P500 p5 suspension

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks JWB. I'm not sure what you mean by a valve that lets them see each other?
It would be a valve in an air line that crosses over from one shock to the other that could be closed to isolate each shock, or when open, would allow the shocks to share 'see' airflow between them so that when going over very rough terrain- deep ruts, rocks, etc., the shock that is being compressed would force excess pressure through the line into the other shock, helping to plant the other wheel more firmly on the ground, and it also allows the shock being compressed to do so with less resistance because the air pressure would equalize between the shocks allowing for better articulation and evenly spreads weight to both wheels= traction. With the valve closed, it would help cornering, and reduce body roll by not allowing pressure to leave the shock being compressed and have the same effect as a 'progressive' spring, since air pressure will increase exponentially as the shock compresses. Since I presently have mine set up with a single fill point, my shocks 'see' each other all the time. Body roll isn't terrible, but it's noticeable, and my rsb is removed which probably isn't helping much. Hope this helps.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It would be a valve in an air line that crosses over from one shock to the other that could be closed to isolate each shock, or when open, would allow the shocks to share 'see' airflow between them so that when going over very rough terrain- deep ruts, rocks, etc., the shock that is being compressed would force excess pressure through the line into the other shock, helping to plant the other wheel more firmly on the ground, and it also allows the shock being compressed to do so with less resistance because the air pressure would equalize between the shocks allowing for better articulation and evenly spreads weight to both wheels= traction. With the valve closed, it would help cornering, and reduce body roll by not allowing pressure to leave the shock being compressed and have the same effect as a 'progressive' spring, since air pressure will increase exponentially as the shock compresses. Since I presently have mine set up with a single fill point, my shocks 'see' each other all the time. Body roll isn't terrible, but it's noticeable, and my rsb is removed which probably isn't helping much. Hope this helps.
Yes, thank you for taking the time, very much appreciated. Would this valve be in the cab, and something that you then open and close as you go along according to the terrain?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, thank for taking the time, very much appreciated. Would this valve be in the cab, and something that you then open and close as you go along according to the terrain?
You're very welcome! Yes, check out this panel mount valve on ebay. Item [HASHTAG]#182040029851[/HASHTAG]. You could use a 12v solenoid valve and a switch instead, but I didn't want to add more trouble prone electronics than absolutely necessary to my machine. I work on boats for a living, so I see what water does to all that stuff every day. I try to live by the K.I.S.S. principal. - 8 air shocks, 6 air valves, an air compressor, air lines, adapters, pressure gauge, home fab'd mounts and bushings is simple.. RIGHT? It's a disease, not an addiction:D

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You're very welcome! Yes, check out this panel mount valve on ebay. Item [HASHTAG]#182040029851[/HASHTAG]. You could use a 12v solenoid valve and a switch instead, but I didn't want to add more trouble prone electronics than absolutely necessary to my machine. I work on boats for a living, so I see what water does to all that stuff every day. I try to live by the K.I.S.S. principal. - 8 air shocks, 6 air valves, an air compressor, air lines, adapters, pressure gauge, home fab'd mounts and bushings is simple.. RIGHT? It's a disease, not an addiction:D
Lol, thank you! I'll be gathering the components over the next few weeks and doing this mod when I'm in my buddy's shop doing a bunch of other mods in January. I'm probably not done picking your brain on this, but I'll be easy on you and not abuse the privilege.

C

Chooglin

Finished up the drivers side tonight and tac welded the passenger side. I will finish this up tomorrow and take it for a spin on Friday

I will report back with my thoughts on the new setup !!!
20161221 181250 20161221 194708 20161221 194721 20161221 195517 20161221 195531 20161221 203037 20161221 203053

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Finished up the drivers side tonight and tac welded the passenger side. I will finish this up tomorrow and take it for a spin on Friday

I will report back with my thoughts on the new setup !!!
View attachment 29103 View attachment 29104 View attachment 29105 View attachment 29106 View attachment 29107 View attachment 29108 View attachment 29109
Just wondering what angle you are mounting the springs and how you came up with that angle to be the most effective,

C

Chooglin

Just wondering what angle you are mounting the springs and how you came up with that angle to be the most effective,
I never really tried to come up with a certain angle to use. The first time I mounted them , there was way to much angle (roughly 45*). My only option was to move the top Mount ,to the outside of the frame. There is now less angle than the stock setup.

