P1000 Occasionally hard to start

deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Anyone else experienced an occasional issue when firing up your P1K? It doesn't happen often but every once in awhile when I start it it fires and sputters (similar to a flooded engine in the old days of carburetors) and dies. After a few starts it seems to clear and runs fine. Seems to only happen after it has been driven for the first time that day. Like I said, it may do it once on twice one day and then not do it for a week or two of driving daily.

It has done this ever since I purchased it new. The Honda dealer said they had not idea why and couldn't diagnose the problem unless it was doing it when they had it. Well, that was helpful, but I do understand their reasoning. It is a 2016 EPS. I love it and have had zero problems with it (other than the above which has been a nuisance rather than a problem so far). Just concerned that some day I will be 25 miles into the 'blue loop' at Mill Creek and it decides it doesn't want to start.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Our 2016 I have had spitting and sputtering is when it sits for 2 or more weeks and hasn't been on the battery tender and stale gas. It usually works its self out but it sounds terrible thats the first start of the day but after that no issues. I need to start running non-ethanol in it again.

Reactions: JenElio
deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Thanks Average_Joe. I use high octane non-ethanol because I saw what the ethanol fuel did to my chainsaws and old ATV. I ride enough that the gas doesn't get a chance to get very old so I don't think it is a fuel problem. The Honda dealer said they had never heard of anyone else having this issue. I hoping someone has an idea of what may be happening and it could benefit both of us.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Both of my pioneers have done it. I dont know the exact reason but I know if you turn the key on, wait 10 seconds, then start it, it doesn't do it.

I think it bleeds of a little fuel pressure and if you turn the key straight to start, sometimes the fuel pump hasn't caught up.

Reactions: JenElio and Isaiah
deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Both of my pioneers have done it. I dont know the exact reason but I know if you turn the key on, wait 10 seconds, then start it, it doesn't do it.

I think it bleeds of a little fuel pressure and if you turn the key straight to start, sometimes the fuel pump hasn't caught up.

Thanks Cuoutdoors. My normal starting process is to turn the key on, wait until the fuel pump noise stops and then turn it to start. That is a lot less than 10 seconds so I will give that a try. Won't know until the next time it doesn't cooperate but will give you a shout out....

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Cuoutdoors. My normal starting process is to turn the key on, wait until the fuel pump noise stops and then turn it to start. That is a lot less than 10 seconds so I will give that a try. Won't know until the next time it doesn't cooperate but will give you a shout out....
Well thats basically what I do. I'm not sure what else to try. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Isaiah
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you checked your grounds? My 2017 started acting like that when I first got it. Really loose grounds tightened, and 2 years later haven't had a single instance since. Worth a look. Be sure to actually put a wrench on all of them. I had one on rear of engine that wouldn't wiggle, but then I got two full turns before it was snug.

Reactions: TripleB
deanemma

deanemma

Oct 7, 2018
Sunrise Beach, Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Thanks Ericthered. That sounds like a real possibility. I will start checking them this weekend. The inconsistency of the problem is as frustrating as the problem its-self.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!