BOX1

P1000 Deluxe vs LE? Need some real world knowledge.

G

Ghaniba

Feb 2, 2019
Northeastern CT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey guys, first post here on this forum! I’m brandy-new to the side by side world. I’ve literally only driven my buddy’s can-am commander 800 around his yard, once. I will be picking up a Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe this weekend (assuming all the parts show up this week!)

While I’m brand new to the side by side world, I’ve been building offroaders for years, mainly rock crawlers, etc. My latest build was a Land Rover LR3. This truck has a very similar system to what Honda is doing with the i-4wd system.

The reality is - the i-4WD system will be PERFECT for 95% of all use cases. It remains easy to steer and will effortlessly move through almost anything. They will not chew through brakes as the tire spinning in the air has no rolling resistance behind it— the brake force is drastically reduced to slow it down — it it does not even have to stop the tire to divert power to the non moving wheel. (If anyone would like a demo of this, I can post up a video of it in action from a couple years ago doing a demo of that system.)

The only downside reality of the i-4WD — it MUST spin before it will transfer power. That means it’s already GOING to lose traction first before kicking in. Any actual concern? No. Overall, the steering ease alone will be worthwhile.

Anyway. Why did I not buy the LE? The price jump between the two I was able to get many factory options that actually WILL make a world of difference.

Dave aka Ghan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey guys, first post here on this forum! I’m brandy-new to the side by side world. I’ve literally only driven my buddy’s can-am commander 800 around his yard, once. I will be picking up a Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe this weekend (assuming all the parts show up this week!)

While I’m brand new to the side by side world, I’ve been building offroaders for years, mainly rock crawlers, etc. My latest build was a Land Rover LR3. This truck has a very similar system to what Honda is doing with the i-4wd system.

The reality is - the i-4WD system will be PERFECT for 95% of all use cases. It remains easy to steer and will effortlessly move through almost anything. They will not chew through brakes as the tire spinning in the air has no rolling resistance behind it— the brake force is drastically reduced to slow it down — it it does not even have to stop the tire to divert power to the non moving wheel. (If anyone would like a demo of this, I can post up a video of it in action from a couple years ago doing a demo of that system.)

The only downside reality of the i-4WD — it MUST spin before it will transfer power. That means it’s already GOING to lose traction first before kicking in. Any actual concern? No. Overall, the steering ease alone will be worthwhile.

Anyway. Why did I not buy the LE? The price jump between the two I was able to get many factory options that actually WILL make a world of difference.

Dave aka Ghan
Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on the soon to be new ride

Reactions: sharp
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Dave aka Ghan

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction from Central Texas
Please do start another thread and post that video. This group is very interested in how most anything works. We all really get along , it's just a big family here.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Congratulations and welcome to the addiction from Central Texas
Please do start another thread and post that video. This group is very interested in how most anything works. We all really get along , it's just a big family here.
I dysfunctional family but yes family.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2014 700-4 to a 1000-5 deluxe to a 1000-3LE with I4wd. Different strokes for different folks, I dont rock climb or go "mudding" This past week with snow I put it in I4Wd and forgot about it. With the 1000-5 I never thought about locking the front. (unless your plowing). The I4wd is awesome for the everyday user.

However that F@[HASHTAG]#kin[/HASHTAG] "hill assist" button is USELESS.. When i get into my Pioneer EVERYDAY the first thing I push is the MT/AT button...So I can shift, and its the last button in a row of 3. I dont want "Lights" or "hill assist". I wanna shift this SOB. The ability to Shift this SxS is the reason I bought a Honda.;..

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A

All families are dysfunctional is some way. But when it comes down to it ,we would do whats need to help.
Foowie, I fan the flames, so you can get to the end quicker, HA!

Reactions: Plumber32
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Are the gears larger or just the housing?
I haven't compared part numbers, but the larger differential housing primary function is that they hold the sensor for each axle to monitor rpm to determine when a wheel(s) are slipping one side to the other. If you look at them they are notably wider. Thus LE runs entirely different axle lengths. I doubt the planetary gear is any bigger / stronger. I replaced the entire rear differential in my 2016 P1K my god that planetary could double as a boat anchor, definitely over built. Mine had a seal go out and got ran contaminated, didn't like to sound it made, was easier to replace entire unit.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I haven't compared part numbers, but the larger differential housing primary function is that they hold the sensor for each axle to monitor rpm to determine when a wheel(s) are slipping one side to the other. If you look at them they are notably wider. Thus LE runs entirely different axle lengths. I doubt the planetary gear is any bigger / stronger. I replaced the entire rear differential in my 2016 P1K my god that planetary could double as a boat anchor, definitely over built. Mine had a seal go out and got ran contaminated, didn't like to sound it made, was easier to replace entire unit.
We don’t seem to hear of many problems with them other then water like you say. Extra fluid is definitely a good thing though

Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
2014 700-4 to a 1000-5 deluxe to a 1000-3LE with I4wd. Different strokes for different folks, I dont rock climb or go "mudding" This past week with snow I put it in I4Wd and forgot about it. With the 1000-5 I never thought about locking the front. (unless your plowing). The I4wd is awesome for the everyday user.

However that F@[HASHTAG]#kin[/HASHTAG] "hill assist" button is USELESS.. When i get into my Pioneer EVERYDAY the first thing I push is the MT/AT button...So I can shift, and its the last button in a row of 3. I dont want "Lights" or "hill assist". I wanna shift this SOB. The ability to Shift this SxS is the reason I bought a Honda.;..

I have a LE and thought the hill assist was worthless until I got out here in Arizona and started climbing some hills and mountains. I actually used it a few times. A couple of times I started climbing a hill and it was steeper than I thought and had it in 2wheel drive the back tires started to spin in loose rock. Simply pressed the hill assist on reach over and slap it in I-4WD and away you go. Another time I was following one of my buddies and he had trouble about 2/3 s of the way up a steep incline. I stopped halfway up waited and when ready used the hill assist. You can just slowly take off again without rolling backwards or spinning tires. So the morale of the story is I think it is of some use now but have to remember it’s there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a LE and thought the hill assist was worthless until I got out here in Arizona and started climbing some hills and mountains. I actually used it a few times. A couple of times I started climbing a hill and it was steeper than I thought and had it in 2wheel drive the back tires started to spin in loose rock. Simply pressed the hill assist on reach over and slap it in I-4WD and away you go. Another time I was following one of my buddies and he had trouble about 2/3 s of the way up a steep incline. I stopped halfway up waited and when ready used the hill assist. You can just slowly take off again without rolling backwards or spinning tires. So the morale of the story is I think it is of some use now but have to remember it’s there

Also it will help elimainate driving with 2 feet while stopped on a steep incline, but like you said you have to remember its there.

Reactions: TimG
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sounds like pressing the brake pedal amounts to the same thing ...... lol

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!