P1000 commonly raised issues

R

RodRocket

Like many out there, I am waiting on delivery of a new P1000-5, ordered in June and no idea when it will turn up. Was told 3 months, now 6 month plus, hey maybe ++.
Before I get jumped on with "no pics.....", I can show some pics of my Yamaha Rhino, which I plan to sell before I take the Pioneer, if that will suffice for now.
However, while I am waiting, I read and follow a lot on the various forums.
In terms of quality and reliability, I am a real big fan and believer in Honda as a leading global manufacturer.
I mention this because I am questioning two relatively common P1000 problems often being discussed on the forums: heat build up under the seat(s), and burnt-out or over-loaded dual clutch assemblies.
I find these somewhat worrying, particularly coming from the Honda product.
Firstly, it seems the heat problem has been around for a good while, so why is it still a problem in 2021, 2022, and maybe beyond? If many resourceful Honda SxS members can come up with various solutions, surely Honda Engineering could have done a fully designed and professional upgrade/fix by now.
Secondly, I decided to buy a Honda P1000 over all the other SxS makes and brands out, for one important reason, no variable belt transmission. But now I read that there needs to be some considerable care/precaution taken not to do major damage to the dual clutch assemblies. It seems these vulnerable to damage clutch assemblies may be just as common and expensive to fix as broken transmission belts are in the other brands of SxS.
Any how, I intend to be very careful and look after my new P1000-5 when I finally get it. But we have very rough and hilly country so I will have to stay mostly in low range, to be sure, to be sure.

YRhino 700

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my opinion, the two concerns you have (heat and clutch) are really non issues. The heat problem is solved with reflective foil under the front seat and extending up under the seat back 6-8 inches. The clutch issues have been taken care of. Use low range if you’re riding in rough country consistently under 5-10 mph or climbing a lot of rock steps. If you’re doing a lot of technical crawling in rocks you’ll need to bump the rocks so the tires keep rotating. If you pull up against an immovable object and stall forward motion with the machine, then try to apply power without the tires turning, you could damage the clutches. They don’t work like a torque convertor. 1000 rpm the clutches are disengaged and at around 1800 rpm they’re fully engaged. Only allow the clutches to slip if they are under very minimal loading (like maneuvering into a parking spot in your garage).

I ride in some of the toughest conditions here in southern Arizona (22 mile trail in 5-3/4 hrs) and have had no problem. Riding in 100 degree + temperatures isn’t a lot of fun, but it’s not because of the heat coming up from the seat.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with what was previously stated. You could add a fan under the seat as that helps alot too. The heat fix is easy and cheap.

Also make sure your shift cables are properly adjusted. Slack in the lines causes grinding that will damage the transmission. It is easy to do yourself as well.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Like many out there, I am waiting on delivery of a new P1000-5, ordered in June and no idea when it will turn up. Was told 3 months, now 6 month plus, hey maybe ++.
Before I get jumped on with "no pics.....", I can show some pics of my Yamaha Rhino, which I plan to sell before I take the Pioneer, if that will suffice for now.
However, while I am waiting, I read and follow a lot on the various forums.
In terms of quality and reliability, I am a real big fan and believer in Honda as a leading global manufacturer.
I mention this because I am questioning two relatively common P1000 problems often being discussed on the forums: heat build up under the seat(s), and burnt-out or over-loaded dual clutch assemblies.
I find these somewhat worrying, particularly coming from the Honda product.
Firstly, it seems the heat problem has been around for a good while, so why is it still a problem in 2021, 2022, and maybe beyond? If many resourceful Honda SxS members can come up with various solutions, surely Honda Engineering could have done a fully designed and professional upgrade/fix by now.
Secondly, I decided to buy a Honda P1000 over all the other SxS makes and brands out, for one important reason, no variable belt transmission. But now I read that there needs to be some considerable care/precaution taken not to do major damage to the dual clutch assemblies. It seems these vulnerable to damage clutch assemblies may be just as common and expensive to fix as broken transmission belts are in the other brands of SxS.
Any how, I intend to be very careful and look after my new P1000-5 when I finally get it. But we have very rough and hilly country so I will have to stay mostly in low range, to be sure, to be sure.

