P1000 Oil brands being used

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Will be doing a 1st service on on my 2019 1000-5 shortly. What are some of the different brands of oil being used out there.....good, better, best. Will be operating in winter temps to -25* F.. Thx

Reactions: Lady01
S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
OK, am not wanting to use Honda oil....Am hearing that Shell Rotax can be used but there are several "Rotax" oils for different applications...which one..???

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
OK, am not wanting to use Honda oil....Am hearing that Shell Rotax can be used but there are several "Rotax" oils for different applications...which one..???
This is a 2yr old thread BTW lol.
but ill bite for yea.
you know this subject will open a can of worms right? 🤣

Ive used Shell Rotella T 5W40 since mine was new in 16’ and no Issues. Ive use it in my trucks for years as well. Still no issues.

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
I did mean Rotella,... thinking sleds already....haha...
Are there not different Rottellas or is the "T" the one to use..??

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is a 2yr old thread BTW lol.
but ill bite for yea.
you know this subject will open a can of worms right? 🤣

Ive used Shell Rotella T 5W40 since mine was new in 16’ and no Issues. Ive use it in my trucks for years as well. Still no issues.
Yep same here. Use it in everything.
Ya oil threads get fun.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
JASO MA: This is the standard specification for oils that are used within one oil system (where the engine, gearbox and clutch use the same oil). ... JASO MA2: This is a higher standard specification for modern motorcycles. These oils are suitable for use in motorcycles that have catalytic converters in the exhaust system.
Any oil that has JASO MA2 spec. will work fine.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda GN4 10w-40 in this warm weather, same in sub trans, then Royal Purple in front and rear diffs. This topic is more controversial than religion, LOL. But go ahead and read up, your head will spin when you are at the end of all the oil threads.

I used 10w-30 in first oil change, will probably go back when fall cools down. I just did my third oil change this year since March.
Cheers!

(ignore the Mobil 1, it was in sub trans but switched to GN4)

View

Last edited:
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks Wellzy. What about Royal Purple for the engne and sub trans oil? I have had great luck with Royal Purple in my Honda Accord. It DOES increase fuel economy. I checked it myself. It would be nice to buy one brand and have less self space storage then two brands. Just curious.

Reactions: trigger
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When it comes to my powersports and power equipment all OEM fluids are my vote.

For all my cars it's Castrol edge, and shell for the cummins.

Everything except powersports gets Lucas.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I guess I am just a nerd, I always go by what the owners manual says to use.

I have seen some companies use a dye in their oils to assure your warranty validity.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Wellzy. What about Royal Purple for the engne and sub trans oil? I have had great luck with Royal Purple in my Honda Accord. It DOES increase fuel economy. I checked it myself. It would be nice to buy one brand and have less self space storage then two brands. Just curious.
Been running Royal Purple in everything I've owned for the last 20 yrs. Couldn't find MaxCycle for the last change so went with the Honda full synthetic. It's shifting like butter and running better than ever, I'm sticking with it now.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks Trigger. I have had great luck with my Honda Accord since 2016. And it really does improve the MPG. I tested that myself. So I would like to put the engine and diff oil in my Honda Talon.

Reactions: trigger
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put factory in for the first change but will be going to Amsoil.

Reactions: Spud805
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put factory in for the first change but will be going to Amsoil.
I am a huge Amsoil fan, but with the dual clutch, I am nervous about making the switch. Also, as this is needed every 1,200 miles, each change will cost that much more. I just did my 3rd this year.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!