drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is it my old eyes or is the dip stick "good oil" range about a quarter of an inch? What a pain that is. Also do you have to screw the dip stick all the way in and pull it back out to get an accurate reading? I'm guessing yes.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Yes, and no you do not screw the oil dip stick in.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Did.. still not registering on stick
make sure the dip stick is correct you should be able to screw in but don't then check it if it's at the wrong angle it will not reach the oil.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Is it my old eyes or is the dip stick "good oil" range about a quarter of an inch? What a pain that is. Also do you have to screw the dip stick all the way in and pull it back out to get an accurate reading? I'm guessing yes.
You have to follow the multi step process in your owners manual exactly or you will not get a proper oil level reading. I'm not going to bother to retype the process when it is in the manual included with the machine, a bit of a PITA but that is what has to be done.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No? Well then my oil does not even register on the dip stick!
If that's the case and you did check it properly, I would call the dealer and inform them. Even though it's prob. Only 1/2 qrt low in a roughly 6.5 qrt system. At least it will be on record if you ever have a problem. (Not that you will from a Honda). I'd be surprised if the dealer didn't perform a pre delivery inspection.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Yes follow the owners manual and still no oil screw it in and check it. That will let it go another 1/2 inch. If there is oil just add a few ounces. It holds a bit over 6 quarts.

Reactions: Haldog77 and sharp
advertisement
L

LBZ_Duramax

Oct 26, 2015
Mine was almost 2 quarts low from the dealer when I checked it the next morning before riding. We had a "chat" about that....

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the great responses. My first Pioneer but not my first ATV/UTV. I did the the oil check, "by the book" yesterday, I had the dip stick in straight because I had it screwed in thinking that's the way it's supposed to be checked, (it should have read high). My Polaris was checked in that manner so figured the Honda was the same. I'm going to the dealer today and let them know about the oil level right after I check it again this morning. I'll post up here on my results.. Thanks again boys.

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil? Who needs it? Don't you know that sh** will just make your clutches slip?;)

Reactions: drfubar
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I feel stupid! This morning I checked the oil, but this time I wore my glasses. Oil was fine, I just couldn't see the fresh oil on the dipstick well enough without my glasses. Don't get old boys cause it's hell... LOL! I actually feel a lot better now. DJR

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I feel stupid! This morning I checked the oil, but this time I wore my glasses. Oil was fine, I just couldn't see the fresh oil on the dipstick well enough without my glasses. Don't get old boys cause it's hell... LOL! I actually feel a lot better now. DJR
It's usually the simplest things!

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hear that. My Ma'ma always told us kids that getting old wasn't for sissies. I now know what she meant. :)

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And I want everyone to know that my Honda Oil was delivered today and my filters are at the post office... Thanks for all the good information.

Reactions: sharp
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
The dickstip is hard to read (you heard me) and the procedure for measuring the oil level is assanine.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!