P500 Options for hauling the P500 in a short bed??

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Looks awesome Trigger! What is the tow rating of the hitch now? Was thinking of a similar deal only welding two 2" receivers on my existing class V hitch, then making a similar assembly to carry P5 rear wheels and leave tailgate off. My ramps are similar only narrower when folded they ride between the P5 wheels I've made chaulks (sp?) that hold them in place on the plywood that spreads weight over tailgate and truck box floor.

j

I think it's 4500 lbs. My little 18'er only weighs 3300 dry. Won't be able to load firewood in the back now which kinda sucks and was looking at where I could store ramps. Sits low in the ass so I can't just slide them under. I'll come up with something...but I like the low COG.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Loaded Front Loaded Rear
Had a couple more.

Reactions: JCart
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm sure you stated somewhere but I don't recall, what was the reason you don't just haul it with the tailgate down and the wheels on it?

To pull the camping trailer behind it. Could have went with a simple hitch extension but I think this rig is slightly shorter.
I thought the front tires would sit up as high as the wheel wells and liked the idea of dropping some weight down.
Now it sits even lower. Don't have the corners of the tailgate sticking out either.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
To pull the camping trailer behind it. Could have went with a simple hitch extension but I think this rig is slightly shorter.
I thought the front tires would sit up as high as the wheel wells and liked the idea of dropping some weight down.
Now it sits even lower. Don't have the corners of the tailgate sticking out either.
Gotcha. I do think the lower COG is cool and important for the half ton, not an issue for the HD.

R

Rustell

Trigger.... What's the load capacity of your truck..? 340 lbs tongue weight, 1100 lbs/P500, 100 lbs/Ironman rack, 400 lbs/2 people & gear, 200 lbs/tank of gas. ... That's over 2100 lbs... unless you have a the max tow package you might well be over weight. The load capacity should be on a sticker on your door.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Trigger.... What's the load capacity of your truck..? 340 lbs tongue weight, 1100 lbs/P500, 100 lbs/Ironman rack, 400 lbs/2 people & gear, 200 lbs/tank of gas. ... That's over 2100 lbs... unless you have a the max tow package you might well be over weight. The load capacity should be on a sticker on your door.

Just went and looked. There's 3 numbers, GVW is 7000. Then it says GAV, FT and RR, both are 3950.
It did come with the tow package, didn't know there was a max package though.
These are going on before I hook the trailer too.Airlift

Reactions: rocmar
R

Rustell

Just went and looked. There's 3 numbers, GVW is 7000. Then it says GAV, FT and RR, both are 3950.
It did come with the tow package, didn't know there was a max package though.
These are going on before I hook the trailer too.View attachment 22263

That GVW , I believe, is the maximum weight of your truck and it's cargo. If you know the weight of your truck..subtract that from 7000 and that would be the maximum amount of weight you can put on your truck. For my 2012 F150 4x4 Supercab it's 1640 lbs. Yours will vary depending on your wheelbase and options (weight) added to your truck. It should be on your door pillar usually near the tire information. Those air-bags are a good thing as you are putting a lot of your load behind the rear axle. A load leveling hitch would be a good idea...although that's another 100lbs and I'm not sure what effect the extended hitch would have on that. It can get crazy complicated but you don't want the tail wagging the dog for sure.
GVWR: How To Know Your Vehicle’s Strength

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That GVW , I believe, is the maximum weight of your truck and it's cargo. If you know the weight of your truck..subtract that from 7000 and that would be the maximum amount of weight you can put on your truck. For my 2012 F150 4x4 Supercab it's 1640 lbs. Yours will vary depending on your wheelbase and options (weight) added to your truck. It should be on your door pillar usually near the tire information. Those air-bags are a good thing as you are putting a lot of your load behind the rear axle. A load leveling hitch would be a good idea...although that's another 100lbs and I'm not sure what effect the extended hitch would have on that. It can get crazy complicated but you don't want the tail wagging the dog for sure.
GVWR: How To Know Your Vehicle’s Strength

Half ton trucks have very little payload. I think if I have 4 adults in my truck and a cement block in the bed it's close to max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I just bought arched, folding aluminum 7 ft ramps to run the new P5 into the 6' 6" box of the GMC 2500 Duramax. That tailgate is high, but I secured the ramps with 2 straps each and the P5 went up with no problem at all. I have ITP Mudlite XTR 26 x 9s front and 11s rear on stock rims. It fit nicely between the wheel wells. I drove in front ways. The front bumper of P5 rested up against the front of the truck box. Its a 6' 6" box. No part of the P5 was anywhere near the rear truck glass. Even if I went in hot, I wouldn't touch that glass.

