Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Get you a little flux core wire welder and a auto darkening helmut. Practice on some scrap steel. It wont take long and youll have it figured out. It will open up doors for you. The next shop tool i want is a tubing bender. Thats when i'll really start making cool stuff. I have visions of extended arched a-arms dancing in my head right now! Lol
I wouldn't take for my auto darkening helmet!!!!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Haha yes monte the auto darkening helmuts are the bomb diggity. You dont even need an expensive one either, i know from experience. I had a $360 speedglass helmut when i was in the navy, lasted about 6 months. I fried the circuit board from me sweating and it dripping onto the glass on the inside of the helmut and seeping into the circuit board. When i got out of the navy i got a $180 hobart auto helmut, lasted 6 months. Got a $180 miller auto helmut, lasted 6 months. Harbour freight came to gainesville with their chinese stuff. Got a $50 auto helmut from them about 8 or 9 years ago and its still going strong. You can get them for cheaper than that now. I noticed tractor supply has auto helmuts now for $35.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Haha yes monte the auto darkening helmuts are the bomb diggity. You dont even need an expensive one either, i know from experience. I had a $360 speedglass helmut when i was in the navy, lasted about 6 months. I fried the circuit board from me sweating and it dripping onto the glass on the inside of the helmut and seeping into the circuit board. When i got out of the navy i got a $180 hobart auto helmut, lasted 6 months. Got a $180 miller auto helmut, lasted 6 months. Harbour freight came to gainesville with their chinese stuff. Got a $50 auto helmut from them about 8 or 9 years ago and its still going strong. You can get them for cheaper than that now. I noticed tractor supply has auto helmuts now for $35.

$35...wow! I was a welder for three years right outta high school back in the '80's. Tubing factory, lots of brackets, flanges and fittings...all mig. Would've killed for one of those helmets.
I've never bought a welder all these years, couldn't warrant spending that much on something I rarely use or need. Looks like a guy could be welding for a couple hundred bucks nowadays. Hmmmm.

Reactions: Montecresto
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yes trigger youre right. You can find great deals on fully set up high end welders on places like craigslist nowadays. I used to go into tractor supply and drool over the hobart handler 210, which at the time was about $950.00 I would tell myself one day im gonna come back and buy that damn thing. I liked it because you could take the steel welding stinger off and put the aluminum spool.gun on and weld aluminum. Well one day i typed in 'mig welder' on craigslist gainesville, and the first thing that popped up was some guy in ocala selling the very welder i wanted from tractor supply, he only wanted $400.00!! I called him and told him im jumping in the truck right now and coming to buy it from him. There is surely better welders than mine out there, but i have been impressed over and over again by what this thing can do. I love it.

Reactions: trigger
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I got a little update. Ive almost got the exhaust complete. One of the things i was worried about was how i was gonna join the steel pipe coming from the muffler to the aluminum pipe coming from the stack. Well i found one of my cheater pipes that i slip over wrenches was almost big enough on the inside the slide the aluminum pipe into. I took the flap wheel to the aluminum pipe and the burr bit to the inside of the piece of the cheater pipe that i cut off, and pressed the aluminum into the steel coupling, and i mean PRESSED it in! That motha is Tight! It wont leak water in gauranteed. After i pressed the pipe coupling on i welded a flat plate closing up the coupling and then i drilled out the center of the plate to the same size as another pipe a little smaller. I cut this pipe 4" long and slipped it inside the hole that i drilled and welded it in. I made a bracket that bolts to the 2 passenger side rear rack bolts and is welded to the piece of pipe. Also the curved aluminum pipe is welded into the bottom of the stack now. I was kinda worried about maybe something getting slung up by the tire and hitting the union coupling and knocking it loose so i welded a few aluminum tabs on the aluminum pipe right up against the steel coupling, then i welded a few steel tabs off of the steel coupling and they meet up with the aluminum tabs. I will be able to drill a hole through both sets of tabs and put screws through them to keep the union together. I havent welded the curved steel pipe yet that comes out of the mufflerand curves around and slips inside the 4" long piece of pipe that has the bracket welded to it. I put the curved pipe in place though and started it up. I was able to rev it long enough to watch the exhaust stack blow dust and dirt out the top! It was cool! It seemed to run fine and not make a difference on how it runs. I would say the stack maybe made it have a little throatier sound. I will finish weld it tomorrow and clean it up then paint it high heat gloss black. I am gonna have to build a rear bumper to protect the bend where it comes out of the muffler. I actually thought of drilling a hole in the side of the muffler the same size as the hole in the back of the muffler and just welding a cap over the back of the muffler and have the new exhaust exit come out the side over by the passenger side rear a-arm. Then just route the exhaust pipe from that hole to the stack. I dont know the internal workings of a muffler though, so i dont know if that would work or not. Normally i wouldnt be scared to just say f-it and drill a big hole there, but im kinda in a time crunch. We're camping and riding next weekend at hogwaller. Anyway, i just realized this is getting really long lol. Sorry yall. Lol Heres some pics. I know thats what i like to see, pics.

