Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well on the atvs the service light has always come on at 600 miles. Even before the maintenance 1 or 2 option. So that indicated a oil change which is what the light should come on every 1200, the only maintenance the chart recommends at 600 is to check the net snaps/clips and clean thw spark arrester (which no one does, ever).

Since the oil change is recommended at 1200 the dash IMO, should light up at 1200. I'm not debating oil changes arent better for your units. For instance Honda says my Grom should get an oil change every 2400 miles. But there is no way in hell, I'm pulling 2400 miles on a single cylinder air cooled engine that sees mostly high revs all the time. I change it every 600, might be overkill but I want that thing to last me.
With my clutch issues Iv'e been changing mine every 200 hours, got 945 miles on it and had 4 oil changes and still can't get the reminder to reset. turn key on to find what you want to reset, turn key off press sel button, turn key to I, the wrench blinks twice and your back to where you started, no reset???????????????????

G

Griff

Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I guess my display must be goofy. I did the 100 mile break in, and according to the display oil is changed every 600 miles or 100 hours since then.
Why do we have to change oil so often these days? The standard for cars and trucks was 2k-3k miles 30 years ago. But oils and filters are so much better than they have ever been. Cars and trucks now go 10k miles between oil changes, yet Honda, Polaris, and all the rest that make off road rigs say we have to change at 600 miles or 100 hours. Hell I can remember back in the 70's and 80's when motorcycles and three wheelers were lucky to get an oil change once a year and lasted 20-30 years before they gave out, same thing for cars and trucks. Just wondering why with today's oil and filters all manufactures require such frequent oil changes.
The maintenance schedules are confusing. The maint. hour & mileage meters count down, the odometer & hour meter count up.
The "schedule" in the manual is also a little confusing to read.
HTH

Griff

Reactions: Hondasxs
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Not at all. I appreciate everyone's help. I have no clue where I put my manual so I'll just download a pdf. After looking at everything posted, I've been pissing away money. Every 600 miles after the initial service I've been changing the oil and both filters. According to the chart you posted, these rigs aren't high maintenance at all. But I still think that at 1200 miles, the oil and filters should last longer. Thanks again for all the help everyone, much appreciated.

If you find a pdf of the owners manual, please share it. I haven’t come across one yet.

There is a spot with a clip provided under the seat for the P5 manual. I have mine in a ziploc bag. Don't the P1's have that?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There is a spot with a clip provided under the seat for the P5 manual. I have mine in a ziploc bag. Don't the P1's have that?
I'll have to look. My manual came in the glove box.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the paper manual that came with my machine. I haven't come across a digital version of it yet.

Reactions: YardDog

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!