The rear wheels of P5 ended up in the middle of the tailgate. I'm sure that the tailgate can handle that weight. P5 weighs 1,000 lbs... maybe 1,100 lbs geared up. That means 600 lbs on the tailgate. That's just three big boys having a tailgate party. Not a problem. But... because overkill is good, I'll slide in a sheet of 1" plywood to take alot of the rear tire weight off the tailgate.

I'm gonna haul P5 front ways because I'll be going at highway speeds and prefer to have the sloped windshield and sloped hard roof pointed into the wind.

I noticed that I had to load with the P5 driver's door open. It won't open once P5 is loaded. I'm not interested in climbing over a closed door etc. I don't think travelling with an open door will be an issue.

I did my inaugural loading in the dark in the snow so no images available yet.

FYI Al

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I just bought arched, folding aluminum 7 ft ramps to run the new P5 into the 6' 6" box of the GMC 2500 Duramax. That tailgate is high, but I secured the ramps with 2 straps each and the P5 went up with no problem at all. I have ITP Mudlite XTR 26 x 9s front and 11s rear on stock rims. It fit nicely between the wheel wells. I drove in front ways. The front bumper of P5 rested up against the front of the truck box. Its a 6' 6" box. No part of the P5 was anywhere near the rear truck glass. Even if I went in hot, I wouldn't touch that glass.

The rear wheels of P5 ended up in the middle of the tailgate. I'm sure that the tailgate can handle that weight. P5 weighs 1,000 lbs... maybe 1,100 lbs geared up. That means 600 lbs on the tailgate. That's just three big boys having a tailgate party. Not a problem. But... because overkill is good, I'll slide in a sheet of 1" plywood to take alot of the rear tire weight off the tailgate.

I'm gonna haul P5 front ways because I'll be going at highway speeds and prefer to have the sloped windshield and sloped hard roof pointed into the wind.

I noticed that I had to load with the P5 driver's door open. It won't open once P5 is loaded. I'm not interested in climbing over a closed door etc. I don't think travelling with an open door will be an issue.

FYI Al
Kool...bro
but the rule here
.....is pics...or it
never happened
Ride Safe

Reactions: trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Half ton trucks have very little payload. I think if I have 4 adults in my truck and a cement block in the bed it's close to max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1/2 ton trucks
are street trucks...
payload....very minimal. ...
well said ehart

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

FYI Al
Just Bungy the door, it will be fine. I load mine backwards all the time with no problems to roof or windshield. Keeps the weight closer to the front and rides better. But the chief advantage to this is that you can back right up to the back of the cab with no concerns about damage to the bed or back glass on the cab.

Reactions: AlR
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Kool...bro
but the rule here
.....is pics...or it
never happened
Ride Safe

Ok: Succumbed to peer pressure. Here are my pics. Nothing that you seasoned veterans haven't seen. Useful for someone wondering if they can transport a P500 in their truck.

20161214 093043 resized
These are 7 ft aluminum folding ramps. I've used two straps per ramp just to be sure they don't move. The bases slid around on the snow abit.

20161214 093215 resized
The angle isn't bad. After going up and down afew times it got pretty comfortable.

20161214 093708 resized
P5 fit in the 6'6" bed OK. Like I said, the rear wheels are just over half way onto the tailgate. I will put in a sheet of plywood. It was too cold to fool around outside too much. I noticed the truck suspension sank about 2 inches. I tow a 7,000 lbs trailer and have air bags that will take care of any sag. I'm not worried about a lighter front end. The truck weighs 7,500 lbs and it's abit front heavy.

20161214 093518 resized
The image is alittle hard to see, but the Honda front bumper is against the plastic bed-liner. There is no part of the rig that comes close to the rear window of the truck. I did loosen off the winch rope and set the hook and rubber stopper aside. If not, the hook and stopper would be the first thing that bumped against the truck, pushing the rig back about 2", but also wearing the winch rope. So... I'll always hang the hook out of the way when transporting.

20161214 093724 resized
Here's a better idea of where the rear wheels sit on the tailgate.

20161214 093829 resized
And a final shot showing how the tires fit between the wheel wells. This is a GMC 2500 truck with a plastic box liner. I'm sure the liner reduced the width between the truck's wheel wells about 2". The 26 x 9 & 12 ITP Mudlites on stock rims stay pretty close to 50" wide. The P5 went between the wells easily. Acouple of tries I was off angle abit going in. It self-centered going through the wells. Nice.

Last edited:
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Just Bungy the door, it will be fine. I load mine backwards all the time with no problems to roof or windshield. Keeps the weight closer to the front and rides better. But the chief advantage to this is that you can back right up to the back of the cab with no concerns about damage to the bed or back glass on the cab.

OK > Next time I load the rig, I'll try going in backwards. It would make egress easier. And I did bungy the door open.

PS: I have the Honda rear bumper and it protrudes quite abit past the rear tires. I need that bumper for pushing over trees etc... I'll try it backwards :)

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!