P500 p5 suspension

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
to anyone out there wanting to do the air suspension i have 8 of the gabriel shocks used for the mod i took them off and have since sold the pioneer 500 and and bought a cf moto 800 which is more suited to my type of riding give me a call cell 435 757 2050 i live in northern utah the shocks have aproximately 300 miles on them. i will sell them for half the cost of new see attached picture.

View attachment 54366
How bout some pics of the new machine!? I looked at the cf moto's last night- they look good, and go like hell- still using the cvt though. Geared low enough for crawling?

bikeman

bikeman

Nov 23, 2016
smithfield utah
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry the Honda didn't work out for you. Love to hear how the new machine does over time.
jwb i will be going on the cruise on oct 11th text me your cell and address if i get anywhere near where you live i will look you up. the new machine doesnt need any mods per se. it comes with a winch better tires 14inch wheels, adjustable suspension,and a roof all i need to do is put a windshield on it. i build my own and have automotive safety glass put in. for my week long trips with my brothers i can take the passenger seat out and strap a cargo box for all my possibles i got a hell of deal on it. it was a 2016 with 275 miles i gave 8350.00 for it. a new one with street legal kit which this has goes for 11,000.00 there was only one for sale in utah so i really lucked out . i sold the pioneer for 8000.00 thru in the snowplow, the compressor, and a rotopax fuel tank the guy didnt want the air shocks. said he did not ride difficult trails he only wanted it for elk hunting. i test drove a cfmoto that i guy a work with has. climbed a steep hill that angled went right up it, i think the honda would got unstable because of the high center of gravity. i hope that it is the machine i think it is. because i own it now i will let you know how it rides. i may ride this week end, i dont know, it snowed up high and is cold and raining. and i am not done with the windshield, here is the picture of the machine. i will keep you posted how it turns out. ps. i about bawled when the guy that bought the pioneer drove off, i had so much fun modifing the machine. cell phone 435 757 2050

20170916 192522

Reactions: JWB
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I looked at the CFmoto, our Honda dealer has them. I could find zero fault with them, nice beefy suspension and in retrospect maybe I should have purchased one of those but I am concerned about the dealership dropping them and leaving me high and dry, witch is a weak excuse because I would not use a dealer for much, just catastrophic failures.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
jwb i will be going on the cruise on oct 11th text me your cell and address if i get anywhere near where you live i will look you up. the new machine doesnt need any mods per se. it comes with a winch better tires 14inch wheels, adjustable suspension,and a roof all i need to do is put a windshield on it. i build my own and have automotive safety glass put in. for my week long trips with my brothers i can take the passenger seat out and strap a cargo box for all my possibles i got a hell of deal on it. it was a 2016 with 275 miles i gave 8350.00 for it. a new one with street legal kit which this has goes for 11,000.00 there was only one for sale in utah so i really lucked out . i sold the pioneer for 8000.00 thru in the snowplow, the compressor, and a rotopax fuel tank the guy didnt want the air shocks. said he did not ride difficult trails he only wanted it for elk hunting. i test drove a cfmoto that i guy a work with has. climbed a steep hill that angled went right up it, i think the honda would got unstable because of the high center of gravity. i hope that it is the machine i think it is. because i own it now i will let you know how it rides. i may ride this week end, i dont know, it snowed up high and is cold and raining. and i am not done with the windshield, here is the picture of the machine. i will keep you posted how it turns out. ps. i about bawled when the guy that bought the pioneer drove off, i had so much fun modifing the machine. cell phone 435 757 2050

View attachment 54517
Done! Just sent you a text. I have a new perspective and possibly understanding as to why you decided to go with the cf-moto.
I just got back from 4 days of H/M trails & Spearhead trails, and did a group ride with a group of RZR 1000's, a Terrex, my brother on the Polaris 850 H.O. Scrambler, and there was also a 50" Polaris 900- can't remember the model.... In the woods and tight trails, I was feelin really good about the P500, and with the suspension mods, the little machine did really well, but that's where it ends. The ridiculously limited top speed was embarrassing. Even the 50" Polaris would do 50+ m.p.h. while I'm bouncing the rev limiter at 41, and on anything but very tight trails the lack of power was glaring.... and, the lack of a locking diff, yet again, got me in a bad situation on a very, very steep hill, where my air set-up truly did save my a** because I was able to lean the machine into the hill and turn around- very, very scary... At this point, if anyone comes out with a machine like my Honda, with a real geared trans, and the power and options the cf-moto has, the Honda is history- and I won't feel bad about it. If I wasn't so dead set against CVT's, ( I don't trust the DCT's yet) I'd be at a dealership today. As a side note, the resort we stayed at has a P1000-5- The employees hate using it because of clutch chatter, and just all round "jerkiness", and of the three guys I talked to that owned the P1000's- two of those were brand new 2018's, one of them was riding with a buddy in a razor 1000, because his 6 week old machine fried the clutches..... I will post that info on the P1000 clutch thread.

