P1000 Observations from first “real ride”

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Took the “Great White Hope” our for its maiden (to me) voyage. My quick observations are:

This thing is SWEET.” Runs like a charm. Much more comfortable than my Foreman. The Mrs., who doesn’t impress easily(don’t ask me how she ended up with me), was immediately sold. Loved the manual paddle shift. Just had to remind myself to do it. :)

All of the recall work (including heat shield) was done just prior to purchase, but within half an hour the enclosed cab started to get pretty warm. It only got warmer as we went along. I could tell some of the heat was coming from the seat. Couldn’t tell where the rest came from - it wasn’t from the shifter. That heat will come in handy one of these days soon (just not today).

It will take a little getting used to the width. It took up most of the trail, and took more than its share of branches.

I’m new to SxS’s so it felt a little strange. Not being able to use my weight to counterbalance it. Was feeling more comfortable by the end, but definitely feels more too heavy than any ATV I’ve ridden in the past.

There is something about taking a machine out that you KNOW will have no problem making it back.

I did notice a “clunk” as it shifted from one gear to the other. Seems like a Honda thing, so I didn’t worry about it too much.

That’s it for now.

Last edited:
J

JTW

There’s a solenoid to adjust that.. but it’s nothing to worry about

Reactions: sharp
G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had my first long ride in the 1000 yesterday after spending years riding in Polaris RZRs. The first thing my wife and I noticed is how much quieter the overall experience was. No rattles, squeeks, or strange noises and much quieter engine noise. We could actually talk in a normal voice when drive at 40 mph. The overall ride seemed smoother aslo even though I had fox shocks on the rzrs and have just the standard Honda shocks on this one. I had been thinking I would need to upgrade to the FOx shocks for this Honda but so far I am happy with the ride. It looks like the Honda will be getting about 5 mpg better than my rzr did. I have probably 25,000 miles on a rzr and only had to replace the belts twice during a ride but it is always in the back of your mind each time you go out. I won't have to carry the special tools and belts that I have in the past. I did feel a little heat in the seat a couple of times but since it was only about 65 F it was pretty nice.

H

HondaTech

There’s a solenoid to adjust that.. but it’s nothing to worry about

Can you elaborate on this, never heard of a "solenoid" stoppin the shift clunk. I wouldn't think you could stop a shifting transmission from clunking while shifting.

J

JTW

Can you elaborate on this, never heard of a "solenoid" stoppin the shift clunk. I wouldn't think you could stop a shifting transmission from clunking while shifting.
@snuffnwhisky and @joeymt33 can elaborate better than I!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!