rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
For anyone who hasn't been following the "who wants a locker" thread, I managed to tear the top rear drivers side control arm mount away from the frame. It didn't come off completely, but it moved enough to make the machine almost unsteerable. (Is that a word?) Anyways, here's some pics of the damage. I did some video of the repair, but I'll have to post that later. After the repair was completed, I grabbed the drivers side wheel and checked to see if there was any slop in the suspension, steering etc, and found that there is like 1.5 in. of movement, slop, play, in the steering rack, only on the drivers side. So I'm going to replace the rack. I think alot of damage was done when I ripped the rack boot on that side last summer, and didn't catch it till the rack was full of dirt. I cleaned as best I could-at the time- without removing it, loaded it up with grease and replaced the boot. That was about 400 miles ago... so that'll be the next repair. View attachment 70708 View attachment 70709 View attachment 70712
Here's wat we did...

20171119 123613 20171119 123620

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Top .....Rear A-arm mount
.....seems to be..weak point

Reactions: JWB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The more I learn and mostly what I've observed using the air shocks, I'm surprised I haven't torn up more stuff. My riding consists mostly of climbing and descending rocky, mountain trails- every 'black diamond' we can find, or traversing the most difficult tight woods obstacles we can find. The air shocks allow the control arms to travel their entire available motion from full extension to full compression, and I've been doing that, virtually every ride for 1600 miles in about a year and a half. After seeing how poorly the top rear control arm mounts are secured, I'm even more amazed that the damn thing has stayed together this long. That front end has taken literally dozens of brutal hits, my front bumper is demolished, my skid plates have soft-ball sized dents, and gouges all over the place, I'm about to replace the drivers side tie-rod, or possibly the whole steering box, I've now replaced every boot- except the right rear inner CV (?) I believe it's a testament to how well overall the P500 is built. I've been modifying everything I've ever owned my whole life, and usually find that weak link in the stock set-up in days, or maybe weeks, but never years, let alone a thousand plus miles! So, absolutely, using the air shocks is going to wear stuff out quicker, particularly if you don't make some additional simple mods to stave off some of the excessive wear issues I've found along the way. If someone starts now, and makes all the additional improvements at initial install, that I've discovered and added along the way, the set up will probably go years and many thousands of miles without anything more than common sense maintenance, probably a life time for many riders, cuz I doubt most owners purposely push the machine to it's limits every time they ride.
We need to ride together! HA!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm posting a link to all the videos- spool and suspension demo, and the control arm repair one more time in case anyone wants to watch them. I'll have to take them down in a couple days to post the spool install vid. I think you can download the vids if you want to. Y'all are welcome to do whatever you want with em. If someone wants any of the vids or pics I have, pm me, and I'll send them, or re-post later.
EDIT: All vids on youtube now

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm posting a link to all the videos- spool and suspension demo, and the control arm repair one more time in case anyone wants to watch them. I'll have to take them down in a couple days to post the spool install vid. I think you can download the vids if you want to. Y'all are welcome to do whatever you want with em. If someone wants to any of the vids or pics I have, pm me, and I'll send them, or re-post later. JWB vids items 4-3-2018
Very helpful.....JWB.
It's true...the rear mount
...on the left upper A-arm
....is suspect to be....weakest
point..
props to you....on wat you done

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Very helpful.....JWB.
It's true...the rear mount
...on the left upper A-arm
....is suspect to be....weakest
point..
props to you....on wat you done
Thanks! When I post the spool install vids, you'll see how much easier it'll be to really address those mounts and get them supported way better.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I got the machine in the shop today to do the steering repair, and found that the rack and pinion is toast. End of life. Ordered complete new assembly. I did a video of what i found, and the spool install as well- found it!
All vids are on youtube now

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I got the machine in the shop today to do the steering repair, and found that the rack and pinion is toast. End of life. Ordered complete new assembly. I did a video of what i found, and the spool install as well- found it! JWB vids items 4-7-2018
Great...vids
...on steering rack.
Props

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I saw a billet R&P on Facebook that was supposed to fit the 500 & 700 pioneers. I am afraid to find out what it costs.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I saw a billet R&P on Facebook that was supposed to fit the 500 & 700 pioneers. I am afraid to find out what it costs.
Got a 1 to 1.25 coming for my rig, very pricy! I don't know if the same unit fits 500 through 1000 but they had three get Wednesday for a discounted price of $ 625.00 with stock internals. The one I have ordered has a faster turning rate, $ 850.00 plus shipping.

Reactions: JWB and Chooglin
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Got a 1 to 1.25 coming for my rig, very pricy! I don't know if the same unit fits 500 through 1000 but they had three get Wednesday for a discounted price of $ 625.00 with stock internals. The one I have ordered has a faster turning rate, $ 850.00 plus shipping.
I think you can rebuild the stock for for 300.00 TO $ 400.00 but you have a stock unit.

Reactions: pFive
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
The complete OEM Honda rack and pinion with an extra bushing, retaining ring, and shipping was about $290 from Babbitts

Reactions: pFive
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Before y'all go spend a pile of money on an aftermarket r & p box, I want to make sure that everyone understands that it's 100% my fault the stock one is failing- it's full of essentially grinding compound- sand mixed with grease. I'm not real comfortable with the lack of support for the rack on the drivers side end of the box, but that's not what's wrecking it. If I can add a support bushing to the new one, you can bet I will, but I can't see going beyond that at this point- at least on the P500. Now if you're running portals, and 34" tires with a spool or locker on your p500...:eek::D....- that's a different story!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Before y'all go spend a pile of money on an aftermarket r & p box, I want to make sure that everyone understands that it's 100% my fault the stock one is failing- it's full of essentially grinding compound- sand mixed with grease. I'm not real comfortable with the lack of support for the rack on the drivers side end of the box, but that's not what's wrecking it. If I can add a support bushing to the new one, you can bet I will, but I can't see going beyond that at this point- at least on the P500. Now if you're running portals, and 34" tires with a spool or locker on your p500...:eek::D....- that's a different story!
$ 290.00's not bad! Not good but??? Is that a complete unit with inner boot clamps and lock washers? Lee has a part # of 95018-46250 for a reusable clamp for the inner boot x 2? I would go ahead and get a new end rack bushing while your at it. Keep us posted!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
$ 290.00's not bad! Not good but??? Is that a complete unit with inner boot clamps and lock washers? Lee has a part # of 95018-46250 for a reusable clamp for the inner boot x 2? I would go ahead and get a new end rack bushing while your at it. Keep us posted!
No clamps or locks- no reason you can't just use hose clamps, or spring clamps in that position. It's just a spring clamp on the outer end anyways. I happen to have otieker clamps that fit it perfectly so I didn't have to order more clamps. I did order an extra bushing and retaining ring to try to install in the drivers side end of housing to support the rack better. I'm thinking this is gonna make a notable difference in steering effort (reduced) and add some life to the unit as well. I know I'm going to feel better about it:)

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!