bikeman

bikeman

Nov 23, 2016
smithfield utah
Ownership

1. 500
Done! Just sent you a text. I have a new perspective and possibly understanding as to why you decided to go with the cf-moto.
I just got back from 4 days of H/M trails & Spearhead trails, and did a group ride with a group of RZR 1000's, a Terrex, my brother on the Polaris 850 H.O. Scrambler, and there was also a 50" Polaris 900- can't remember the model.... In the woods and tight trails, I was feelin really good about the P500, and with the suspension mods, the little machine did really well, but that's where it ends. The ridiculously limited top speed was embarrassing. Even the 50" Polaris would do 50+ m.p.h. while I'm bouncing the rev limiter at 41, and on anything but very tight trails the lack of power was glaring.... and, the lack of a locking diff, yet again, got me in a bad situation on a very, very steep hill, where my air set-up truly did save my a** because I was able to lean the machine into the hill and turn around- very, very scary... At this point, if anyone comes out with a machine like my Honda, with a real geared trans, and the power and options the cf-moto has, the Honda is history- and I won't feel bad about it. If I wasn't so dead set against CVT's, ( I don't trust the DCT's yet) I'd be at a dealership today. As a side note, the resort we stayed at has a P1000-5- The employees hate using it because of clutch chatter, and just all round "jerkiness", and of the three guys I talked to that owned the P1000's- two of those were brand new 2018's, one of them was riding with a buddy in a razor 1000, because his 6 week old machine fried the clutches..... I will post that info on the P1000 clutch thread.

jwb not sure why i didnt get your text but it didnt come thru here is my cell again 435 757 2050. i should have my windshield done in time for a ride this weekend i will post how it works out.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
CORRECTION- THE GUY WITH THE BURNT CLUTCHES DID NOT SAY IT WAS A 2018- HE SAID "BRAND NEW WITH LESS THAN 100 MILES"... MIGHT HAVE BEEN A 2017

C

Chooglin

I am just throwing this out there for anyone looking for a cheaper alternative to everything that has been done or tried on the p500 suspension so far.

As of now I am running the Progressive 425 shocks with100-150 spring rate. I like the ride and feel of the front suspension for what time and money I have in it. ($400 and about 5 hrs. Time)

Now comes the rear. Anybody who has read or followed this thread , knows what I have tried to do ,to get the Progressive 425 HD shocks to work on the rear without moving the top shock mount. Moving the top Mount is definitely the way to make these shocks work/fit , but I did not want to cut and move the mount ,just in case someone came out with a bolt on shock.

As you all know Walkers Evans has a bolt on shock now and I am sure they are well worth the money , but I just can't get myself to spend that much right now.

So this is where I am with the rear suspension now. I drilled out the bushing in the front stock shocks and moved them to the rear. I had to use some spacers between the shock mount and the shock bushing to make them fit. The ride is incredibly different from the original rear shocks (much smoother/softer).many of you will say "but now you can't adjust them" well , I rarely adjusted them before ,once I had them set where I wanted them anyhow and the ride sucked no matter where I set them!

So anyway , anybody that is looking for a much better ride over the stock setup , this is another alternative that would cost you roughly $400 and some of your time!

Thanks for listening to me ramble!!!!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I am just throwing this out there for anyone looking for a cheaper alternative to everything that has been done or tried on the p500 suspension so far.

As of now I am running the Progressive 425 shocks with100-150 spring rate. I like the ride and feel of the front suspension for what time and money I have in it. ($400 and about 5 hrs. Time)

Now comes the rear. Anybody who has read or followed this thread , knows what I have tried to do ,to get the Progressive 425 HD shocks to work on the rear without moving the top shock mount. Moving the top Mount is definitely the way to make these shocks work/fit , but I did not want to cut and move the mount ,just in case someone came out with a bolt on shock.

