P500 p5 suspension

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I just read in a different thread that Rocmar passed away on Monday. I never met him in person, but I feel like I just lost a friend. I always enjoyed reading..... his.... posts..... My deepest sympathy, and my prayers for his family. Rest in peace friend.
JWB

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I broke one of my shocks today...:( Fortunately, I was able to drive it back to the truck..... after alot of screwing around. The shock appears to have yanked itself apart, and then when I landed, ;) it folded itself in half and got up against the tire. Amazingly, it did no damage at all to the tire. I heard and felt the crunch when it landed, so I stopped very quickly. Of course, I forgot to bring my extra set with me (7hrs from home) so my weekend of riding really got cut short. I'm just going to go ahead and replace all the shocks, as they've all been topped-out hard countless times.
I certainly can't complain or feel bad- one $30 shock failure after over 1600 miles. Replacing all eight is gonna cost $240 (Autozone)

Last edited:
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I was pondering doing this pro-actively but have been lazy. What did you use? Post a pic so I can steal your idea lol...

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't done it yet, but I think we can use a 'standard' limit strap placed in between the shocks with the center spacers going through the holes of the limit strap, IF someone makes a proper length. If not, custom lengths may be possible- doing research right now- but I think we could make our own with cable and eyelets. Getting the length right will be the fussiest part. I'm gonna measure the full extended length of the shock, center of bushing hole to center of bushing hole, and then buy/make a limiter 1/2-3/4 in. shorter. Somehow have to account for stretch too. On a different note, I thought I had a full set (8) shocks sitting here, but I only have two sets, minus the leaker I replaced a year ago....:rolleyes: memory like a sieve.... so I'm off to order more shocks too...
I'll definitely take some pics too. Maybe video.
EDIT: The limit straps introduced new issues to deal with, and I ended up removing. I'm more careful about my air pressures now to avoid over-pressuring that causes the shocks to top out hard.

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Just got a rude surprise! I bought two sets of the hijackers last year for about $58/set. I just started looking, and suddenly the price is in the $100 range. How special... so now I'm looking at $400 instead of $240.:eek::mad:

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I broke one of my shocks today...:( Fortunately, I was able to drive it back to the truck..... after alot of screwing around. The shock appears to have yanked itself apart, and then when I landed, ;) it folded itself in half and got up against the tire. Amazingly, it did no damage at all to the tire. I heard and felt the crunch when it landed, so I stopped very quickly. Of course, I forgot to bring my extra set with me (7hrs from home) so my weekend of riding really got cut short. I think installing limiting straps is just about mandatory at this point in this project. I'm just going to go ahead and replace all the shocks, as they've all been topped-out hard countless times, and, install limiters.
I certainly can't complain or feel bad- one $30 shock failure after over 1600 miles. Replacing all eight is gonna cost $240 (Autozone)
So JWB, you had your P5 in the air? The manual on the P5 says for ground use only.

Reactions: JWB
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I have read removing the sway bar improves the ride, so I'm curious for those who have done this what is your experience? I would like to soften mine up some, but only want to do it if people are truly experiencing some significant differences....

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I have read removing the sway bar improves the ride, so I'm curious for those who have done this what is your experience? I would like to soften mine up some, but only want to do it if people are truly experiencing some significant differences....
Others may chime in, but may depend on riding style. Fast with sharp turns-likely not recommended. Slow uneven terrain-yes (I’m the latter, rocky and ruts.. and like it, just unhooked, still in place). With the locker, great crawler to tackle the tuff mudholes. Only thing above 30 with the P500 is my age. LOL. You can always hook it back easily after a try out.

Last edited:
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Others may chime in, but may depend on riding style. Fast with sharp turns-likely not recommended. Slow uneven terrain-yes (I’m the latter, rocky and ruts.. and like it, just unhooked, still in place). With the locker, great crawler to tackle the tuff mudholes. Only thing above 30 with the P500 is my age. LOL. You can always hook it back easily after a try out.
My riding is like yours, so I'm willing to try it. If available and not too much trouble could you post a picture where you unhooked it? I assume close to the wheel?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Oh man, don't get me started!!;)
If you're still running the stock shocks:rolleyes: (I think Honda calls them 'shocks' cuz thats what you feel if you hit any bumps!) it made a very (very) slight improvement on my machine, but I carry no weight up high- minimal accessories. If you carry a bunch of gear and/or accessories up high, you might notice it's removal a little more. I took mine off the second week I owned it. I took everything but the bushings on the frame off.
I.M.H.O. the 'sway' bar is way too stiff for most of us, but maybe if the machine is loaded to maximum capacity- I've never done that- it might be useful.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Just made a very interesting discovery. I've been trying to find a better price on the air shocks (Gabriel Hijackers 49304) all afternoon. Best price is amazon at $93, and worst $138 at Gabriel. That's per pair as a kit. I don't buy from amazon... I found them under an AC DELCO [HASHTAG]#504557[/HASHTAG] at Rock Auto for $65 per kit. They are Gabriel hijackers.... They even use the same picture. Here's the screen shot:
AC Delco Gabriel Hijackers

Reactions: pFive and Remington
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I started my shock swap today. Got the rears installed with the limit straps I made. Found some other issues that could be addressed- and will eventually- but at this point my time is extremely limited. So here's what I found after removing all four rear shocks. ALL the shock bushings were toast. Mostly the lower ones. All the bolts were slightly bent. All of the control arms are sloppy where they connect to the frame.
I made a jig to fabricate the limit straps, and that seemed to work fine, but, after I installed them, I realized that when the shock compresses the strap can bow in, or out. It's a problem when it goes inwards, cuz it hits the air lines, and could possibly grab the fittings on it's return to tight as the suspension de-compresses. So I stretched some small bungee cords across the shocks to keep the strap going in the right direction as the suspension compresses. I'm not really confident in this set-up at this point, but it definitely works..
I'm going to start a new thread dealing strictly with the air-shock mod, so anyone who wants to do it, can get all the info in one place, and not have to read through the whole suspension thread. So here's some pics of what I did today. Sorry about the quality of some of these- I was using the shop camera....
EDIT: I ran this set up for a few hundred miles, and then removed for fear of interference issues, and they were starting to rub through stuff.

DSCN0661 DSCN0662 DSCN0663 DSCN0666 DSCN0667 DSCN0668 DSCN0669 DSCN0670 DSCN0671 DSCN0673

Last edited:
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
20180608 185103
hey guess what i am still running the progressives without adjusting a thing and beat my machine 4xs as yours so again everyone can do the math and this or that but still the original is the best and im the first ever to modify the p5 suspension and the research ive done is still the best you can do ...... cheaper then the WEs and no where close to the problems of the airs sooooo yea i have more longevity more travel more reliability just more everything with none of the negatives ........ so ....... yea the rhino shocks still better no matter how you swing it or how you try and sell it i still use the same shocks on my lifts which are stretched

Reactions: MSmillie
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Looks amazing! How much wider is it now? Did you have to get custom axles, tie rods, or from another machine?

Reactions: jak9922

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!