20170211 170207 20170211 170222 20170211 170230 20170211 170322 20170211 170329 20170211 170341 20170211 170350

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok a little update. The exhaust is fully welded now. There is no apparent change in the way it runs. It doesnt seem to overheat or have a lack of power. It sounds mean now too! It has a nice little rumble to it! I noticed it blows condensation out of the stack, and apparently one of my aluminum welds where the aluminum pipe is welded in the bottom of the stack is seeping the condensation out through the welded. That got me to thinking. Maybe i should drill and tap the bottom of the stack right next to where the pipe is welded in and have a little brass petcock or something to drain condesation or something. The aluminum pipe goes up in the stack probably over an inch, so condensation will collect between it and the wall of the 3 inch stack. I think im gonna clean the pipes up for now and let it cools off. I think im gonna try to build a bumper for it to protect it while its cooling and then when its cooled off paint it all with the high heat paint. Ok heres a few pics before clean up and paint.

20170212 104750 20170212 104757 20170212 104813

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Got the exhaust finished ant painted. Even built a rear bumper real quick today to kinda protect it. The bumper isnt finished. I will be capping off the ends and adding more bracing, possibly a 2nd tube above the first. We'll see. The exhaust is cleaned and painted with high heat bbq gloss black. It runs good and doesnt overheat. I rode it a good bit today around the dirtroad. No problems. Am i the first person to do this?! I have looked high and low on the internet and i cant find a utv with an exhaust stack. I can find plenty of 4 wheelers with them though coming up behind the rear rack. Whenever i make additions to the bumper i guess ill just add it to this thread instead of starting a bumper thread. Heres some pics

20170212 113324 20170212 114001 20170212 121336 20170212 130955 20170212 132959 20170212 133923 20170212 134018 20170212 151258 20170212 161448 20170212 160404

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Got the exhaust finished ant painted. Even built a rear bumper real quick today to kinda protect it. The bumper isnt finished. I will be capping off the ends and adding more bracing, possibly a 2nd tube above the first. We'll see. The exhaust is cleaned and painted with high heat bbq gloss black. It runs good and doesnt overheat. I rode it a good bit today around the dirtroad. No problems. Am i the first person to do this?! I have looked high and low on the internet and i cant find a utv with an exhaust stack. I can find plenty of 4 wheelers with them though coming up behind the rear rack. Whenever i make additions to the bumper i guess ill just add it to this thread instead of starting a bumper thread. Heres some pics

View attachment 33249 View attachment 33250 View attachment 33251 View attachment 33252 View attachment 33253 View attachment 33254 View attachment 33255 View attachment 33256 View attachment 33257 View attachment 33258
Dam whish I had some of your skills..

Reactions: Bastardchild
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Don't want to be rude but whats the purpose of routing your exhaust like that..

To keep from taking water in. It's not a problem if you're moving but if you stop or stall engine with exhaust under water it'll suck it into the engine. They had a snorkel type HMF available when I bought mine but I don't do much deep water riding so didn't opt for it.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
To keep from taking water in. It's not a problem if you're moving but if you stop or stall engine with exhaust under water it'll suck it into the engine. They had a snorkel type HMF available when I bought mine but I don't do much deep water riding so didn't opt for it.
Oh ok ....The highest water crossing or mud hole i go through is normally no higher then the my 25'' tires,but i may add a snorkle later on..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!