P500 p5 suspension

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for taking the time to make the video @Duckhunt . I really hope grinding these teeth off become a trend because the machine behaves differently with them gone, and that would help the P5 reputation some.

Reactions: Duckhunt and JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
That's good input @JWB. I honestly thought about it but figured it would be fine so I'm glad you spoke up. Thanks!

I got all the stock bushings out of the Hijackers and installed Energy Suspension 9.8116 poly bushings. They are exact-fit replacements. I should have gotten the split ES bushings. But anyway, should have the air ride soon! Tomorrow if I get to it before Vikings. Priorities. Just starting out with 2 valves to combine front and rears, plan is to go to on-board compressor and multi-valves if works out. Again I like the fact it requires minimal mods to install. I also made bushings to accommodate stock diameter bolts (12mm x 140 rear, 10mm x 130 front). Trying to keep it real!

Also, You have no idea how many times this week I tried to think how I could "burn" out the molded rubber bushings and install poly bushings with floating bearing-inserts. LOL!!!!
The poly bushings is fantastic info! Would you mind posting this stuff in the P500 - P-500 Air Suspension Mod- JWB Mod thread? I'll start putting links to the new air shock thread in here so if anyone wants to do the air shock mod, they can find all this fantastic information in one place!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
That's good input @JWB. I honestly thought about it but figured it would be fine so I'm glad you spoke up. Thanks!

I got all the stock bushings out of the Hijackers and installed Energy Suspension 9.8116 poly bushings. They are exact-fit replacements. I should have gotten the split ES bushings. But anyway, should have the air ride soon! Tomorrow if I get to it before Vikings. Priorities. Just starting out with 2 valves to combine front and rears, plan is to go to on-board compressor and multi-valves if works out. Again I like the fact it requires minimal mods to install. I also made bushings to accommodate stock diameter bolts (12mm x 140 rear, 10mm x 130 front). Trying to keep it real!

Also, You have no idea how many times this week I tried to think how I could "burn" out the molded rubber bushings and install poly bushings with floating bearing-inserts. LOL!!!!
About the 'two valves' thing. I may be misunderstanding this, but you can't combine the front and rear systems together. If you do, the rear will drop, and the front will immediately top out, as rear pressure needs to be (I'm guesstimating) about 140psi, and the front about 75psi (average light load) The front and rear have to be isolated from each-other. However, you can join the rear, side to side, or the front, side to side. Not both at the same time though, cuz the machine will have zero 'roll' resistance, and will just lean stupidly to the heavy side. Unfortunately, if you do four corner air shocks, I think you have to have four separate valves minimum if you have a single fill point. I have six valves on mine. I'm going to go do a video to show just how I have done this to make it clearer, but it doesn't mean my way is the only way. There are different types of valves that can do multiple functions.

D

Duckhunt

About the 'two valves' thing. I may be misunderstanding this, but you can't combine the front and rear systems together. If you do, the rear will drop, and the front will immediately top out, as rear pressure needs to be (I'm guesstimating) about 140psi, and the front about 75psi (average light load) The front and rear have to be isolated from each-other. However, you can join the rear, side to side, or the front, side to side. Not both at the same time though, cuz the machine will have zero 'roll' resistance, and will just lean stupidly to the heavy side. Unfortunately, if you do four corner air shocks, I think you have to have four separate valves minimum if you have a single fill point. I have six valves on mine. I'm going to go do a video to show just how I have done this to make it clearer, but it doesn't mean my way is the only way. There are different types of valves that can do multiple functions.
Yup I meant tie the fronts together side to side, and tie the rears together side to side. But fronts and rear will never see each other. Basically doing what you started out as. And I'll go ahead and post part numbers and what I'm doing in your Air Suspension Mod.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Yup I meant tie the fronts together side to side, and tie the rears together side to side. But fronts and rear will never see each other. Basically doing what you started out as. And I'll go ahead and post part numbers and what I'm doing in your Air Suspension Mod.
Here's the video about the control valves:

Reactions: pFive and Duckhunt
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I am somewhat disappointed that you do not already have train horns... Jus sayin :)

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the help with the new thread!
When I initially went to a four corner set-up, I had four fill points, and all the shocks were isolated till I got all the fittings I needed to connect the valves. Prior to that, I had the fronts 'seeing' each-other all the time with one fill point, but I still had the stock shocks on rear, so there was still a lot of body roll resistance. You can't have the front set 'seeing' each-other side to side, if the rear set is also the same way, even if isolated from the front, due to complete lack of body roll resistance. It will just lean to the side with the most weight, unless you over-pressure the shocks to the top of their travel....

