P500 Oil Change - HP4S - observations...

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Hello friends. This past Saturday I busted out the manual and changed the oil in our 2018 Pioneer 500. I found that it was not difficult, but it WAS time consuming to do it right. I enjoyed the process, to be honest. I feel like I know the machine better. Anyways, I chose to upgrade to Honda HP4S oil, from GN4. I would say, now that I've been on three rides since Saturday, that the machine does shift a little better. Not a tremendous difference, but I would describe it as noticeable. It shifted fine before, but it feels/sounds a bit slicker now. The P500 is still a noisy son of a gun like it was before, but as stated previously, I can ignore the noises when I have the peace of mind that I've done my part.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Very nice work. While you were there, did you have a chance to glance at the air filter?

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
There is a solution for the over-all noise of the P500......

EszHaUfdSvOHu1FFDHciYg

I will attest to the significant noise reduction after installing my Trigger Shield. It is a night and day difference. It will be one of the best mods you do (and cheapest). The $70 admission price to join the Trigger Shield Club is a bargain. :cool:

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Having changed it once, would you consider making an access port as described P500 - Make oil changes easy!
I saw that post. In my case, I say "no" only because I'm on a mission to lessen engine noise, and I will probably end up purchasing one of those rubber noise reducer flaps that what's-his-name is selling on here. Also, I feel like I needed all available room with the cover removed in order to see well what I was doing, and maneuver my hand around down there. Additionally, he cut the hole where it says "no storage" which is exactly where I store my street legal documentation.

Reactions: rtn001 and DG Rider
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Very nice work. While you were there, did you have a chance to glance at the air filter?
Yes, curiosity got the better of me and I'm glad that it did. I thought, "no, stay focused...don't peek inside...that'll be another day" but I opened it anyway and was shocked at how brown the filter was! That's definitely on my short list now - got bumped up in priority. Likely going to install a new filter during this next week.

Reactions: rtn001
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 123603

I will attest to the significant noise reduction after installing my Trigger Shield. It is a night and day difference. It will be one of the best mods you do (and cheapest). The $70 admission price to join the Trigger Shield Club is a bargain. :cool:
Hola Trigger. Yes, I have thought of your shield every day since Saturday. I'm putting my pennies together for new 5+2 rims at the moment, then the noise shield will be come. I've heard enough that I'm expecting a miracle! ;)

Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Hola Trigger. Yes, I have thought of your shield every day since Saturday. I'm putting my pennies together for new 5+2 rims at the moment, then the noise shield will be come. I've heard enough that I'm expecting a miracle! ;)

You will not be disappointed @SouthwestORV I am still amazed at how much quieter it really is every time I turn the key. @trigger makes a fantastic product!!

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 123603

Oh wait! You're not trigger...which makes your testimony all the more powerful.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
[QUOTE="SouthwestORV, post: 436090, member: 14154"
I'm expecting a miracle! ;)
Maybe he will offer a "Holy Week Special":rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
He should! Half price in honor of the late Notre Dame. A proper way to pay our respects.

Todd627

Todd627

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Maybe he will offer a "Holy Week Special":rolleyes:
He should! Half price in honor of the late Notre Dame. A proper way to pay our respects.

Easy boys....his user name is @trigger not @Unicef. LOL Trust me the $50 price + $20 for shipping is a bargain. Once you install it you are gonna kick your own ass for not doing it sooner. :D

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Additionally, he cut the hole where it says "no storage" which is exactly where I store my street legal documentation.
What if Honda denies warranty coverage because of that? With my mod, you won't even be tempted to store stuff there, thus saving you out-of-pocket expenses?

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 123603

I have to agree this was a great...my opinion

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Yes, curiosity got the better of me and I'm glad that it did. I thought, "no, stay focused...don't peek inside...that'll be another day" but I opened it anyway and was shocked at how brown the filter was! That's definitely on my short list now - got bumped up in priority. Likely going to install a new filter during this next week.

To clean the filter is no cost, assuming no tears in the filter. See this video, a nice step by step,

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I will probably end up purchasing one of those rubber noise reducer flaps that what's-his-name is selling on here

Hope "what's his name" has a "rubber flap thing" to sell once you've figured out you need one. As for a discount, availability and price is exclusive only to members of this forum.
I heard about someone using foil backed carpet to achieve the same thing, cheaper and might work better? o_O

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!