P1000 OnTheJob's P1K-3 Build: "The Pie-O-Near"

Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fun to install by my lonesome, but is was quite useful and popular on the scouting outing last weekend
Lol, I used my deer hoist that I use when butchering deer to raise the Tough country bumper up and hold it in place so I could install it by myself. Doing it that way made it a breeze otherwise yeah, it would have been a real pain in the butt.

Reactions: Smitty335
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hard to believe I haven't had to add anything in 1.5 years!

New tires. Sedona Coyote 27x9-12 and 27x11-12. I like the stock wheels and sizes. I got them from Rocky Mountain ATV for $382 shipped.

New Shoes

sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The wiring wasn't bad at all. I had to shorten a bunch of wires but I decided on just the main wires and not the switch wires.

View attachment 66341
Hey- I read the entire thread and cannot see from the picture, wanted to know if you have that 100 amp relay connected to your winch power? I am running single battery, planning to put the same 100 amp relay you used a few inches away from my battery before running power to the front of my p520. There seems to be mixed feedback on whether this will trip when using the winch or not so I wanted to ask what you did (even if its on a second battery). Is that the winch solenoid in the far right with blue/yellow wires, can't tell where you routed them to. Thanks!

Reactions: Smitty335
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey- I read the entire thread and cannot see from the picture, wanted to know if you have that 100 amp relay connected to your winch power? I am running single battery, planning to put the same 100 amp relay you used a few inches away from my battery before running power to the front of my p520. There seems to be mixed feedback on whether this will trip when using the winch or not so I wanted to ask what you did (even if its on a second battery). Is that the winch solenoid in the far right with blue/yellow wires, can't tell where you routed them to. Thanks!
Sorry I haven't been on in months. This topic has been debated. My opinion is wire the winch directly to the second battery. I did not put a breaker between the battery and the winch. I've lived to talk about it. It's been that way since 2018 with zero issues. Now to research a new primary battery. It won't start or charge and we have a snow storm coming tonight!

S

Spencer1

Mar 17, 2022
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello fellas,

Does anyone have any updates on the engine compartment fan?

I picked up a 1000-5 last summer. The first trip we took it on was to my hometown of Mesquite Nevada for our first ride... It was about 115° outside and we had the glass windshield installed... We just about melted... Especially my 5 year old girl who was sitting directly over the motor on the front seat...

It was a pretty miserable experience for all 5 of us. We quickly realized that the removing the windshield was mandatory for the extreme heat.

I looked into the fixes for this and purchased the heat shield/insulation kit for under the seat and an overheat kit (aftermarket thermostat and water wetter). Neither of of which are installed yet.

I also came across a Facebook post with John Law's video of the under seat fan.

This looks like it may work pretty well but I would like some updated feedback. Especially from anyone who regularly has rear passengers prior to cutting a big hole into my new machine.

Thank you!

20210731 183917

20210730 093957

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello fellas,

I picked up a 1000-5 last summer. The first trip we took it on was to my hometown of Mesquite Nevada for our first ride... It was about 115° outside and we had the glass windshield installed... We just about melted... Especially my 5 year old girl who was sitting directly over the motor on the front seat...

It was a pretty miserable experience for all 5 of us. We quickly realized that the removing the windshield was mandatory for the extreme heat.

I looked into the fixes for this and purchased the heat shield/insulation kit for under the seat and an overheat kit (aftermarket thermostat and water wetter). Neither of of which are installed yet.

This looks like it may work pretty well but I would like some updated feedback. Especially from anyone who regularly has rear passengers prior to cutting a big hole into my new machine.

Thank you!

View attachment 324937

View attachment 324938
I have a fan and no big hole, do have a switch in the dash though.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello fellas,

As Smitty335 says, no big holes required. Many consider a 4" bilge blower, directed toward the engine header pipes, does a good job. That's what I installed below, this winter . . . so it hasn't been tested in combat yet.

20211210 212543

Many screw or bolt a metal strap to the seat braces, then bolt the blower to that. I welded up the bracket to mount with two hose clamps, so it removes without fuss for easy access.

It was cold in the shop, so paint's drying in the dining room - - wife is used to this aberrant behavior after 52 years.

20211210 170308

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As Smitty335 says, no big holes required. Many consider a 4" bilge blower, directed toward the engine header pipes, does a good job. That's what I installed below, this winter . . . so it hasn't been tested in combat yet.

View attachment 325021

Many screw or bolt a metal strap to the seat braces, then bolt the blower to that. I welded up the bracket to mount with two hose clamps, so it removes without fuss for easy access.

It was cold in the shop, so paint's drying in the dining room - - wife is used to this aberrant behavior after 52 years.

View attachment 325022
It helps a lot, you have it on a switch so you can have heat in the winter?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It helps a lot, you have it on a switch so you can have heat in the winter?
No. Though I considered it, and did test the blower motor in reverse (not efficient at all, as expected, due to the airfoil shape of the fan blades) . . . that, and I didn't want a hole in the back wall of the foot well. It does get to single digits here sometimes, but they are at least positive!

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Hello fellas,

Thank you!

View attachment 324937

View attachment 324938
This is what I did in my P1000-3. It is an 8” fan and about 1100 cfm.
C21F6506 1B29 4B7E AEB0 719D68BEC0A3
7F33952E 703E 43FD 9041 285F28D5C558BD33B860 B97E 4F28 8DD0 BBD2C8FB85513308A6D8 761F 4E4D 8EE8 6923DE8CB976

S

Spencer1

Mar 17, 2022
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also installed the DEI heat shield kit, which helped a lot.
Wow, that's pretty crafty. How long have you been running that setup? I would be worried that the fan might melt.

If you could get it pull cool air in with ducting similar to the bilge pump setup it would probably work really and it would be hidden away.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Its been in place for several months in my machine. I got the idea from other members in the forum, and they have been using this setup for a much longer time than I have. The area under the seat tends to build up heat due lack of airflow and the location of the engine and exhaust piping. I am pleased with the result so far. I decided to go this route vs the bilge fan mainly for increased airflow.

S

Spencer1

Mar 17, 2022
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its been in place for several months in my machine. I got the idea from other members in the forum, and they have been using this setup for a much longer time than I have. The area under the seat tends to build up heat due lack of airflow and the location of the engine and exhaust piping. I am pleased with the result so far. I decided to go this route vs the bilge fan mainly for increased airflow.
I may end up going this route. Thank you for you input!

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Judging by your climate I think some upper doors and a heater are in your future.

S

Spencer1

Mar 17, 2022
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Judging by your climate I think some upper doors and a heater are in your future.
Possibly down the road sometime. I've had it out in the snow a little and it wasn't too bad. But, I also ride far less in the winter.

Getting some ideas and methods to cool down the cab is the main priority right now. AC would be nice 🤔

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yikes! 9 Months since I've been on. This machine has been running flawlessly. I have an oil change coming up. 3,000 miles and our property is only 168 acres! This January will be 5 years with this machine. Getting the plow ready. Zero issues.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just checking in! Actually making sure I’m changing oils correctly and right amounts, including to sub-trans this time. That oil looked brand new! Coming up on 3,600. New battery last spring. Went with a Mighty Maxx. Not any more powerful than stock. Still hesitates to start on cold days. Replaced some lights over the bed with some better ones. Overall another flawless year! Getting ready to put the plow on next. Oh, I checked the air filters and they still looked brand new. I plan on doing the front and rear diff gear oil in the spring when it warms up so it’ll flow better. Miss you guys!

AC3CB3CF D6C7 4194 A714 BDCDE639F217

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!