Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Interior storage in the 500 has always been a challenge. Cargo bag, glove box, console, even that under seat sh** :rolleyes: they all help with small items but still aren't enough. Found myself filling those with stuff and no place to put personal items when going on a ride, wallet, 2 phones, keys, cheater glasses, EDC, these are things I want right next to me and to have access to while rolling. Read in another thread where there was no room for any under dash storage in a P5 and that it would certainly hinder leg room or encroach on the passenger. So that was the goal going in, place to put stuff without confining the riders anymore than they are already. I'd call this out of the way, what do ya think? You can't even see it in this shot.

Storage Net No See

Here it is...

Storage Net
Storage Net 1

Used 1/4" rod, cut and bent to fit this area. 1/4" rubber insulated hose clamps to attach, didn't want any rattling. Four holes and four 1/4" bolts was all it took. Everything is aluminum or stainless but all got painted anyway so it won't rust. The only unknown is how the net will hold up. Bought the best stuff I could find at the time but stumbled onto, what I think is, better stuff yesterday so I ordered it. Now that this one is in it would probably hold up fine, pretty stout but if I can get better stuff, quality takes precedence.
As for the amount of room, this ended up being about 15" wide and about 7" tall. It's not just a flat wall behind it either, there is a void and with the angle of the net gives about 3 1/2" at its deepest point. Here's a pic of what I've put in there already.

Storage Net Contents

Three pairs of glasses and a couple pairs of gloves are fitting comfortably, the net's barely flexing.

Storage Net 2

No doubt more could be stuffed in there if needed. I don't plan to carry anything very heavy or sharp in there, don't want to cut the net or stretch it out too bad over time. What started out as an adventure in working with plastic and it going horribly wrong, turned out to be a fairly simple mod. Decent amount of storage without taking up any useful cab space.
Oh, and now I'm done. 😉

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interior storage in the 500 has always been a challenge. Cargo bag, glove box, console, even that under seat sh** :rolleyes: they all help with small items but still aren't enough. Found myself filling those with stuff and no place to put personal items when going on a ride, wallet, 2 phones, keys, cheater glasses, EDC, these are things I want right next to me and to have access to while rolling. Read in another thread where there was no room for any under dash storage in a P5 and that it would certainly hinder leg room or encroach on the passenger. So that was the goal going in, place to put stuff without confining the riders anymore than they are already. I'd call this out of the way, what do ya think? You can't even see it in this shot.

View attachment 238217

Here it is...

View attachment 238222 View attachment 238226

Used 1/4" rod, cut and bent to fit this area. 1/4" rubber insulated hose clamps to attach, didn't want any rattling. Four holes and four 1/4" bolts was all it took. Everything is aluminum or stainless but all got painted anyway so it won't rust. The only unknown is how the net will hold up. Bought the best stuff I could find at the time but stumbled onto, what I think is, better stuff yesterday so I ordered it. Now that this one is in it would probably hold up fine, pretty stout but if I can get better stuff, quality takes precedence.
As for the amount of room, this ended up being about 15" wide and about 7" tall. It's not just a flat wall behind it either, there is a void and with the angle of the net gives about 3 1/2" at its deepest point. Here's a pic of what I've put in there already.

View attachment 238245

Three pairs of glasses and a couple pairs of gloves are fitting comfortably, the net's barely flexing.

View attachment 238257

No doubt more could be stuffed in there if needed. I don't plan to carry anything very heavy or sharp in there, don't want to cut the net or stretch it out too bad over time. What started out as an adventure in working with plastic and it going horribly wrong, turned out to be a fairly simple mod. Decent amount of storage without taking up any useful cab space.
Oh, and now I'm done. 😉
Looks pretty good, storage is the biggest issue on the 500. Having said that, I’ve added additional storage to my 700 and 1000 so maybe I just have too much s***! 😂

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I like it, have to add this to my list of ideas to steal.

But I am wondering what the first idea looked like.
In my mind I want to try a fiberglass over foam to make an under dash unit (just in the center to keep leg room).
But I haven't actually sat in the vehicle and thought about where and how.
Keep thinking it might be like most of my bright ideas - works in my head but when I look at the actual space avalible I start to wonder what I was smoking.
At least now I have a backup idea.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I like it, have to add this to my list of ideas to steal.

But I am wondering what the first idea looked like.
In my mind I want to try a fiberglass over foam to make an under dash unit (just in the center to keep leg room).
But I haven't actually sat in the vehicle and thought about where and how.
Keep thinking it might be like most of my bright ideas - works in my head but when I look at the actual space avalible I start to wonder what I was smoking.
At least now I have a backup idea.

Had plastic on 2 sides and bottom, gave a little more room but not much. Still had the net on the face of it but no 1/4" rod, was using a plastic frame that came with the net but had to hack it all up to make it work. Was far too complicated and not very pretty either. Plastic doesn't bend right or maybe I just don't have the tools to do it right. When you get it hot enough to bend, everything around it starts warping too, not fun! Had to bail on that idea and rethink the whole thing. It was becoming personal when I had the "aha" moment! Cost me some time and cussing to come up with such a simple design but no regrets.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Haven't been around to give ya a 'nice job by you'. Almost butchered up a plastic 'milk' crate under there one time but moved on to what I was supposed to be doing....

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Not one comment is a little concerning! Does it look like sh**... something I'm not seeing... stupid idea and the net's going to fall apart?
Even if you're just sick of my BS and want to call me an a**hole? 🤔
OK it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen in my life!!!! LOL No it looks great and what a simple solution.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it looks good. This one isn't for me personally though. The long term stretch out of any cargo net type material I've ever seen just leaves it off of my shopping list. You did a great job with it and I'm sure there will be some interest in it though.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Don't know that I'd want to start making these for sale or not but I may have an extra one when it's all said and done. Ordered enough of the new net for two. Pieces and parts aren't terribly expensive and the only extra tools needed would be a hot knife and a bender. Anyone planning on doing this for themselves, buy an extra rod. It's almost guaranteed that you're going to screw the first one up, I did. Don't know what I'd charge either, have to see how much time goes into one now that I have a road map. I guess if anyone's interested just shoot me a PM.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think it looks good. This one isn't for me personally though. The long term stretch out of any cargo net type material I've ever seen just leaves it off of my shopping list. You did a great job with it and I'm sure there will be some interest in it though.

New net is supposed to have tighter weave and less flex. It shipped out this morning so we'll see.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good work @trigger . Definitely don’t have a lot of room to work with. The only other place I considered for cab storage would be an ammo box secured on the flat angled floor piece, but it would need metal backing.

BC2C632F 6128 4F9D A29F 2AF89A53E67E

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!