P500 P500's a real pita in the cold

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
A real annoyance to me is the throttle cut out for shifting until they are warmed up. Seems to be especially bad on the new auto.
Everytime you take off in first/low, then try to shift to second, the throttle cut out makes the engine stall. Start it up and take off, try to shift, same thing again. So then a person has to stay in the same gear until it warms up a little.
The ES on the 4 wheelers don't have that cut out and shift just fine when they are cold.
Hopefully somebody will come up with a way to do away with it.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Mines fine in the cold
.....but I Usally start it
up....while gathering
my ramps....other
bulls***...
I'm gonna try just jumping
in & see wat happens

Reactions: joeymt33
M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500
Mines fine in the cold
.....but I Usally start it
up....while gathering
my ramps....other
bulls***...
I'm gonna try just jumping
in & see wat happens
I'll check mine in the morning, it'll be 19 here with windchill around 12*

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I can confirm they are very cold blooded as far as that shift from L to 2 at first in the cold...and yes, huge pita.... once you get it to shift then its fine, but the cutout is annoying when it wont shift, never had that issue on our rancher es. But like @Buford said they didnt have the cutout on them.

Reactions: rocmar
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Start in 2nd. I seldom start in 1st, unless steep hill or otherwise need to go that slow. FWIW: I have 26" tires.
Trouble is you have to remember to leave it in 2 when you park it then. Otherwise you still need to get past L...

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Trouble is you have to remember to leave it in 2 when you park it then. Otherwise you still need to get past L...

I always leave mine in neutral in the garage and roll it out into the driveway to start. I do start it and let it run for a while, but always shift to 2nd before moving. Are you saying that stationary, when cold, you can't shift past 1st? If so, sorry, I haven't seen that or been cold enough.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I always leave mine in neutral in the garage and roll it out into the driveway to start. I do start it and let it run for a while, but always shift to 2nd before moving. Are you saying that stationary, when cold, you can't shift past 1st? If so, sorry, I haven't seen that or been cold enough.
I'd have to go out and confirm if it will go right to 2 before moving or not. But i think it will only shift if you move it, so you need to go into L and move a bit or it wont actually change gears. It makes a click like it wants to shift, they just dont actually upshift when cold. I mean real cold. I think its better when its warm out. Its currently 20° with a windchill of 9°, so im in no hurry to play outside right now since i dont have snow to plow:D

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I let it run...
to warm up
while I get all
my s*** into
one bag. ....then
think hard of where
I put the bag

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
i think it will only shift if you move it, so you need to go into L and move a bit or it wont actually change gears.

I just went out in the garage and tried this. Turned the key to on, did not start it, put foot on brake and was able to shift into 1st and 2nd and back down to neutral. It is snowing here, but probably 45 degrees in the garage.

Reactions: Shadesmn
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I just went out in the garage and tried this. Turned the key to on, did not start it, put foot on brake and was able to shift into 1st and 2nd and back down to neutral. It is snowing here, but probably 45 degrees in the garage.
So it changed gears then? Or did it just show 2 on the display? Not trying to be cynical, just wondering. It sounds like i will be pushing some snow on Saturday so ill check mine then.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
So it changed gears then? Or did it just show 2 on the display? Not trying to be cynical, just wondering. It sounds like i will be pushing some snow on Saturday so ill check mine then.

Yes, I heard the normal gearcase clunk on shift. I'm sure if I started it would be in 2nd. If it didn't shift I would see a "-" on the shift display.

Reactions: rocmar and Shadesmn
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Start in 2nd. I seldom start in 1st, unless steep hill or otherwise need to go that slow. FWIW: I have 26" tires.

Yeah, I never start in L under normal conditions. I park it in neutral and have never had a problem shifting up to 2nd.
Haven't ran it when it's been real cold out though.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, I heard the normal gearcase clunk on shift. I'm sure if I started it would be in 2nd. If it didn't shift I would see a "-" on the shift display.
Cool. I'll have to check mine. I just know if i do go to L first, she puts up a fight going to 2 from there. Cant recall if going right to 2 has ever worked...i probably have done it and dont even realize. Thats what i usually did with our rancher, so i may do it out of habit when its warm out...

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I never start in L under normal conditions. I park it in neutral and have never had a problem shifting up to 2nd.
Haven't ran it when it's been real cold out though.
Pretty sure i start in 2 when its warm and im riding. Lately I've only been using it on the driveway and going slow to keep the snow where i want it. Usually dont go past L when pushing just to keep momentum but not lose traction by trying to go too fast and push too much at the same time.:). Plus my driveway is pretty small so i need to use as much seat time as i can to play in the snow;)

Reactions: trigger and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Pretty sure i start in 2 when its warm and im riding. Lately I've only been using it on the driveway and going slow to keep the snow where i want it. Usually dont go past L when pushing just to keep momentum but not lose traction by trying to go too fast and push too much at the same time.:). Plus my driveway is pretty small so i need to use as much seat time as i can to play in the snow;)

P5 is cold blooded
on the shifting...when
cold...just how it goes
give it a minute. ...you'll
be fine

Reactions: MrP500
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Cool. I'll have to check mine. I just know if i do go to L first, she puts up a fight going to 2 from there. Cant recall if going right to 2 has ever worked...i probably have done it and dont even realize. Thats what i usually did with our rancher, so i may do it out of habit when its warm out...

Hey shade
....get a vid of
that BadAss p5
pushing snow with
that 66

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!