View attachment 309498
Been a Honda guy my whole life, started with an XR75 when I was 13.

After being jerked around for a year trying to buy a Pioneer, I jumped at a chance to get a Yamaha Wolverine X2 XTR.

I have come to realize that although it was more money than I intended to spend, the advantages of of Yamaha are well worth it.

The comfort, suspension, power steering and power is well worth the money.

And as far as the belt goes, I would rather change a belt than a transmission.

Honda has been slacking with the SXS's, their main concern is always the automobiles and everything else comes second or third.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Welcome to the forum. It's good to see a member from "down under."

You are correct to a point in your observations and opinions about Honda. Honda is a great world-wide manufacturer. But even their top of the line Accord, Odyssey, and Pilot transmit a lot of road noise into the passenger compartment when driven on the chip-seal blacktop pavement of Texas. I know this from owning and driving their cars.

The cabs are hot and noisy if you add a windshield, hard top, and back panel. The opinions you have read about the DCT are not correct. The issue can be improved with insulation.

Contrary to what you have read, the DCT is well-engineered and manufactured. There is nothing wrong with it. The same design, perhaps the identical unit, is used behind a far more powerful 1832 cc high performance Goldwing motorcycle engine. A similar design has been used in successfully in Volkswagens behind the high-torque turbodiesel engines since 2009. I owned and loved a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

Owners who have problems with the DCT in their Pioneer 1000 do not understand it and do not use it properly.

The DCT is essentially two tiny three speed mechanical geared transmissions, each with a mechanical clutch assembly. Once contains gears 1-3-5 and the other gears 2-4-6. The two gear trains with clutches are combined in one housing controlled by a mini-computer.

When the unit is not moving the computer selects 1st gear and when engine rpm rises above idle speed the computer begins engaging the 1st gear clutch. As the unit begins rolling the computer ques up the 2nd gear clutch and 2nd gear. When a specified speed is reached, depending on throttle opening (demand) the computer disengages 1st gear clutch and engages 2nd gear clutch. And so on up to 6th gear. As the buggy slows the DCT downshifts back to 11st gear providing engine braking on downhill runs. It's a great system.

I'll now assume you are knowledgeable of ordinary cars and trucks with a manual transmission. You know that if you place the front wheels of a manual transmission car against a curb or other obstacle, select first gear, and begin engaging the clutch at low to moderate rpm the car will not be capable of jumping the curb or obstacle but the clutch will be slipping, generating extreme heat, and will quickly be destroyed. A skilled driver does not do that.

That is precisely what is happening if you encounter a log or large rock in a trail and stall your Pioneer 1000 against that object. The DCT computer will begin engagement of the clutch as you apply throttle. If the Pioneer is unable to quickly climb over the object the driver must either back off, leave a space between the buggy and the object and try again, or go around it. If the Pioneer is stalled against an immovable object and the DCT clutch is allowed to slip, it will be overheated and will fail.

This is occurring with some owners and they're blaming Honda when the problem is caused by abuse due to a lack of understanding. Young Americans under about age 40 learned to drive in cars with automatic transmissions. They do not understand manual transmission cars with driver-controlled manual clutches.

These young people assume the DCT is like their mother's car with an automatic transmission and torque converter. A torque converter uses fluid coupling, oil between a rotor and stator for illustration. When stalled but not moving the fluid will overheat but permanent damage usually does not occur.

The DCT does not employ a torque converter and cannot tolerate stalling against a load.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Why would we jump on you for no pics, you haven't received your Pioneer yet Lol.
Thanks for sharing pics of your other machine tho. hope u get your Pioneer soon 👍
Ya see deputy, you got the newbies all runnin scared…..😂😂😂

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
  • Haha
Reactions: TripleB
R

RodRocket

I fully understand the requirements to adhere to written, unwritten or implied organizational policies and maintaining standards. Every well-structured organization has them. If not, the organization becomes a free-for-all and eventually loses it's way and purpose, along with the patronage and support of the members.
Most voluntary organizations have their "sergeant-at-arms" to subtly, or otherwise, keep things in check.
So, as they say, "rules is rules".

Reactions: Biteme
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!