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW I almost never open my one valve anymore, with the locker it's not as hyper critical.

Reactions: JWB
D

Duckhunt

Thanks for the tips @JWB & @pFive. I was under the impression you'd open both so fronts and rears see each other when the trail got hairy. Just use the valve(s) to fill the fronts together and rears together so they match correct? Then close the valves. Maybe I will just fill the rears separately and have no valve to combine them.

My project is put on mini-hold because some fittings never showed up, but should tomorrow. However we're headed out of town next weekend (Duck Opener!!!) so probably won't install it until the next week. I just threw the stock shocks back in and tires on so I could use my garage for hunting prep this week. I did a test tonight quick with no sway bar and control arm teeth removed. Already made a difference!

Reactions: JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I want to share the experience I'm having with the new "delco" shocks. I've put about 120 miles on them in various terrain- mostly the mountain trails in VA. and WV. First thing I've noticed is that they seem to ride a little better than the previous set, but that may be because they're new. The second thing is that they don't seem to have the same load lifting power as the previous set, particularly in the rear, and mostly on the passenger side. With me and the Princess, and full tank of gas, 4 gallons of gas in the box, it will not pick up the passenger side rear. The fronts will still lift the machine quickly all the way to the top of their travel. This set up has always required more pressure in the rear due to rear shocks having more angle, and as the shocks compress, the angle increases, and makes the situation worse. The fronts will still 'jump' up even when the machine is loaded and going down a very steep slope. I'm still not comfortable with the limit strap set-up, but so far they are working fine, and haven't affected the performance of the machine in any noticeable way. We've got another day of riding, but when I get the machine home, I've got to figure out why the passenger side is so weak, and I think I want to move the mount points to make the shock angles on the rear the same as the fronts- if that's possible to do without over extending the control arms. If I can do this, it would lower the air pressure needed on the rears substantially, and solve the load carrying capacity issue that the other guys who've done the four corner set up have mentioned as well. As an added bonus, lowering the average pressure would also help in keeping the shocks from ripping themselves apart on full extensions...

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

I want to share the experience I'm having with the new "delco" shocks. I've put about 120 miles on them in various terrain- mostly the mountain trails in VA. and WV. First thing I've noticed is that they seem to ride a little better than the previous set, but that may be because they're new. The second thing is that they don't seem to have the same load lifting power as the previous set, particularly in the rear, and mostly on the passenger side. With me and the Princess, and full tank of gas, 4 gallons of gas in the box, it will not pick up the passenger side rear. The fronts will still lift the machine quickly all the way to the top of their travel. This set up has always required more pressure in the rear due to rear shocks having more angle, and as the shocks compress, the angle increases, and makes the situation worse. The fronts will still 'jump' up even when the machine is loaded and going down a very steep slope. I'm still not comfortable with the limit strap set-up, but so far they are working fine, and haven't affected the performance of the machine in any noticeable way. We've got another day of riding, but when I get the machine home, I've got to figure out why the passenger side is so weak, and I think I want to move the mount points to make the shock angles on the rear the same as the fronts- if that's possible to do without over extending the control arms. If I can do this, it would lower the air pressure needed on the rears substantially, and solve the load carrying capacity issue that the other guys who've done the four corner set up have mentioned as well. As an added bonus, lowering the average pressure would also help in keeping the shocks from ripping themselves apart on full extensions...
@JWB I still have some of the shock mounting brackets that I had made when I was trying to use the Progressive shocks on the rear of my machine. I think these would work great for your application to mount the dual air shocks on the rear.

