P500 p5 suspension

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mounted 10 Eibach springs with 1/2" of preload , no loss of clearance , left measurement note at the shop , will get it tomorrow.
IMG 20161217 173042245
IMG 20161217 213015833
IMG 20161217 213030391
IMG 20161217 213044697

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes and yes. Still don't know if we can get that much travel in the rear yet without interference or CV binding- I just haven't had room in the shop, or time for that matter. I'm going to make steel filler bushings to fill that 5/8" hole in the gabriels tomorrow- instead of using the hard rubber hose that I installed for testing the shocks I have installed now.
Yes, I understand the need for steel bushings. I don't know that the rear articulation is as important as the front, maybe it is. I just know that I'm very interested in this modification and will continue to watch as you develope it. Thank you for taking the time to share it here.

Reactions: Shadesmn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: solrus
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@solrus how do you like the new springs ?
No report yet, rear rack is taken off, once I put snorkel and and rear rack with spare then will take for a spin. Will show u a table with numbers once back in shop.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No report yet, rear rack is taken off, once I put snorkel and and rear rack with spare then will take for a spin. Will show u a table with numbers once back in shop.

What are the Walker Evans devices either side of the shocks?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes those are shocks, but the spring somehow way more than same Progressive shocks for Rhino ( 110-160lbs) , WE spring is 250 lbs, May be for extreme jumping racing. So I replaced springs to 175 lbs hoping now that I can use fully all shocks adjusters

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Mounted 10 Eibach springs with 1/2" of preload , no loss of clearance , left measurement note at the shop , will get it tomorrow.View attachment 28770View attachment 28771View attachment 28772View attachment 28773

Looks fantastic! Really nice install. I hope mine turns out as nicely. Are there going to be any clearance issues between the tires and the reservoirs? A loose tire chain could get ugly fast. Looking forward to the ride test results.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, I understand the need for steel bushings. I don't know that the rear articulation is as important as the front, maybe it is. I just know that I'm very interested in this modification and will continue to watch as you develope it. Thank you for taking the time to share it here.
Here's a couple pics of the Gabriels with the stockers, and the bushings I made today- the ones in the pic still needed to be cut in half, which I did do, but forgot to take a picture of when I was done. Now I just need space in the shop!
DSC01089
DSC01093

bikeman

bikeman

Nov 23, 2016
smithfield utah
Ownership

1. 500
Yup, I read that one too, and I'll bet that they're going to work fine for what the rhino guy is doing. No, you can't get the same articulation with the stock shocks- they don't have as much stroke as the air shocks, and the amount of weight it takes to compress the stockers fully is crazy. When on the H.F. trails, I took mine up a double black-no utv's allowed trail (by mistake), and got to a point where the machine was teetering on the left rear, and right front wheels, and of course, with one front wheel off the ground, no front drive. So, with me- 240lbs, slid over to the passenger side, my nephew-175lbs, standing on the front bumper, and one of my buddies-290lbs standing on the passenger side hanging onto the cage, we still could not get the front suspension compressed to get the other wheel on the ground, so adding another shock/spring is not going to help. Again, the reason for doubling the hi-jackers is durability. I did find a company (Ride Tech) that makes an air shock designed specifically for UTV's, and have capacity to run single. As far as I can tell, they are about $800 each. That price might be per pair, but it sure looks like per shock on the web site....I can replace a bunch of blown up hi-jackers for that kind of $$$
i have been looking all over the internet for air shocks, the ones at ride tech are what you want if you have several thousand dollars you dont know what to do with unfortunately i dont. i have looked in other automotive applications but they are to long with the exception of the gabriel you research out. your point is taken adding an air shock would only help with ground clearance not articlulation so much for that idea. after the first of the year i will buy the shocks and begin the process of adaptation. my machine is still under warranty untill june so i am a little hesitant to modify the frame structure just yet. but i can do the engineering in the meantime. be waiting to see how the mods turns out

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

i have been looking all over the internet for air shocks, the ones at ride tech are what you want if you have several thousand dollars you dont know what to do with unfortunately i dont. i have looked in other automotive applications but they are to long with the exception of the gabriel you research out. your point is taken adding an air shock would only help with ground clearance not articlulation so much for that idea. after the first of the year i will buy the shocks and begin the process of adaptation. my machine is still under warranty untill june so i am a little hesitant to modify the frame structure just yet. but i can do the engineering in the meantime. be waiting to see how the mods turns out
Wait, I'm confused, I thought he said the travel went from 5.9" to 11" and posted videos showing the increased articulation and how the wheels stayed on the ground now????

C

Chooglin

Wait, I'm confused, I thought he said the travel went from 5.9" to 11" and posted videos showing the increased articulation and how the wheels stayed on the ground now????
I think @bikeman is confused , you are correct monte!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here's a couple pics of the Gabriels with the stockers, and the bushings I made today- the ones in the pic still needed to be cut in half, which I did do, but forgot to take a picture of when I was done. Now I just need space in the shop!View attachment 28809 View attachment 28810
I don't ride all that aggressively and only bottomed out once for the first time last week and that was trying to keep up with a couple 1000's. So I'm going to give this mod a go. What is the material that you purchased for the bushings, and where did you find it? Thank you.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think @bikeman is confused , you are correct monte!
Oh dear, thank you. I was about to be really frustrated trying to figure this out, lol.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks fantastic! Really nice install. I hope mine turns out as nicely. Are there going to be any clearance issues between the tires and the reservoirs? A loose tire chain could get ugly fast. Looking forward to the ride test results.

No issues, no loose chain ends, I trimmed chains. I dont see problems unless they break.

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I don't ride all that aggressively and only bottomed out once for the first time last week and that was trying to keep up with a couple 1000's. So I'm going to give this mod a go. What is the material that you purchased for the bushings, and where did you find it? Thank you.
I just went to the hardware store (Ace) and bought a piece of 5/8" steel rod. I cut it into lengths that were short enough for a 3/8 drill bit to go fully through, chucked em up in the lathe and drilled. I should have cut them to the correct length first and then drilled, but like I said before- I screw up alot. The top holes are 7/16, and are a little sloppy on the stock 10mm bolts, so when I make the brackets for the double shock set up, I'm going to use 7/16 bolts on top, and 3/8, grade 8's on the bottom.. If you do just the singles, buy fittings to inflate the shocks separately, and add a valve so you can let the shocks 'see' each other when you need max articulation. If the shocks are isolated, 140 psi might be adequate for you, but I still think they'll need to be at about 160psi for everyday riding. If you bush the lower end of the hi jackers to 10mm, you could easily swap the stockers back in on the trail if needed.
EDIT: These shocks need to be doubled on each wheel, or they may fail quickly due to the excessive pressure required to carry the weight of the machine

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just went to the hardware store (Ace) and bought a piece of 5/8" steel rod. I cut it into lengths that were short enough for a 3/8 drill bit to go fully through, chucked em up in the lathe and drilled. I should have cut them to the correct length first and then drilled, but like I said before- I screw up alot. The top holes are 7/16, and are a little sloppy on the stock 10mm bolts, so when I make the brackets for the double shock set up, I'm going to use 7/16 bolts on top, and 3/8, grade 8's on the bottom.. If you do just the singles, buy fittings to inflate the shocks separately, and add a valve so you can let the shocks 'see' each other when you need max articulation. If the shocks are isolated, 140 psi might be adequate for you, but I still think they'll need to be at about 160psi for everyday riding. If you bush the lower end of the hi jackers to 10mm, you could easily swap the stockers back in on the trail if needed.
Thanks JWB. I'm not sure what you mean by a valve that lets them see each other?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!