P500 OEM Skid Plates

S

Subs

Sep 23, 2017
Ohio
Hi Everyone. I going to use my 2017 P500 around my property for utility work that's part of a forestry program (NE Ohio, wooded with some creeks). I have been contemplating skid plates but I'm wondering if I supplement the OEM set up with with some Kydex a-arm protectors front and back if I'll be OK. I might get into a couple of light trail rides during the season but for the most part this will stay on my property.

Any opinions from the guys that stuck with the OEM set up? Will they hold up to my uses of driving over forested areas with brush and logs or should I swap them out for a set of UHMW? I have access to both UHMW plastic, kydex and a cnc router so a DIY project could be fun.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UHMW if you do it, takes an impact better than kydex, for this use.

Kydex is easier to mold so might be better for a-arms if your ok with replacing it after it gets broken. Function is more to keep sticks out of the cv boots than anything.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I go along with ohanacreek, go with the UHMW you will never regret it.

Reactions: ncred02
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't replaced my skids yet and the OEM ones have held up pretty well. Been stuck in deep mud and have high pointed it a couple of times. Just knew that I broke something one time and was surprised that it held up fine. I'd recommend steel or aluminum for the A arm guards though, JMO.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't replaced my skids yet and the OEM ones have held up pretty well. Been stuck in deep mud and have high pointed it a couple of times. Just knew that I broke something one time and was surprised that it held up fine. I'd recommend steel or aluminum for the A arm guards though, JMO.
When I replaced my skids the OEM's were full of rips and tears. I had put on Alum. (I abbreviated Alum. because I can't spell aluminum) arm guards and dented them up pretty good. I then went with with all UHMW and not problems at all. Having said all that keep in mind I do not drive it like a mad man but I do take it in a lot of really rocky places. Could that be the reason it's call the Rocky Mountains?

luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
with your type of riding it might not be necessary but with access to UHMW i'd go for it.next best thing to riding is modding the P5

Reactions: trigger
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
When I replaced my skids the OEM's were full of rips and tears. I had put on Alum. (I abbreviated Alum. because I can't spell aluminum) arm guards and dented them up pretty good. I then went with with all UHMW and not problems at all. Having said all that keep in mind I do not drive it like a mad man but I do take it in a lot of really rocky places. Could that be the reason it's call the Rocky Mountains?
I had the same set up,,,SSS skids and Alum arm guards. Dam near bullet proof. I just tossed the factory ones in the dumpster at work this week

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Let me know what you do and how it works. I am looking at UHMY for the floor boards and keeping the factory everywhere else to prevent sticks from poking through. I had a Honda Rancher that I tore up the floor boards just waiting for the same to happen to my Pioneer. I don't abuse a machine but ride a lot in the woods where sticks can be an issue.

Reactions: ohanacreek
S

Subs

Sep 23, 2017
Ohio
I think I'm going to end up going with 1/4" uhmw panels and full coverage. I don't do much around rocks so this is mostly an upgrade to prevent stick damage to the floor boards and the boots. Patterning the plates and cutting with the CNC won't be a big deal but I don't love how the after market options require drilling holes in the OEM frame. Have you any of you DIY guys used different attachment methods for the floor board areas? I was thinking p-clamps.

Reactions: RevelDogs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!