P500 Obsessive winch install.

lone wolf

lone wolf

May 7, 2016
Florida
Maybe a little late to the party here, but if you only have one circuit breaker, It should be mounted as close as possible to the battery terminal. If the circuit breaker is mounted at the front, a short could occur anywhere between the battery and the circuit breaker and you won't be protected.
got it I thought so .

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
what is the main purpose of running dual battery's and does the Honda assy. cable give power to lights or does that also have to run back to the battery.

You can run 4 accessories off of the accessory sub-harness, no need to go back to the battery. The only concern will be wattage draw, you can't exceed whatever the Honda OEM circuit is designed to handle. Without knowing what the circuit is rated at, you'll probably be safe assuming they are 5 amp circuits. Two lights like the common 18 watt Ebay sets won't be a problem on one of the wire sets. Light bar? I'll defer.

Last edited:
lone wolf

lone wolf

May 7, 2016
Florida
You can run 4 accessories off of the accessory sub-harness, no need to go back to the battery. The only concern will be wattage draw, you can't exceed whatever the Honda OEM circuit is designed to handle.
so what is the wattage draw on the accessory Harness . I have only winch to stock battery and plan to put light bar on Honda accessory sub harness. I would not think that will be over kill .

Reactions: Montecresto
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
so what is the wattage draw on the accessory Harness . I have only winch to stock battery and plan to put light bar on Honda accessory sub harness. I would not think that will be over kill .
I doubt you'll need a dual battery for that, but I'll defer the answer to your question to someone else. Honestly, I don't know what the circuit is rated at. If you have already wired your winch without the sub-harness, I suspect that you'll be OK to use it to power a light bar but, Again, I'll have to defer to someone who knows the circuit specifics. What light bar do you want to power? You'll need to know the power requirement.

lone wolf

lone wolf

May 7, 2016
Florida
I doubt you'll need a dual battery for that, but I'll defer the answer to your question to someone else. Honestly, I don't know what the circuit is rated at. If you have already wired your winch without the sub-harness, I suspect that you'll be OK to use it to power a light bar but, Again, I'll have to defer to someone who knows the circuit specifics. What light bar do you want to power? You'll need to know the power requirement.
I will base my decision on what wattage would be preferred on the wire sub harness.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
what is the main purpose of running dual battery's and does the Honda assy. cable give power to lights or does that also have to run back to the battery.
For my purposes, the dual battery is so that when we stop for breaks and lunch, or just setting around the fire at night, we have music, and I don't have to worry about that little 16 AH OEM battery falling off and needing a jump. Check out the dual battery thread if your considering one. The Honda assembly harness provides you four keyed power sources that are pulling from the OEM battery.

Reactions: lone wolf
lone wolf

lone wolf

May 7, 2016
Florida
For my purposes, the dual battery is so that when we stop for breaks and lunch, or just setting around the fire at night, we have music, and I don't have to worry about that little 16 AH OEM battery falling off and needing a jump. Check out the dual battery thread if your considering one. The Honda assembly harness provides you four keyed power sources that are pulling from the OEM battery.
Thanks for the info sounds like you have good times at night with your P-500

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Anybody know how much wattage the accessory harness can supply and/or what size fuse it's on? Are there schematics available?

T

TN8S

Jan 5, 2017
Hollywood, SC
Ownership

1. 500
I'm probably going over the top on this, but...............

This is where I left off last weekend. Cutting the cover to free up the vertical wire channel, drilling the wire access hole and grinding off the corner of the negative terminal connector so I could tilt it up a little. The negative wire now clears the lip of the box and runs down the vertical shaft stress free.
View attachment 15180

Today I cut the Short lead supplied by Tera, soldered on a new copper connector and then sealed it with a couple of layers of shrink wrap.
View attachment 15181

It even fits in the OEM terminal cover.
View attachment 15182

I bought two ten foot runs of solid copper stranded #4 so that I could relax and run to the front any way I wanted. Soldered copper terminal connectors and sealed them with shrink wrap.I should be able to close the box for the last time next weekend.
View attachment 15183
.................so where is the best "placement" from the winch to battery? Looks like there is bo place through the cab or do you have to go underneath floor?............

C

Chooglin

.................so where is the best "placement" from the winch to battery? Looks like there is bo place through the cab or do you have to go underneath floor?............
Remove your skid plates and run them along side the factory harness !

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Will do! Doesn't look like a hard install, just want to protect the power feeders. Many thanks for the reply!
How old is your P5? It's not a bad idea to run those wires along the frame inside of split loam. BTW, welcome to the forum. If your P5's not decked out yet, this place will inspire it, and even be responsible for running up your credit card bill, lol.

Reactions: trigger
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016

There is already a major cable run underneath the passenger side of the P500, I tied to that. I came straight up what would be called the firewall in other vehicles to the Honda factory solenoid mount. It is a simple straight forward run. I recommend keeping all cables on the inside of the frame(not inside the frame tube), don't loop them around the outside of the frame, to avoid having them catch onto something when riding.

Reactions: trigger
N

NwBlanchard

Oct 18, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 500
You corrected to "circuit breaker". My concerns about mounting up front would be insulating the contacts and finding a location for a strong mount. You don't want those leads to get loose and contact anything. If you can confidently solve those two problems, mounting higher, and dryer, will be better IMO.

The current location is a quick, easy, known solution that offers reasonably good access for service. It does seem to be susceptible to moisture and corrosion though, especially if you frequent deeper water. I didn't check to see how water tight the unit is, it would be interesting to have a more thorough analysis of the units resistance to moisture.

I have seen where a guy took a plain electrical box that you could use in your house for a wall outlet and mount the circuit breaker in it. It looked like a perfect fit and he had a plain blank plate cover over that. I was considering doing that and just zip tying it to a cross member.

Reactions: Rustell

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!