P500 Options for hauling the P500 in a short bed??

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
OK > Next time I load the rig, I'll try going in backwards. It would make egress easier. And I did bungy the door open :)
It's a bit of a pucker either way. Backing out or backing in, but once you do it enough, no problem. The rear tires is the first thing to make contact with the front of the bed box and not in the center so you'll not have the damage I got the first time I hauled mine pulled in. Besides, 60% of the P5's weight is rear of center, better ride and easier on the tailgate.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok: Succumbed to peer pressure. Here are my pics. Nothing that you seasoned veterans haven't seen. Useful for someone wondering if they can transport a P500 in their truck.

View attachment 28480
These are 7 ft aluminum folding ramps. I've used two straps per ramp just to be sure they don't move. The bases slid around on the snow abit.

View attachment 28481
The angle isn't bad. After going up and down afew times it got pretty comfortable.

View attachment 28482
P5 fit in the 6'6" bed OK. Like I said, the rear wheels are just over half way onto the tailgate. I will put in a sheet of plywood. It was too cold to fool around outside too much. I noticed the truck suspension sank about 2 inches. I tow a 7,000 lbs trailer and have air bags that will take care of any sag. I'm not worried about a lighter front end. The truck weighs 7,500 lbs and it's abit front heavy.

View attachment 28483
The image is alittle hard to see, but the Honda front bumper is against the plastic bed-liner. There is no part of the rig that comes close to the rear window of the truck. I did loosen off the winch rope and set the hook and rubber stopper aside. If not, the hook and stopper would be the first thing that bumped against the truck, pushing the rig back about 2", but also wearing the winch rope. So... I'll always hang the hook out of the way when transporting.

View attachment 28484
Here's a better idea of where the rear wheels sit on the tailgate.

View attachment 28485
And a final shot showing how the tires fit between the wheel wells. This is a GMC 2500 truck with a plastic box liner. I'm sure the liner reduced the width between the truck's wheel wells but 2". The 26 x 9 & 12 ITP Mudlites on stock rims stay pretty close to 50" wide. The P5 went between the wells easily. Acouple of tries I was off angle abit going in. It self-centered going through the wells. Nice.
I can tell you that that can still bow the bed box. Particularly if you have a sudden braking event. With the pressure right in the center, I wouldn't ratchet your buggy up tight like that, I'm pretty sure you'll have damage.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Ok: Succumbed to peer pressure. Here are my pics. Nothing that you seasoned veterans haven't seen. Useful for someone wondering if they can transport a P500 in their truck.

View attachment 28480
These are 7 ft aluminum folding ramps. I've used two straps per ramp just to be sure they don't move. The bases slid around on the snow abit.

View attachment 28481
The angle isn't bad. After going up and down afew times it got pretty comfortable.

View attachment 28482
P5 fit in the 6'6" bed OK. Like I said, the rear wheels are just over half way onto the tailgate. I will put in a sheet of plywood. It was too cold to fool around outside too much. I noticed the truck suspension sank about 2 inches. I tow a 7,000 lbs trailer and have air bags that will take care of any sag. I'm not worried about a lighter front end. The truck weighs 7,500 lbs and it's abit front heavy.

View attachment 28483
The image is alittle hard to see, but the Honda front bumper is against the plastic bed-liner. There is no part of the rig that comes close to the rear window of the truck. I did loosen off the winch rope and set the hook and rubber stopper aside. If not, the hook and stopper would be the first thing that bumped against the truck, pushing the rig back about 2", but also wearing the winch rope. So... I'll always hang the hook out of the way when transporting.

View attachment 28484

View attachment 28485
And a final shot showing how the tires fit between the wheel wells. This is a GMC 2500 truck with a plastic box liner. I'm sure the liner reduced the width between the truck's wheel wells but 2". The 26 x 9 & 12 ITP Mudlites on stock rims stay pretty close to 50" wide. The P5 went between the wells easily. Acouple of tries I was off angle abit going in. It self-centered going through the wells. Nice.

Kool bro...
great review....
& pics
seasoned veteran...I'm not bro
still learning everyday
thanks for sharing

Reactions: AlR and trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 28480

View attachment 28481

View attachment 28482

View attachment 28483

View attachment 28484

View attachment 28485

GMC......
....BadAss......

Reactions: AlR and trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
OK > Next time I load the rig, I'll try going in backwards. It would make egress easier. And I did bungy the door open.

PS: I have the Honda rear bumper and it protrudes quite abit past the rear tires. I need that bumper for pushing over trees etc... I'll try it backwards :)

Nice truck...
should of got the long box
like I did solved all my hauling
problem...

20160729 094249 20160729 094229 20160414 191052

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My thought of going backwards is having the weight more over the axle
Not sure if it would make a difference
Some claim it does
I can't even tell my
sxs...is back there
I struggled for a few
yrs..with 1500 street
trucks,,, to go camp & riding
.....price was right for
2500 HD GMC LongBox. 6.0 L
solved....EVERY towing/hauling
problem I ever had.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Wat kinda truck......
think it's a slight
heavier in the back...
but not by much

advertisement
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Wat kinda truck......
think it's a slight
heavier in the back...
but not by much
Like you said street truck
Chev 1500 short box
I have a trailer that I'm thinking about converting to a ice shack I like to pull it with the p5
That set up I think is perfect
I can disconnect trailer get down P5 hook up shack and go

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Nice truck...

My last long box was dad's '68 Chev. I like the short box to be able to do u-turns on the tighter logging trails. But I definitely have wished for the 8 foot box at times.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, it makes a big difference. 60% of the P5's weight is rear of center. I haul mine backed in all the time, use to pull it in, but the ride is better and it's easier on the tailgate. This is especially true if you're in a 1500 and not an HD.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, it makes a big difference. 60% of the P5's weight is rear of center. I haul mine backed in all the time, use to pull it in, but the ride is better and it's easier on the tailgate. This is especially true if you're in a 1500 and not an HD.
He hauls his backward...
cause one more hit with
the front is gonna break his window
look at pick of his truck....
that's operater error like
20 times....
haha

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Kool..I'll keep driven
Till I can turn around...
have never wished for a
short bed.....ever
like I said...this truck solved all my
hauling/ camping problems

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Look at the pic....
new truck...
you wanna take advice
On how to load a sxs
from this guy....
point made.....

Downloadfile 21

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
OK > Next time I load the rig, I'll try going in backwards. It would make egress easier. And I did bungy the door open.

PS: I have the Honda rear bumper and it protrudes quite abit past the rear tires. I need that bumper for pushing over trees etc... I'll try it backwards :)
Don't forget tailgate supports. You can get them at Cabelas or Amazon.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Nice truck...
problem...

I see that you can still hook up your trailer with the tailgate down. My toy hauler tongue jack prevents me from dropping the tailgate. I'm going to start the research and hunt for a receiver extension. Kinda sucks because it's a 7,000 trailer and I use a weight-distributing hitch.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I see that you can still hook up your trailer with the tailgate down. My toy hauler tongue jack prevents me from dropping the tailgate. I'm going to start the research and hunt for a receiver extension. Kinda sucks because it's a 7,000 trailer and I use a weight-distributing hitch.
.....had one
18".....extender... $100
NOTE:::: using an extender
you lose a 1/3 of your tounge
weight....just a heads up

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!