiet, you can hear it turn off.

It's never just fired right up, tho. It still turns over a full sec before busting off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JTW
J

Jshell3

Now that I think about it... when I was wiring my reverse lights, I kept my key on at times while checking plugs/wiring... and I could hear a high pitched whine the whole time the key was on. I had the dump bed up and my head and shoulders stuck up in there above the rear tire. When I turned the key off, the whine stopped. But it has to be REALLY quiet in order to hear it. No motor running, just key on.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When mine does it I just give the throttle a quick tap while cranking, and it fires right up.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!