p5 suspension

20161112 153241

20171202 132815

20180929 080320

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JWB and pFive
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
@JWB I still have some of the shock mounting brackets that I had made when I was trying to use the Progressive shocks on the rear of my machine. I think these would work great for your application to mount the dual air shocks on the rear.

p5 suspension

View attachment 88650

View attachment 88646

View attachment 88648

@Chooglin ! I totally forgot you had made those mounts..Those may be the ticket! Heading home in the morning, but probably won't do anything with the machine till next wknd- it's gonna be a busy week:(. Vacations never seem to be long enough....

Reactions: Chooglin
M

MarkAlan

Dec 10, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 500
I just found this thread, and have gone through it. It contains some great info. I know there are some issues with the arm bushings and have started looking into modifying the upper and lower arms by cutting the bushing off, welding a threaded bung on each tube. This would allow the use of a Currie Johnny Joint to replace the bushing. The JJ's are used a lot in the Jeep Wrangler world for suspension arms. I have them on my Wrangler, and they provide excellent flex and adjustability to the suspension. They also help with binding etc. The frame mount might need to be changed also, due to the size of the joint, but that would not be all that difficult. Currie makes several size JJ's and am sure one could be adapted to work with the P5. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated because I am sure I have missed something.

Reactions: JWB and pFive
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just found this thread, and have gone through it. It contains some great info. I know there are some issues with the arm bushings and have started looking into modifying the upper and lower arms by cutting the bushing off, welding a threaded bung on each tube. This would allow the use of a Currie Johnny Joint to replace the bushing. The JJ's are used a lot in the Jeep Wrangler world for suspension arms. I have them on my Wrangler, and they provide excellent flex and adjustability to the suspension. They also help with binding etc. The frame mount might need to be changed also, due to the size of the joint, but that would not be all that difficult. Currie makes several size JJ's and am sure one could be adapted to work with the P5. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated because I am sure I have missed something.

Any problems with OEM Honda bushings is the exception rather than the rule, there are literally machines decades old running that design without issues. Now those that use the machine like a crawdad and subject it to underwater mud and sand likely have far lower life expectancy, just like the brake pads. I read people getting only 300 to 400 miles out of brake pads that are in constant deep mud but then see many getting 2000 miles. It all depends upon how you use the machine. I would certainly not try to fix it if it isn't broken. For every person online crying about problems (misery loves company and a social media audience) there are 100 that are enjoying the machines without issues and not posting about it, something to consider. Of course some people aren't satisfied unless they fix it until it breaks so if that's your thing have at it.

Reactions: pappyo and TripleB
M

MarkAlan

Dec 10, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 500
Mine has been great with the mods that I have made. I dont drive underwater or mud up to the roof. I drive in rocky, mountain land. It was a question about suspension travel, and someone in a thread mentioned having issues with the joints. Now how true that is I dont know, as I have only had mine a year. I also know that adding a JJ would not mod it until it brakes. They are some of the most proven joints available and have been proven over many years in the offroad world. There are many cars that run them at King of the Hammers event every year. I know that they will allow for more suspension flex, and with that you could add additional travel.

Reactions: TripleB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Mine has been great with the mods that I have made. I dont drive underwater or mud up to the roof. I drive in rocky, mountain land. It was a question about suspension travel, and someone in a thread mentioned having issues with the joints. Now how true that is I dont know, as I have only had mine a year. I also know that adding a JJ would not mod it until it brakes. They are some of the most proven joints available and have been proven over many years in the offroad world. There are many cars that run them at King of the Hammers event every year. I know that they will allow for more suspension flex, and with that you could add additional travel.
You will only have bushing issues if you do the air-shock set up due to the dramatic increase in suspension travel that the contol arm bushings were not designed to deal with. Check out this link- you'll see why, and some other good information in regards to the control arm bushings

S

skinnyman

May 22, 2020
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone replaced the factory bushings on the control arms with a bearing? Maybe a greaseable one from a caster wheel with roller bearings?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!