As you all know Walkers Evans has a bolt on shock now and I am sure they are well worth the money , but I just can't get myself to spend that much right now.

So this is where I am with the rear suspension now. I drilled out the bushing in the front stock shocks and moved them to the rear. I had to use some spacers between the shock mount and the shock bushing to make them fit. The ride is incredibly different from the original rear shocks (much smoother/softer).many of you will say "but now you can't adjust them" well , I rarely adjusted them before ,once I had them set where I wanted them anyhow and the ride sucked no matter where I set them!

So anyway , anybody that is looking for a much better ride over the stock setup , this is another alternative that would cost you roughly $400 and some of your time!

Thanks for listening to me ramble!!!!
Are you still running the coil-over Gabriels with this set up?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
No , I removed them, after I road for three days down at Hatfield and Mcoys..........they sucked! :)
Ha! Those trails really are the proving grounds for suspension! How many of us have gotten involved in suspension mods after a couple days on the Hatfield/McCoy trails?!? :p I'm goin back this wknd for a day ride. It's only a six hour drive each way.....:D

C

Chooglin

Ha! Those trails really are the proving grounds for suspension! How many of us have gotten involved in suspension mods after a couple days on the Hatfield/McCoy trails?!? :p I'm goin back this wknd for a day ride. It's only a six hour drive each way.....:D
Ya ,HM will test your machine for sure!

I will be trying this new setup at the takeover in April. After that trip , I need to make a decision, get rid of the machine , fork over the money for the W.E. or just be happy with what it is!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Ya ,HM will test your machine for sure!

I will be trying this new setup at the takeover in April. After that trip , I need to make a decision, get rid of the machine , fork over the money for the W.E. or just be happy with what it is!
I'm still waiting for the locker. My suspension set up is good, but speed and power are an issue on group rides for me, particularly when we have to run on the roads. I think if I were to get a different machine, I would do an air suspension set up on it as well. I may have to get a second machine just for the HM trails:).

Reactions: Chooglin
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Oh my !

Would love to have their rear shocks with the rebound adjustment. That would help keep the back from lifting off the ground through the whoops!
Stage 4 Elka's with rebound adjustment......$1000....$1250 CDN
It wont be happening for me .. lol

Although i'd love to try out a P5 with Elka stage 5 all adjusted up correctly. :)

Reactions: jay_man81
Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500

I just moved to your side of the country. I have been stationed at Ft Detrick and live in Harpers Ferry, WV. I might have to link up with you sometime, but sounds like you ride faster than I do. The top end doesn't bother me because I don't drive fast.

Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I'm still waiting for the locker. My suspension set up is good, but speed and power are an issue on group rides for me, particularly when we have to run on the roads. I think if I were to get a different machine, I would do an air suspension set up on it as well. I may have to get a second machine just for the HM trails:).

The P700 doesn't go much faster than our 500's does it? How about the Rangers, etc? Are you mostly riding with sport sxs like razors?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm at Trailhead ATV resort in Boissevain va right now. It's right on the border of WV. It's a fairly new trail system called the Spearhead trails, but we will be riding on the Hatfield/McCoy trails tomorrow- the trail head is about 3 miles from here, and riding on the roads is allowable. That's when the limited speed/power really causes me grief.... The P500 will do about 41 tops, on flat ground, but any incline, and you're down to 30-35. I'm riding with my two brothers- 570 & 1000 po-po quads. They have new rzr 900's for rent here, so I may rent one tomorrow to see what it's like. Both my brothers have driven the P500 now, and surprisingly, my brother with the new Scrambler 1000 really liked the P500 and was very surprised by how good it rides (air shocks) and how much fun the 5-speed manual trans adds to the machine, especially the engine braking on steep hill descents. I rode the 1000- O.M.G!! insanely powerful...fast....scary as hell going down steep trails- virtually no engine braking, and the 'on-demand' 4wd does not stay engaged on steep descents so the little bit of engine braking you can coax out of it by continually blipping the throttle mostly just causes the rear end to skitter around, so if you lose brakes around here- you're going to die... I was glad to get back in my under powered P500! The Polaris 570 was actually more fun to ride- I.M.H.O. than the 1000, and in low range actually had good engine braking, although you still have to keep blipping the throttle to keep the clutch engaged. So, rule out quads for me.. I will drive the new RZR to see what it's like driving a cvt sxs, but it will take a lot to impress me enough to give up my gear-box, and no matter what I might get in the future, it will have air shock suspension installed!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!