P500 Options for hauling the P500 in a short bed??

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I doubt it, particularly with tail gate supports. But for me it's the stabilizing factor of the weight ahead of the trucks rear axle, and perhaps most importantly, nothing but rubber extends beyond the P5's rear deck, so back in until the tires come to rest against the bed box, no worries, no need to have someone else watch that you're not putting your winch hook through the cabs rear glass, no need for a railroad tie or other at the bottom of the box etc.

A lot of our P5s are different. I have the Honda rear bumper and it sticks out several inches past the rear tires. The rear bumper is high and would hit the truck window if I loaded P5 backwards. On the front, I have a superwinch which protrudes several inches beyond the front tires. The winch is lower and hits the metal of the truck box. Like I said, our P5s are different.

PS: Thank goodness for that Honda rear bumper. I inadvertently backed into the neighbour's car grill the other night. The grill was smashed out but I can't even find a scratch on the paint of my P5 bumper!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
A lot of our P5s are different. I have the Honda rear bumper and it sticks out several inches past the rear tires. The rear bumper is high and would hit the truck window if I loaded P5 backwards. On the front, I have a superwinch which protrudes several inches beyond the front tires. The winch is lower and hits the metal of the truck box. Like I said, our P5s are different.

PS: Thank goodness for that Honda rear bumper. I inadvertently backed into the neighbour's car grill the other night. The grill was smashed out but I can't even find a scratch on the paint of my P5 bumper!
Wow, so you've got issues either way. I could have sworn I saw yours backed in.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Wow, so you've got issues either way. I could have sworn I saw yours backed in.

Yes. I tried it backed in. Was gonna continue that way until I weighed everything at the commercial scales. That tipped me in favour of front ways. I believe I followed your advice and got DG tailgate supports so I have little concern for the tailgate now.
Al

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes. I tried it backed in. Was gonna continue that way until I weighed everything at the commercial scales. That tipped me in favour of front ways. I believe I followed your advice and got DG tailgate supports so I have little concern for the tailgate now.
Al
Can't imagine the cannon ball you've mounted to the front of your P5 to overcome the engine and tranny well to the rear of center, but good luck transporting it to your trails. :) And yes the tailgate supports are good insurance for the price.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Can't imagine the cannon ball you've mounted to the front of your P5 to overcome the engine and tranny well to the rear of center, but good luck transporting it to your trails. :) And yes the tailgate supports are good insurance for the price.

Crazy eh. All I got up there is a Superwinch 3500S and a Honda OEM bumper. Not unusual. But the weights I reported in post [HASHTAG]#208[/HASHTAG] speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Crazy eh. All I got up there is a Superwinch 3500S and a Honda OEM bumper. Not unusual. But the weights I reported in post [HASHTAG]#208[/HASHTAG] speak for themselves.
Uh huh????

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
What keeps the plywood from popping up as you drive up on it ?

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Even with my offset wheels and 2" wheel spacers it wedges between my wheel wells. The advantage to the 30" tires is that they hit the beds back wall before anything hard hits.
IMG 20170417 120311272 HDR

Reactions: trigger and rocmar
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Brimstone has rocks...hence the name. These are a cheaper 6 ply Agriculture style tire, the only real negative is a lack of side wall tread when climbing a muddy V-notched washed out, up hill climb. You try n straddle inside the V but things can happen suddenly.. But, with 6 psi on a 12" rim that tall side wall gets pretty gooey and does better than I expected for crawling on rocks and cars.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
But if it just sets on the gate , what's the point ?

I think they're worried about the structure of the tailgate more than the cables holding, two point loads bowing the gate? Using 3/4" cantilevered over the gate would help spread and transfer the load a little. Not the ideal set up but I guess it works for them.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Bought this whole set up last year, will be trying it out for the first time next weekend. Had the air bags installed a long time ago and they are still holding pressure, I'll just have to pump them up. Says it's an hour long trip to the campground, might take a little longer with this load though.
Loaded Side
Brought Trailer Home

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Loaded it up today and drove around town to get a feel for it. Pumped the bags up to 90 psi and it leveled her right out. It rode fine and didn't feel top heavy at all. 53" width between the wells was a squeeze but she made it. Next weekend we'll add the trailer.
Trying to post a pic but it keeps saying the file is too big for the server, it's just a pic?

Reactions: Mudder
W

WillB

May 29, 2017
Churchill,Ontario
The foot wide 10 foot 1500 pound ramps do hold up. Our problem was we had probably 1000 pounds of wood in the back of the sxs. Dumb move I admit. The 700 was pretty easy but the 1000 in the bed requires a set of scared nuts the first time in. But I found it easier because it self loads being so wide. View attachment 19208
But it's still a lot of rig in back and got some great looks:)

Sent from iPhone
More pics of that gorgeous first gen please!?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
W

WillB

May 29, 2017
Churchill,Ontario
Some claim it does
I can't even tell my
sxs...is back there
I struggled for a few
yrs..with 1500 street
trucks,,, to go camp & riding
.....price was right for
2500 HD GMC LongBox. 6.0 L
solved....EVERY towing/hauling
problem I ever had.
Im thinking its time to head that way myself. Been looking at F250 4x4 6.2 Crew Cabs myself. They offer so much more over 1500/150.

Other option is a 5.7 Tundra.

But the Solid Front axle of the Ford is winning me over.

Truck, then P5.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Im thinking its time to head that way myself. Been looking at F250 4x4 6.2 Crew Cabs myself. They offer so much more over 1500/150.

Other option is a 5.7 Tundra.

But the Solid Front axle of the Ford is winning me over.

Truck, then P5.

Everybody got there fav...brand
...going 2500 solved every hauling..
towing...problem that the 1500
....gave me...
I regret. ....nothing in the
2015 GMC Long Box 2500 HD
Purchase

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!