I really think (as someone has mentioned already) it's best to keep the bottom mount inward on the a-arm.

In order to keep/retain the stock mounts , i had to make new mounts and reposition them !

Last edited by a moderator:
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I never really tried to come up with a certain angle to use. The first time I mounted them , there was way to much angle (roughly 45*). My only option was to move the top Mount ,to the outside of the frame. There is now less angle than the stock setup.

I really think (as someone has mentioned already) it's best to keep the bottom mount inward on the a-arm.

In order to keep/retain the stock mounts , i had to make new mounts and reposition them !
There is a formula they use for shocks,l think straight up is full usage, on a 200 lb shock would be getting the full use ,put that same shock at 20 degree you are getting 80 percent ,once you get down to 45 degree you are getting,50 percent or 100 lbs. out of your shock, but being they are adjustable it probably isn't as important.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
The brackets fit perfectly- Nice job! Good pictures too, thanks for that, it's given me a little more insight for mounting my air shocks. Looking forward to your first ride results.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
nice work (as usual) @Chooglin !!! I like the way you do things. I hope it works out better than expected!

C

Chooglin

Thanks guys , if it ends up not working out , at least the stock mounts have more bracing on them now..........lol

C

Chooglin

Completed the suspension upgrade today and went for a spin.

My thoughts are , these spring are just to Damn stiff , stiffer than a "morning woody"

So I will be on a quest to find some softer coils to put on the progressive shocks.If anybody knows of a softer coil that will fit these shocks , please let me know !

The coils that are on these shocks are rated at 285/485 . I would like to try a spring rated around 200/350 !!!

Reactions: ghost and trigger
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Completed the suspension upgrade today and went for a spin.

My thoughts are , these spring are just to Damn stiff , stiffer than a "morning woody"

So I will be on a quest to find some softer coils to put on the progressive shocks.If anybody knows of a softer coil that will fit these shocks , please let me know !

The coils that are on these shocks are rated at 285/485 . I would like to try a spring rated around 200/350 !!!

Well that's a bummer.... This hasn't been the easiest of projects for you...

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Well that's a bummer.... This hasn't been the easiest of projects for you...
No it hasn't , but I have enjoyed doing it and not sorry I did it. Hopefully we have all learned from it.

The reason I am convinced it's the coils and not the bracket setup , if you look at this picture of a stock Rhino rear suspension, it is much like the setup I have now. The top mounts are welded to the outside of the top frame and the bottom is outward on the a-arm. The angle of the shocks even look the same or very close to the same !
Screenshot 2016 11 26 07 29 33 20161221 203037

Last edited by a moderator:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here's a couple pics of the Gabriels with the stockers, and the bushings I made today- the ones in the pic still needed to be cut in half, which I did do, but forgot to take a picture of when I was done. Now I just need space in the shop!View attachment 28809 View attachment 28810
Another forum member has offered to make the bushings for me that I'll need, I assume there's four and that they are all the same. Can you confirm that and provide me with the OD/ID and lengths on those @JWB?? Thank you.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No it hasn't , but I have enjoyed doing it and not sorry I did it. Hopefully we have all learned from it.

The reason I am convinced it's the coils and not the bracket setup , if you look at this picture of a stock Rhino rear suspension, it is much like the setup I have now. The top mounts are welded to the outside of the top frame and the bottom is outward on the a-arm. The angle of the shocks even look the same or very close to the same !
View attachment 29246 View attachment 29247
I have 250 lbs 12" 1.88" id springs from front shocks. Can u use them?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chooglin
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there anyway to measure spring rates on Oem shocks front and rear????

C

Chooglin

I have 250 lbs 12" 1.88" id springs from front shocks. Can u use them?

@solrus I will check the ID and length of the springs and get back with you. If they will work , I would be interested in them.

Are they dual rate springs ?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!